Here is the ?, if this bill passes is there any recourse I can take to at least keep most of my information private? This old news article from Business Insider contains what kind of Privacy rights we internet users in the US will lose if these Cyber Security bills pass.
Online banking and trading: dead as we know it. Who is going to use online banking services, knowing that anyone from a local police department snoop, to a federal spy agency, to even random private companies might be watching your every trade, and your purchase history, without a warrant or court involvement of ANY kind.
- The ‘adult entertainment’ industry: dead as we know it. Big Brother is watching you. If CISPA becomes law, which it appears on the fast-track to do, who will watch knowing that others are watching you.
- Online health databases and discussion forums such as WebMD: dead as we know it. Who will ask intimate health questions, knowing that your identity is not even semi-anonymous any more?
- Online suicide helplines, depression forums, political discussion communities: dead as we know it. Same reason as above.
- Legitimate criticism of the government: dead as we know it, especially if you are a “job seeker” who doesn’t want any blemishes on your record to get in the way of surviving.
- Online communities like Reddit: dead as we know it. So much for the semi-anonymous, crowd-sourced hive-mind brilliance of multi-million user social communities.
- Facebook: dead as we know it (although they don’t seem to care). Who will use the service, knowing that countless other companies could be watching and logging every profile and photo you view, every message you send or receive, and every connection you’ve ever made
Here is my question in a nut shell WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE IT HARD FOR GOVERNMENT TO INVADE MY PRIVACY AND STOP THEM AND MY ISP FROM SNOOPING INTO MY E-MAILS AND MY ONLINE ACTIVITIES?
I often have heard of VPN or Virtual Private Networks, would this be a good way to keep the Government from snooping into my private business if these cyber security bills pass. What can I do about this? As you can see CISPA would virtually take away all my privacy rights online. Once the Senate passes S.3414 The Cyber Security Act of 2012 all are privacy rights online and what we view are gone and I even heard these Cyber Security bills make records which include credit card numbers from online purchases and even passwords for online banking and sell your information to third parties. Under these Cyber Security bills if your ISP or third party lose that information YOU CANNOT SUE YOUR ISP OR THIRD PARTY.
I don't think that many people know about this. Again my ? is and it looks like it will pass the Senate S3414, WHAT IS THE BEST SOFTWARE OR WHATEVER I CAN DO TO KEEP MY ISP AND OTHERS FROM SNOOPING INTO MY COMPUTER ACTIVITIES?
Thanks for your help, if these cyber security bills pass, as to how I am reading them PRIVACY ONLINE WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO TAKE PLACE ONLINE. So what can we do to make it hard for ISP's to get information about are online activities?
This post has been edited by yui44: 29 July 2012 - 09:34 PM