PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Dell Laptop Immediately Shuts Down When I Unplug Power Cord.... - PCWorld Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dell Laptop Immediately Shuts Down When I Unplug Power Cord....

#1 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

It was working fine last night with or without the power cord plugged in. This morning I unplug the power cord and my laptop immediately shuts off. My battery is only a few months old. I have no idea what's going on here...please help. TY

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Is the battery securely in place? Does Windows detect it?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I took out the battery and put it back in and all seems well there. Where do I look to see if my laptop is recognizing my battery?

#4 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I looked in "device manager" and it's saying that the battery is working correctly. I would think that even if the battery was dying, I would still have some battery life when I unplug the power cord. It seems really weird that as soon as I unplug it, my laptop shuts down and shuts down like now!!!!

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Click on the battery icon in the taskbar.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Well, can you say duh!! It says "100% and charging" so all seems well there....

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

After reading this http://en.kioskea.ne...cord-is-removed, I'm wondering - what happens if you use a different power plan?
Spoiler

#8 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well I read that piece and tried a few things, like changing power plans, and no luck. Maybe I'm not getting to where I need to be but so far I can't get this issue to stop....TY for all the help to this point...

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Does it start if you try to turn it on while unplugged? It's possible that you're battery's simply dead.
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

No it does not. I tried that right away and nothing....

#11 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Shoot, I've tried everything I know to try and nothing. It's saying the ac adapter/cord is working properly and so is the battery. I can't think of what else to check....

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

View Postwalleyeshark, on 11 June 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

It was working fine last night with or without the power cord plugged in. This morning I unplug the power cord and my laptop immediately shuts off. My battery is only a few months old. I have no idea what's going on here...please help. TY

Did you unplug the the Power Cord AFTER the computer was up and running?
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#13 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yep, that's when the issue first occurred. I then tried to plug/unplug everything in every different way...still shuts down immediately. I doubt this matters but when you unplug the power cord from the wall, my laptop does the same thing, shuts down immediately!! Boy this seems awfully goofy to me....

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the battery?
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

No, I guess I haven't. I've taken the battery out a few times just to see what I could see, or not. It sure seems good and it's "installed" good and tight. I'll try to clean them and see what happens...

#16 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Well, no luck with the battery contacts....there has to be something I'm/we're missing here, doesn't there??????

#17 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I guess the battery's defective then. Seeing as it's only a few months old, it's under warranty, right?
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Well now, that's a good question! I bought it online from Amazon, I think!??! Maybe that explains it but something doesn't seem right as it was working great the night before and BAM the battery doesn't have any power at all? In my mind, even if the battery was dying, or even dead, my laptop wouldn't shutdown so fast after unplugging the power cord. I have no problem buying a new battery but I would like to make sure that's the answer. TY for all the help and do y'all think I need to purchase a new battery???

#19 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

If it happens even when Windows hasn't yet booted, it has to be a hardware issue.
Spoiler

#20 User is offline   walleyeshark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Well, even with my limited knowledge, I'm starting to agree with "it's gotta be the battery" theory! If someone can come up with anything else I can try, great, otherwise I think I'm ordering a new battery tomorrow....

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users