PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Is It Possible To Get Internet Without A Service Provider? - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is It Possible To Get Internet Without A Service Provider?

#1 User is offline   GamerSim 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

I was just wondering if its possible to get wired internet and wi-fi without the use of a internet service provider?(Ex. AT&T Time Warner ect.) Because I currently have AT&T and I wanted to know if it would save money to set up my own internet.

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Somehow, someway you need an access point. Short of stealing your neighbors WIFI signal and accessing the internet that way, you need a gateway to get on the web. An ISP, whatever flavor is needed as that access point.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostGamerSim, on 14 April 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

I was just wondering if its possible to get wired internet and wi-fi without the use of a internet service provider?(Ex. AT&T Time Warner ect.) Because I currently have AT&T and I wanted to know if it would save money to set up my own internet.

No. You can grow your own food and manufacture your own electricity, but someone has to connect you to the Internet. And unless you live in a town that provides it for free (in which case you're paying for it with your taxes), you'll have to pay for it.

You may be able to shop around for a bargain. In most places in the US, you've got a duopoly (such as your choices: AT&T or Time Warner), which means prices are probably higher than they should be. But there can still be bargains. For instance, here in the Bay Area, where the duopoly is AT&T or Comcast, I recently discovered a small company (sonic.net) that leases lines from AT&T and provides DSL for a cheaper price. I went from $60 a month for a no-frills landline and 6Mbps DSL to $40 a month for a landline with a lot of frills (caller ID, unlimited free calls in the US) and 10Mbps DSL.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Lincoln: really?? I have to look into that. I've used just about every provider available and this could save me some money, having just retired and looking to cut all the costs I can. I started out with TCI when they first offered broadband. This then morphed into ATTBROADBAND and the Comcast. I presently use ATT for landline and DSL and Directv for TV. I'll be dumping the satelite soon and using my outside antenna for the TV. I do wish to remain with AT for landline but the broadband is eating a bigger hole in my budget than I would like and an alternative is needed. Thanks for the info.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

@mjd Here's my suggestion - call up your service provider and threaten to cancel, and they might give you a lower rate. My dad has done that with directtv several times - once the cheaper rate expires, threaten to cancel again, and so on... I have ATT for a landline phone, Comcast for internet (currently on the intro rate, and when that expires my dad'll probably threaten to cancel so we can get the lower rate), and OTA the air tv (and stuff like hulu plus and netflix).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   GamerSim 

• Pip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 14 April 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Somehow, someway you need an access point. Short of stealing your neighbors WIFI signal and accessing the internet that way, you need a gateway to get on the web. An ISP, whatever flavor is needed as that access point.

So basically what your saying is that all I need is a Gateway and that would allow me to get free internet access? Also, would a gateway give me wi-fi or would I need a router for that?

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostGamerSim, on 15 April 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

So basically what your saying is that all I need is a Gateway and that would allow me to get free internet access? Also, would a gateway give me wi-fi or would I need a router for that?

You need an ISP for internet. Then, you need a modem to connect to it, and a router is recommended.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Yes, a gateway. Fot ATT, it's on a pole or a box probably within five blocks. I've even seen fiber units on major trunks. I have ATT fiberoptic dropped in the main box but I'm not using it. They use it for TV. The gateway is basically a concentrator and collector with a converter. Collects the individual line pairs and mixes the with the rest in as many stages as needed and converted for the fiberoptic line to the central office. Unless you're skilled with a ladder and know how to drop a line from a pole, You ned to call for service. You could get satelite internat and I think they have up to a T1 equivilent (4MHZ) .

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 15 April 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Yes, a gateway. Fot ATT, it's on a pole or a box probably within five blocks. I've even seen fiber units on major trunks. I have ATT fiberoptic dropped in the main box but I'm not using it. They use it for TV. The gateway is basically a concentrator and collector with a converter. Collects the individual line pairs and mixes the with the rest in as many stages as needed and converted for the fiberoptic line to the central office. Unless you're skilled with a ladder and know how to drop a line from a pole, You ned to call for service. You could get satelite internat and I think they have up to a T1 equivilent (4MHZ) .

Besides, doing that likely isn't legal anyway! :D
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   GamerSim 

• Pip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:08 AM

Thanks everyone, all of your answers have been very helpful in answering my questions.

#11 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

View Postmjd420nova, on 15 April 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Lincoln: really?? I have to look into that. I've used just about every provider available and this could save me some money, having just retired and looking to cut all the costs I can. I started out with TCI when they first offered broadband. This then morphed into ATTBROADBAND and the Comcast. I presently use ATT for landline and DSL and Directv for TV. I'll be dumping the satelite soon and using my outside antenna for the TV. I do wish to remain with AT for landline but the broadband is eating a bigger hole in my budget than I would like and an alternative is needed. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if Sonic's service stretches as far south as Fremont, but it's definitely worth your time to check out.

One thing about Sonic you should know: They advertise their DSL service as 20Mbps, which led me to expect that it would be around 17 or 18 (you know that story). But I usually get more like 10 (I just got 11.63, my best so far). Still a good bargain.

I dumped satellite a year ago. With the Internet, who needs it?

And congratulations on retirement. May be a long and happy one.

Lincoln

#12 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Gamer--

You might also want to check out CanMy Neighbor and I Share an Internet Connection?

Lincoln

#13 User is offline   GamerSim 

• Pip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 16 April 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Gamer--

You might also want to check out CanMy Neighbor and I Share an Internet Connection?

Lincoln

Thanks Lincoln, I think I might have to check into if its legal or not to set up a free internet connection.

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 16 April 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

One thing about Sonic you should know: They advertise their DSL service as 20Mbps, which led me to expect that it would be around 17 or 18 (you know that story). But I usually get more like 10 (I just got 11.63, my best so far). Still a good bargain.

When I had AT&T DSL, they claimed 1.5mbps down, 384kbps up, but I realistically got more like 1.25mbps down, 250kbps up. With comcast, I'm paying for 15mbps down, 3mbps up, and getting speeds right around there. Just the other day, I was at a verizon store, and did a speedtest - 25mbps down, 15mbps up. Man, 4G LTE really is fast... the stupid thing there is that you won't really be able to enjoy it with HD video all that much, or you'll hit your data cap. (I don't have a smartphone yet, but am considering getting one, and may want to use it for tethering a little if I can find a way to do that without getting caught.)
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   ron34689 

• Pip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

GamerSim, on 14 April 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

No. You can grow your own food and manufacture your own electricity, but someone has to connect you to the Internet. And unless you live in a town that provides it for free (in which case you're paying for it with your taxes), you'll have to pay for it.

"but someone has to connect you to the Internet"

So to boil it down to what it is, how do I become the "someone who does connect me to the internet?

The "someone who connects me to the internet" is connecting themselves,are they not? There must be a way to do it for your self, and for the people in the know,please make it as simple as you can with the tech talk if at all possible. ty...

btw, I read where there was talk about dropping lines from poles and what not, I don't think thats something that if you could do would make you want to do it as you would likely get a great deal from the companie you work for or worked for to have the experience necessary to accomplish said task.

An example I can site is that the people who work for TW where I live get free phone,cable tv and internet...

But more to the point, is there not a way to set up my own connection to the internet with whatever equipment? Say something like having it located in my spare room?

What do the people in the mid-east do to connect to the internet? They sure don't pay for a line to be dropped out in the desert somewhere...

#16 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi, GamerSim, and welcome to the forum.

Before I address your question, let me suggest something about posting questions: If you have a question, you'd be far better off postiing it as a new discussion, rather than adding it the bottom of an existing question--especially if no one has posted anything on that discussion for a year.

The answer to your question is no. You can grow your own food and even make your own electricity, but the Internet involves you connecting to a worldwide data network. No one is going to give you that connection for free.

You're currently paying AT&T for a connection. AT&T is paying a lot more for a much bigger connection, and then spending more money to bring that connection to your house. To become that "someone who does connect me to the internet" takes a huge investment.

Which isn't to say that AT&T isn't overcharging you. They quite likely are. In most of the US, Internet access is controlled by a monopoly or at best a duopoly, and the lack of competition results in artificially high prices.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where a smaller company, Sonic.net, competes with AT&T and Comcast. They're a bargain.

Lincoln

#17 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sonic runs of AT&T's lines though, right? In my case, my options are Sonic (though they refuse to tell me what kind of speed I'll get before I sign up, but I suspect it's not much because of what AT&T has), AT&T (only 1.5mbs DSL, even though U-verse is available a mile or two away), and Comcast (I hate those guys, but at least they have good speeds). Not exactly what I would consider competition...
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   Sansken 

• Pip

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

View Postron34689, on 11 April 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

GamerSim, on 14 April 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

"but someone has to connect you to the Internet"

So to boil it down to what it is, how do I become the "someone who does connect me to the internet?

The "someone who connects me to the internet" is connecting themselves,are they not? There must be a way to do it for your self, and for the people in the know,please make it as simple as you can with the tech talk if at all possible. ty...

btw, I read where there was talk about dropping lines from poles and what not, I don't think thats something that if you could do would make you want to do it as you would likely get a great deal from the companie you work for or worked for to have the experience necessary to accomplish said task.

An example I can site is that the people who work for TW where I live get free phone,cable tv and internet...

But more to the point, is there not a way to set up my own connection to the internet with whatever equipment? Say something like having it located in my spare room?

What do the people in the mid-east do to connect to the internet? They sure don't pay for a line to be dropped out in the desert somewhere...

I think the main thing to point out is just HOW an ISP provides access to the Internet. All ISPs connect to various datacenters around the world. These datacenters house what is needed for one ISP to connect to another. The routers will then determine routes to networks connected to the router on the other end by use of a routing protocol like BGP or MPLS.

Here's a route to www.cnn.jo.op.

You can see from this that when I try to get a server in Japan (in this case CNN's web server), the packet will go out the rr.com domain (RoadRunner). RoadRunner uses Level3 as their ISP. So, once I get to the edge of RoadRunner's network, it is now Level3's responsibility to get my packet to Japan. Level3 then has a fiber connection running through the Pacific Ocean to a datacenter in Japan. Then the chain of ISPs goes the opposite way in Japan (large ISP > small ISP > customer).

There is no way you could establish connectivity to the Internet without using an ISP.

This post has been edited by Sansken: 13 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

#19 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 April 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Sonic runs of AT&T's lines though, right? In my case, my options are Sonic (though they refuse to tell me what kind of speed I'll get before I sign up, but I suspect it's not much because of what AT&T has), AT&T (only 1.5mbs DSL, even though U-verse is available a mile or two away), and Comcast (I hate those guys, but at least they have good speeds). Not exactly what I would consider competition...

In my area, Sonic provides DSL by leasing AT&T's copper. But they're using some special DSL technology which is faster than AT&T's. When I had AT&T's DSL, I was paying for 6MBPS and generally got 5.x. Sonic claims to give you 20MBPS, but the real number can be much lower. I'm getting about 12MBPS. I'm not complaining because it's twice as fast as it was with AT&T and at a much lower price.

However, as I understand it, Sonic's technology is more location-sensitive than AT&T's standard--which is why mine is so far below the advertised price. Were you are, I suspect, it would be much worse.

OTOH, in some area's Sonic is laying down it's own fiber. In those areas, the same $40 I'm paying gets 100MBPS.

Lincoln

#20 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Without divulging too much information on my location, I'll just say that I'm on the edge of a town in the SF area, and then it's a windy road into the next city over. (few people live along that actual road, though I think U-verse is available in that next city) AT&T claims I'm too far from the hub to get anything better.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 14 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users