• You cannot reply to this topic

Which Wireless Router For This Modem?

#1 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hey guys,

I'm switching to Time Warner Cable next month and I'll be getting their Turbo internet, which requires a router with DOCSIS 3.0 to get the best speed. I don't want to lease theirs, so I'll be buying one. I'm looking at Motorola SB6141. It's on their compatible modem list and seems like most people were able to get it working pretty darn well. However, I want to have a wireless network in my house, just as I do right now with Verizon DSL (leasing the wireless modem from them). I would get SBG6580, which is a wireless modem, but it has some pretty mixed reviews. What is a good wireless router to get the most out of ~15MB/2MB connection (Turbo tier). From reviews seems like a few people are using Linksys E4200 and E4200v2... but man oh man... they're very expensive. Any recommendations?

This post has been edited by bkboggy: 13 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

If your home network is working now, I don't see any reason to change anything except the modem as needed for cable. If your network is in need of an upgrade to get higher speeds through each node, then an upgrade would be a good step. I like to pair the modem mfgr and router/WIFI mfgr together. It has the best chance of a clean and quick plug and play install.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

DOCSIS applies to the modem, not the router. You can get a modem, and then connect it to a wireless router if you like.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

mjd420nova - The wireless modem I have right now is a lease from Verizon DSL and I'm tired of their slow speeds... I'm running at 800kbs-1mbs downstream, and with TWC I can get 15 times that for just a few more bucks. Even the fastest connection Verizon DSL offers doesn't compete with that. So, I need a new wireless modem or modem/wireless router setup, so that I don't have to lease it from TWC.

LiveBrianD - oh okay, so if I get a nice stable router, it should do just fine. So, does it matter what speed it is? 150MB, 300MB... something lower? My current Wireless Modem does 54Mbps, but not like it matters. We don't transfer anything from one computer to another... so the internet is still running at 800kbs-1mbs. There are multiple users on (at most 3, but most (almost 99%) of the time 2). If more than one user are even looking at the internet (nothing more) it takes forever for pages to load.

So what I need is a suggestion... do I get SBG6580, which is a wireless modem or do I get SB6141 and add a wireless router to it? If it's the second option, which router has an excellent reputation?

This post has been edited by bkboggy: 13 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

The speed doesn't matter too much, though I recommend getting one that's 802.11n. (that's 150mbps and up) From personal experience, I don't recommend modem/router combo units - I had one (a motorola cable modem, just like the first one you mentioned, possibly the same model) and had some issues (with comcast though, not sure about time warner). I recommend looking to see if TWC has a list of recommended compatible units and getting one of those. (for the modem) Something like this router looks good: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833127215 (I had a 802.11g dlink before and it worked well.)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

LiveBrianD - the two modems I've mentioned are recommended by TWC. They're the only ones that have DOCSIS 3.0 and are compatible with TWC as far as firmware is concerned. Unfortunately they don't have any recommendations on routers for the Wifi side of things. The D-Link you recommend looks pretty good, hopefully it works well with the wired Motorola modem. I try to stay away with things that have internal antennas... and that one has 3 external, pretty cool.

This post has been edited by bkboggy: 13 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Postbkboggy, on 13 May 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

LiveBrianD - the two modems I've mentioned are recommended by TWC. They're the only ones that have DOCSIS 3.0 and are compatible with TWC as far as firmware is concerned. Unfortunately they don't have any recommendations on routers for the Wifi side of things. The D-Link you recommend looks pretty good, hopefully it works well with the wired Motorola modem. I try to stay away with things that have internal antennas... and that one has 3 external, pretty cool.

If the modems you linked to are DOCSIS 3.0 and TWC "approves" them, then either should be fine. And both should have no problems with any router you get, barring something really strange.

My typical recommendation with wireless routers is to make sure you buy from somewhere with a good return/exchange policy. While most routers will work fine with most computers with WiFi, it is no unheard of to have WiFi compatibility issues. Thus, in case that happens, you want to make you can easily take it back and exchange it for a different router if there is a compatibility problem.

Since you said you really don't transfer files from one computer to another, then as you noted speed is note really an issue. Thus, you could still consider an 802.11g router if you were so inclined. I would likely say that an 802.11n router still might be the better option in case you do get into transferring files between computers in the future.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Also, 802.11n supposedly offers better range. I haven't actually tested this though.
Spoiler

#9 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

The only two reputable websites I'm aware of are NewEgg and Amazon... which has better return policy? I've never had to return anything to them and I've shopped with both, so I'm not sure.

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Newegg's customer service tends to be better from what I've heard, but I don't think it matters too much. I only had to return something once (to newegg), and I didn't have any problems.
Spoiler

#11 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

View Postbkboggy, on 30 May 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

The only two reputable websites I'm aware of are NewEgg and Amazon... which has better return policy? I've never had to return anything to them and I've shopped with both, so I'm not sure.

I am a long time customer of both: Newegg is excellent (especially for us geeks :D ) but nobody can beat Amazon's return policy. If the item isn't right for any reason other than "I changed my mind" they even pay return shipping.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#12 User is offline   bkboggy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

View Postcompnovo, on 30 May 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

I am a long time customer of both: Newegg is excellent (especially for us geeks :D ) but nobody can beat Amazon's return policy. If the item isn't right for any reason other than "I changed my mind" they even pay return shipping.

Thanks guys, what I'm going to do is lease TW's setup and in the meanwhile test out the stuff I buy. If the stuff I buy performs well, then I'll switch to it. That way I don't have to worry about any breaks in service.

#13 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

I don't know what you are really looking for here, as far as cost is concerned, but I have two recommendations. My recommendation are based on me actually OWNING these things.
For the modem, Cisco DPC3008. It is DOCIS 3, and FAST. I hit over 50Mb/sec on here regularly (even though I only pay for 35M!) - though Charter slows down the connections, I can tell you it will happily do the job. That modem is about $100, but well worth it.

For the router, I got tired of consumer grade junk needing to be replaced every year or so, and got a Netgear SRXN3205, and couldn't be happier. I have about a 450ft range with 20+ other access points in the immediate area, AND through multiple walls. It is expensive, but is also the ONLY brand of router shipping with a lifetime warranty.

This post has been edited by waldojim: 31 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#14 User is offline   danieloliverowenn 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

better buy from newEgg

#15 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postbkboggy, on 31 May 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

Thanks guys, what I'm going to do is lease TW's setup and in the meanwhile test out the stuff I buy. If the stuff I buy performs well, then I'll switch to it. That way I don't have to worry about any breaks in service.

I know what you mean about the DSL speeds, but I couldn't afford the cable anymore and ATT/DSL was the next best. Their modem was good for 4 years before it flaked out and failed. I had to buy my own as they said the one given to me at install was a freebie. Their tech(att) said I was lucky to get past one year with the lousy modem they gave away.It was a Motorola, usually the best you can buy but they must have made some cheap ones to give to AT&T.

#16 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 26 July 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postbkboggy, on 31 May 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

I know what you mean about the DSL speeds, but I couldn't afford the cable anymore and ATT/DSL was the next best. Their modem was good for 4 years before it flaked out and failed. I had to buy my own as they said the one given to me at install was a freebie. Their tech(att) said I was lucky to get past one year with the lousy modem they gave away.It was a Motorola, usually the best you can buy but they must have made some cheap ones to give to AT&T.

@mjd Hmm... I used the modem ATT gave me (a Speedstream) for at least 5 years, probably more, and never had any problems with it. I finally retired it when I upgraded to cable.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users