PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: I Can't Connect To Any Web Browsers, Internet Is Working - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Can't Connect To Any Web Browsers, Internet Is Working

#1 User is offline   gpbill14 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

I have a desktop and laptop connected to a wireless network. The laptop works fine, but I have been unable to connect to an websites, with the desktop. I have Windows Live Mail that does work, but not able to connect to any web browsers. The computer is running Windows 7 and IE is the default browser. I have tried Google Chrome and Firefox, but with no success.

I am stumped and would appreciate any assistance or help that anyone might be able to provide. There are no error messages. When I open a browser window (I have both IE9 and Rockmelt loaded) it looks like it is opening the homepage but it never finishes. On the bottom left of the screen is a dummy box that says "Waiting for www.msn.com to respond".

Both browsers worked fine until my son downloaded Realplayer to recover a video from my Facebook account. The download included Google Chrome which changed my default browser from IE9. I uninstalled Google Chrome and reset the default browser to IE9. That's when this issue started happening. I can sometimes (but not always) get onto a web page by using the link in History to connect. If I reboot the computer then sometimes (but not always) the browsers will work fine for 10 minutes before they start to hang. My e-mail downloads fine (Windows Live Mail) but I cannot use any links in e-mail that connect to any browser. The laptop and one other computer on my wireless network are both just fine as well. I've run virus scans with both my Stopzilla and my AdAware and they find nothing. I've looked at both the processes and services running and can't find anything unusual or unaccounted for.

I just tried uninstalling/reinstalling IE9 and Rockmelt. Rockmelt uninstalled with no issues and IE9 uninstalled with no issues but I am unable to reinstall IE9. (Error message on reboot: "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\System32\IEUINIT.EXE) I downloaded to installer to a flash drive and tried to run install that way and get error message: "Windows cannot find http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=200540"

I am at a complete loss at this point. No internet browsers loaded at all and unable to load IE9 back on.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Stopzilla is junk and should be uninstalled. Here's an idea - click start, type 'network connections', and click the first result. Right-click the network adapter you use, properties, Internet protocol version 4, and set it to automatically detect the IP address and DNS server. Also, click start, type 'notepad', right-click, run as admin. Open %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and look for any lines there. Lines that are preceded by # are comments, which are ignored by the OS and are fine. The only line that should be in there is '127.0.0.1 localhost' (it's not necessary to have anything there btw).

For reinstalling web browsers, try downloading Chrome or Firefox on another PC and putting it on a thumb drive, and then installing from there. Fyi, Chrome's installer downloads the needed files from the internet, so that might not work. Firefox's does not. You can also download the portableapps version, run that on the other PC, and install to the thumb drive. Once installed there, it won't need any internet access to download files for the program - except for browsing the internet of course. :D

Also, try disabling the realtime security software you have for the moment.

By the way, there's no need to put your entire post in bold.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 21 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   DataProtection 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

did you try other browsers like firefox and opera, chrome or others?

#4 User is offline   DarlaLopez 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

View Postgpbill14, on 21 May 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

I have a desktop and laptop connected to a wireless network. The laptop works fine, but I have been unable to connect to an websites, with the desktop. I have Windows Live Mail that does work, but not able to connect to any web browsers. The computer is running Windows 7 and IE is the default browser. I have tried Google Chrome and Firefox, but with no success.

I am stumped and would appreciate any assistance or help that anyone might be able to provide. There are no error messages. When I open a browser window (I have both IE9 and Rockmelt loaded) it looks like it is opening the homepage but it never finishes. On the bottom left of the screen is a dummy box that says "Waiting for www.msn.com to respond".

Both browsers worked fine until my son downloaded Realplayer to recover a video from my Facebook account. The download included Google Chrome which changed my default browser from IE9. I uninstalled Google Chrome and reset the default browser to IE9. That's when this issue started happening. I can sometimes (but not always) get onto a web page by using the link in History to connect. If I reboot the computer then sometimes (but not always) the browsers will work fine for 10 minutes before they start to hang. My e-mail downloads fine (Windows Live Mail) but I cannot use any links in e-mail that connect to any browser. The laptop and one other computer on my wireless network are both just fine as well. I've run virus scans with both my Stopzilla and my AdAware and they find nothing. I've looked at both the processes and services running and can't find anything unusual or unaccounted for.

I just tried uninstalling/reinstalling IE9 and Rockmelt. Rockmelt uninstalled with no issues and IE9 uninstalled with no issues but I am unable to reinstall IE9. (Error message on reboot: "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\System32\IEUINIT.EXE) I downloaded to installer to a flash drive and tried to run install that way and get error message: "Windows cannot find http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=200540"

I am at a complete loss at this point. No internet browsers loaded at all and unable to load IE9 back on.

Yes, you could try to temporarily disable or quit the Stopzilla antivirus software; or you load your computer in Safe Mode with Network - you may need to stop the Stopzilla process running with Windows as well; moreover, you can set the manual/disable option for its Service(s) listed.

And more you can reset your web browsers; run the "automatic fix" option for the Local Connection right clicking on the icon running in Taskbar and then running the Fix on that menu.

Good luck!

#5 User is offline   PCloverworld 

• PipPip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostDataProtection, on 29 May 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

did you try other browsers like firefox and opera, chrome or others?

Yes, you can try some other web broswer to see what will happen. Anyhow, I hope your problem can be solved as soon as possible.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users