• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ssd And Hdd

#41 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

And it wasn't the CMOS battery or anything?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#42 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 August 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

And it wasn't the CMOS battery or anything?

No, this is something that has been getting progressively worse over the last year. As long as it stays running it is happy. When you shut it off, you have to practically tear the whole thing apart and reassemble it to get it restarted again. It was something I was dealing with for the time being, as it was hit-or-miss. Lately though, it has gotten to be far too unreliable.

As it stands, it gave me a great reason to go out, purchase a backup drive, and cannibalize the gaming machine. The gaming rig is no more. That EVGA P55 is now in the media center, as is the i5 750. They are both MUCH nicer to have here as well. This was a positive move forward. Made better only through Windows 8.

I don't like the Intel Raid controller nearly as much, as it is pathetically slow setting up the array. It took about 8 hours before the array was actually usable (it had to initialize - and wouldn't actively do it - only passive). Once the array was up though, it was perfectly content rolling right along. The only thing I don't know yet, is weather the array will hold together if I move motherboards or not... I do have a backup board though (the MSI), just in case something happens. As it can recode multiple HD streams simultaneously, I have no concerns there.

I also have an Nvidia 550Ti and the 5770 in here. The 5770 will be used to watch TV on the flat panel, while the 550Ti will be used for both gaming, and video re-compression. This is win-win as far as I am concerned.

In any event, I will get back to a few performance numbers later on - in a new thread... I have made many changes around my home lately, and will likely consolidate into a single blurb elsewhere.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#43 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

How do you have the 2 GPUs set up for that?

Also, I suppose this gives you an excuse for the 2011 machine you were talking about, right? :D
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#44 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 17 August 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

How do you have the 2 GPUs set up for that?

Also, I suppose this gives you an excuse for the 2011 machine you were talking about, right? :D

It "just works".

Maybe, but doubtful. I won't have a "gaming" machine for a year or two it seems.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users