PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: External Hard Drive Asks To Format Chkdsk Does Not Work - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

External Hard Drive Asks To Format Chkdsk Does Not Work

#1 User is offline   mistersink 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

My Western Digital 1TB passport (NTFS) P/N: WDBABM0010BBK-00 recently started asking me to format it whenever I plug it in. I keep my itunes library (including the .itl library file) on the hard drive, and the last thing I did was have the hard drive plugged in and itunes open and I put my computer in hibernate. When it woke up it asked to format. This has happened to my other Western Digital passport, but I was able to fix it with a "CHKDSK J: /r /f", but that isn't working this time.

The results of CHKDSK are here:

http://postimage.org/image/5wkpuaz8b/

I also tried testdisk based on another forum post.

The results of testdisk are here:

http://postimage.org/image/8u3wis2q9/

I also tried plugging it into my pc booted up in ubuntu, but the hard drive didn't show up. I don't really know anything about linux, I just heard that might help.

I thought of formatting and then using some kind of recovery tool, but I don't know of any or how to use them.

Anyone have a solution to this? Thanks!

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

OK, it's not a software problem then, since Ubuntu didn't detect it. Have you tried another PC or at least another USB port? I wonder if there might be disk corruption. In devmgmt.msc (type that into the start menu, it's disk management), what does it show for the drive?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   Kazmatron 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 31 March 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

OK, it's not a software problem then, since Ubuntu didn't detect it. Have you tried another PC or at least another USB port? I wonder if there might be disk corruption. In devmgmt.msc diskmgmt.msc (type that into the start menu, it's disk management), what does it show for the drive?

Fixed that for ya. devmgmt.msc is the device manager.

Anyways, it appears that going into hibernation while being plugged in might have corrupted your partition. You can try to recover the data with Recuva, I've had good results with this tool in the past.

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

<smacks self on head>Duh! Why was I thinking that?

Certainly, I suppose Recuva is worth a try.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   mistersink 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

i tried different computers and usb ports. so will I have to reformat and then run recuva? is there a good guide so that i don't mess this up?

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Just run Recuva - DON'T format the drive before doing it.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users