PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Microsoft Security Essentials / Problems With Malware? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Microsoft Security Essentials / Problems With Malware?

#1 User is offline   RonMc4245 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

I may have some problems with malware, I currently am using Microsoft Security essentials and have been told it is somewhat weak in the area malware/virus detection. I am thinking of using a free ware program called (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which has excellent ratings) in conjunction with M.S.E. Will these two programs work together without conflicts between the two of them. May later choose to by the pro version which has advantages.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

That's exactly the combination I recommend. Malwarebytes is designed to not conflict with other programs, and the free version of it isn't realtime anyway. (the pro version isn't great at stopping threats, but it is good at removing them)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

View PostRonMc4245, on 12 May 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

I may have some problems with malware, I currently am using Microsoft Security essentials and have been told it is somewhat weak in the area malware/virus detection. I am thinking of using a free ware program called (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which has excellent ratings) in conjunction with M.S.E. Will these two programs work together without conflicts between the two of them. May later choose to by the pro version which has advantages.

Hi and welcome to the forums. To Clarify what Brian has said, by all means install Malwarebytes as an on demand scanner. The free version does not run actively and will not interfere with your actively running app such as MSE. It is very good as a back up ( redundant ) scanner to double check things. I have it installed in addition to MSE on here.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hi Ron :

IF you decide to
seriously consider the PRO version of Malwarebytes to use
at the same time you are using ANY version of MSE, then
you should follow the Instructions under Section "I-MSE"
found at http://forums.malwar...showtopic=10138 .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#5 User is offline   hgibbonsprt 

• Pip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello possibly you can try to get an anti-spyware/malware software, that you can install for free. There are several of them to choose from like Super AntiSpyware, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware, McAfee, etc.

This will provide a scan of potential spyware and malware.
Hope this helps.

#6 User is offline   ArunNayak 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

I think it is not good to install two antivirus on a same operating system..It might be create problem in the future..microsoft essential is a good antivirus software..just update that it might be work good..

#7 User is offline   Maddox 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

Same here. Our definitions updated 11:00am NZDST and bang! We have disabled malware inspection for now to bypass. We have had definition updates cause similar issues in FOPE, only to be resolved in a definition update shortly after....

#8 User is offline   johhny 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

Well..yes ! You can go with the combination. As Microsoft security Essentials is most used security program but as you sad it is somewhat weak in malware detection, So you have chosen a right combination.

#9 User is offline   rascal27 

• Pip

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

combination of MSE and IObit malware Pro is rocking...both software not slow down the pc...

#10 User is offline   TTGSteve 

• PipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Definitely pick up Malwarebytes and run it with MSE for optimum protection.

#11 User is offline   Stevey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 12 May 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

That's exactly the combination I recommend. Malwarebytes is designed to not conflict with other programs, and the free version of it isn't realtime anyway. (the pro version isn't great at stopping threats, but it is good at removing them)

You recommend this? Seriously...wow...gonna see...

This post has been edited by Stevey: 12 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

● Certified software analyst and programmer.
● Industrial hardware calibration and benchmarking professional.
● Franchisee framework administrator.

#12 User is offline   sumerian200 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

You are on the right track.. I was confident with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) till two days ago.. It is a "police" software that does other jobs than what it claims to do.
I experienced some PC problems and I ran MSE. It deleted some key generators programs even when their name was re-named, but it failed completely to recognize the major problem I had.. Then I ran an online virus /mal_ware free scanner [http://housecall.trendmicro.com} from Trend Micro. It found one Trojan and was able to delete it.. I continued to feel unstable PC performance, and hence I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware .. It was able to identify 4 Trojan viruses, but was unable to delete them. In fact once I wanted to do the cleaning action the application jammed. After several attempts I used the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to identify the location of the four Trojan viruses, and I manually deleted them.. Then my PC returned healthy.

I am very disappointed with Microsoft in general since they killed PS2 of IBM by their circus operating system and their false propaganda and their associated acrobat applications. But to delete programs that were NOT troubling my PC and are completely out of the claimed functionality of their MSE software, while keeping 5 dangerous Trojan viruses without even mentioning them and claiming "Your PC is free of viruses and healthy. Real Time protection on. Virus and spyware up to date" All that makes me suspect the functionality of MSE, and its real target. It is "police" software to protect only what it likes to. This is an impudent application that does other things than what it claims doing.

#13 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

MSE has exhibited that it doesn't play well with others. I noted interference with Malwarbytes and Avast. Once given control, things just go nuts and pop ups start opening multiple windows and web pages. Things have to work better with other programs or it becomes worthless.

#14 User is offline   davidwilsonc 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Have you discuss your problem with your virus removal service team. If no please discuss your problem with this team. They will help you to get rid of this problem.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users