PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1: What You Need To Know Before Buying - PCWorld Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1: What You Need To Know Before Buying

#21 User is offline   artzy65 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

View PostSangJang, on 16 August 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostTechConc, on 16 August 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostQUADICON, on 16 August 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

View PostCharlieGallie, on 16 August 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

You need new headline writers! The line "What You Need to Know Before Buying" implies that there is some NEWS in this article. The line "But before you run down to your local Best Buy" again implies some news. There is nothing new in this article.

Problem 1 - It's a Samsung product
Problem 2 - It runs Android
Problem 3 - The articles writers are Apple fanbois.

If this was an ipad, they sensationalize the obvious, when its Android/Samsung, they simply look to attack.
Even tho thereare bad things about the iPad, Ihave yet to see any one point them out. Like how the iPad sucks when using a stylus and tht even though tablets were meant to be written on originally, Apple stance against using a stylus is wrong.

The latest iPad is heavy, likely because of the battery which is 60% bigger than the one in the iPad 2. Its also slightly thick than the iPad 2 as well. They didnt really upgrade anything other than dropping a quad GPU, slightly increasing the RAM and doubling the resolution which sucks the battery even at 50% brightness. It's heavy, get quite hot which in my case just using the browser to watch movies makes it impossible to hold without a case. Ithink the case makes it get hotter. Lastly the iPad is simply boring.

Right, because obviously, if the iPad does better in a review (which is essentially every review outside of Android fanclub magazine) it's because every writer, everywhere is just an Apple fanboy. :) Right?

As for this article, it's kind of funny how it misses the most important category to compare... software. Take your top 10 favorite apps and compare the Android version to the iPad version. You'll find that in most cases, the Android version is generic and usually written for the phone. The tablet version has lots of white space and looks like crap compared to the iOS version. In terms of basic usability, the iPad feels much more responsive, despite the beefier hardware on the Samsung tablet. The iPad has a much better display and still gets better battery life, etc. But, you're probably right, you'd probably have to be an Apple fanboy if you don't prefer the Samsung tablet... :) (yes Quad, that was sarcasm)

You said "tablet version" but before that you said "usually made for the phone" it's true that some apps that are developed for the ipad haven't been developed for android tablets but how many apps do you really think are like that these days? Most developers are smart enough to know that Android has a bigger marketshare worldwide than Apple and make an HD version for tablets as they make one for phones (both iOS and Android based). He isn't wrong when he says that anyone who prefers ipads over all other things are apple fanboys. they're blinded by Apple's flashiness and get caught up in Apple's marketing schemes of "all other products other than ours are crappy". That's not true. I use an iphone for my phone and have a Samsung computer. I used to own an ipad 2 AND a galaxy tab 10.1 and both were pretty crappy but if i had to choose between the two I would prefer to use the Samsung because the widgets made more sense to me in regards to functionality for a tablet. Both apple products and android based products will always one-up each other everytime a new thing comes out but to strictly advocate Apple (or just Samsung) is naive and immature. You're living in the 21st century where technology grows exponentially fast so if you really think the phone you JUST bought (SGS3 for example) is the "sh*t" it might be for the time being but wait a few months and it'll be old news.

Calling everyone who chooses Apple products because of clever advertising and slick design is simply immature and silly. Personally I buy Apple products, and can see no reason to switch to other devices, since my iPad and iTouch are suitable for what I use them for (media consumption) and regarding computers, I simply prefer OS X over Windows.

This post has been edited by artzy65: 17 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

#22 User is offline   HankRearden 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I bought the Galaxy Note 10.1 yesterday. They only had the 16GB model so that's what I got. I also watched The Verge video and it gave me a lot of pause. Like always I don't see the harm in buying it anyway and deciding for myself. I'm very glad I did. I tried the multitask / multi-screen functions in every way you can and I had no troubles at all. It ran full speed. I was able to play video on the left and draw on the right. I did the same with a web site, scrolling the page up and down while video played. No issues at all.

Multitasking on the Note 10.1 is pretty good, but it is limited to a few apps, like the built in browser, video player, S Note, Gallery, Polaris Office and email, though not the GMail email app. It's not desktop quality but it does work pretty well. Very impressed with it.

The tablet looks so much better in person than in pictures. I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the gray one is, which is what I bought.

The S Pen is so nice. So great to have a real pen again. I hand wrote entire pages right off. Your hand can rest on the screen while you use the pen and it knows the difference. Now I feel like I have a real reason to learn PS Touch. A special Galaxy Note version comes with the Note too. I also bought Adobe Ideas. Don't really know how to use either for now, but will learn over the weekend.

Polaris Office is getting pretty nice. I wrote a page with the the Word app. Not as nice as Pages on the iPad, but pretty darn good actually. There is a very nice menu for choosing fonts, styles, sizes, etc.

Samsung finally made a good software keyboard. I installed Swiftkey 3, which is my normal choice for Android keyboards, but decided to go back to the stock Samsung keyboard instead. For those of you using Swiftkey 3, you should be impressed by that alone.

The Quad Core processor is simply unstoppable. The S Pen is perfect. If you want a stylus this is the tablet to get. I wouldn't let the reviewers worry you. My experience is very good and I'm pretty critical on tablets. I showed everything off to a friend and got his take as well. Asked him if I was wrong in any way. Did he feel it was sluggish at all? Said no, and he even went to BestBuy today to maybe buy one for himself. This is a good tablet. I'd say it's the best tab I've used so far, including my iPad 3. I like this one better.

If you have a specific question feel free to ask. I have 17 games on this. QuickOffice, Polaris Office, DroidEdit, Adobe's Acrobat, PDF Creator, PS Touch, Adobe Ideas, SketchBook Pro, Microsoft's OneNote, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and so on. Google's newest maps are so beautiful on this.

Pocket, Currents, Books and Magazines are all very good. The calendar, contacts, Gmail, Google + and TweetCaster are all very well on this. Seriously this is a pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. I can't find a single thing to complain about so far.
Microsoft Surface Pro
Amazon Kindle Fire HD | Nokia Lumia 920

#23 User is offline   HankRearden 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Been using PS Touch for about 2 hours. Went through a couple lessons, then started to just create from scratch. It will take time to get used to it but so far PS Touch really is Photoshop for tablets. It is incredible. I highly encourage everyone to take a couple of the built in free lessons it comes with and see what it can really do. Tie that into a really accurate stylus and if you're not impressed I'd be surprised.

PS Touch and the Galaxy Note 10.1 are blowing my mind. Going to look for YouTube videos. Bet those will come shortly if they are not already there. Seems to me these two products were meant for each other. This absolutely kills the iPad for me. No contest at all.
Microsoft Surface Pro

#24 User is offline   Extremist 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostHankRearden, on 17 August 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

I bought the Galaxy Note 10.1 yesterday. They only had the 16GB model so that's what I got. I also watched The Verge video and it gave me a lot of pause. Like always I don't see the harm in buying it anyway and deciding for myself. I'm very glad I did. I tried the multitask / multi-screen functions in every way you can and I had no troubles at all. It ran full speed. I was able to play video on the left and draw on the right. I did the same with a web site, scrolling the page up and down while video played. No issues at all.

Multitasking on the Note 10.1 is pretty good, but it is limited to a few apps, like the built in browser, video player, S Note, Gallery, Polaris Office and email, though not the GMail email app. It's not desktop quality but it does work pretty well. Very impressed with it.

The tablet looks so much better in person than in pictures. I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the gray one is, which is what I bought.

The S Pen is so nice. So great to have a real pen again. I hand wrote entire pages right off. Your hand can rest on the screen while you use the pen and it knows the difference. Now I feel like I have a real reason to learn PS Touch. A special Galaxy Note version comes with the Note too. I also bought Adobe Ideas. Don't really know how to use either for now, but will learn over the weekend.

Polaris Office is getting pretty nice. I wrote a page with the the Word app. Not as nice as Pages on the iPad, but pretty darn good actually. There is a very nice menu for choosing fonts, styles, sizes, etc.

Samsung finally made a good software keyboard. I installed Swiftkey 3, which is my normal choice for Android keyboards, but decided to go back to the stock Samsung keyboard instead. For those of you using Swiftkey 3, you should be impressed by that alone.

The Quad Core processor is simply unstoppable. The S Pen is perfect. If you want a stylus this is the tablet to get. I wouldn't let the reviewers worry you. My experience is very good and I'm pretty critical on tablets. I showed everything off to a friend and got his take as well. Asked him if I was wrong in any way. Did he feel it was sluggish at all? Said no, and he even went to BestBuy today to maybe buy one for himself. This is a good tablet. I'd say it's the best tab I've used so far, including my iPad 3. I like this one better.

If you have a specific question feel free to ask. I have 17 games on this. QuickOffice, Polaris Office, DroidEdit, Adobe's Acrobat, PDF Creator, PS Touch, Adobe Ideas, SketchBook Pro, Microsoft's OneNote, Netflix, Hulu Plus, and so on. Google's newest maps are so beautiful on this.

Pocket, Currents, Books and Magazines are all very good. The calendar, contacts, Gmail, Google + and TweetCaster are all very well on this. Seriously this is a pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. I can't find a single thing to complain about so far.

Better than the Nexus 7?

#25 User is offline   Extremist 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

This post has been edited by Extremist: 18 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

#26 User is offline   HankRearden 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

View PostExtremist, on 18 August 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Better than the Nexus 7?

Different. And I like it for different reasons. Mostly because of the stylus, PS Touch and S Note. But I wouldn't want to read a book in bed with the 10.1". Too big for that. A 7" is a great reading device. But I wouldn't want to try to draw with it.
Microsoft Surface Pro

#27 User is offline   Extremist 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostHankRearden, on 18 August 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostExtremist, on 18 August 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Better than the Nexus 7?

Different. And I like it for different reasons. Mostly because of the stylus, PS Touch and S Note. But I wouldn't want to read a book in bed with the 10.1". Too big for that. A 7" is a great reading device. But I wouldn't want to try to draw with it.

I just saw a couple videos about the Galaxy Note 10.1 on YouTube. I think this is the first true productivity tablet, with features like hand-written text to type conversion, real multitasking, the useful pre-loaded software such as Polaris Office, AllShare Play GroupCast and Photoshop Touch, and of course the stylus which makes many of these features possible. I'm not sure if it will be the biggest seller, but it certainly has its niche.

#28 User is offline   HankRearden 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I don't know how much traction Android will have in the tablet space against the iPad. There is a lot of mind share on Apple's part. I think what Samsung did here is a step in the right direction. I see this particular tablet as a very good value. At 16GB you get a very good stylus with 1,000 levels of pressure sensitivity that is accurate. It is a Wacom system and it works very well. For $30 you can easily add a Samsung 32GB case 10 MicroSD card. I just copied over my movies and office files files to the card and am instantly ready to go.

Handwriting with multitasking really takes this tablet a full generation above all others. I find myself wanting Google to add handwriting support in Gmail now. I'd like to be able to hand write a note, plus add images like S Note as the body of an email and send it off.

I didn't expect to like the stylus so much but now that I have a good one I'm really hoping to see even more integration. Maybe Jobs was too quick to dismiss the stylus. I find it so much better than not having it. Mostly because I think we as a people like to write, draw, assemble and share and a stylus is great for that. I still want to type as well. I want both. Going to send Google a feedback.
Microsoft Surface Pro

#29 User is offline   TechConc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

View PostHankRearden, on 19 August 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

I don't know how much traction Android will have in the tablet space against the iPad. There is a lot of mind share on Apple's part. I think what Samsung did here is a step in the right direction. I see this particular tablet as a very good value. At 16GB you get a very good stylus with 1,000 levels of pressure sensitivity that is accurate. It is a Wacom system and it works very well. For $30 you can easily add a Samsung 32GB case 10 MicroSD card. I just copied over my movies and office files files to the card and am instantly ready to go.

Handwriting with multitasking really takes this tablet a full generation above all others. I find myself wanting Google to add handwriting support in Gmail now. I'd like to be able to hand write a note, plus add images like S Note as the body of an email and send it off.

I didn't expect to like the stylus so much but now that I have a good one I'm really hoping to see even more integration. Maybe Jobs was too quick to dismiss the stylus. I find it so much better than not having it. Mostly because I think we as a people like to write, draw, assemble and share and a stylus is great for that. I still want to type as well. I want both. Going to send Google a feedback.

It makes sense that Samsung is going a different direction with the stylus. It doesn't really compare well to the iPad for most tasks. This isn't simply a matter of "mind share" either. Samsung clearly has plenty of mind share in the mobile space. Generally speaking, the Android market just isn't as robust as the iOS market for tablets. Running an app that's designed for a phone on a 10" displays just looks terrible. The Android market has tried to go a different direction in the past such as making Flash the big distinction. Until, rather predictably, Flash flopped. Regarding the stylus, yes, Samsung is making a push here. Though, I think you misunderstand the point Jobs was making. It's not that a stylus is a bad thing. There are clearly very specific apps (such as drawing) that would benefit from a stylus. However, if your device is designed to need the stylus, that's where the "fail" comes in. I tend to agree with that. Overall, touch is both more intuitive and engaging. I don't agree that there is any future with regard to writing with a stylus. It will never be faster than typing or even voice dictation. Apple has done this before going as far back as the Newton and even has that technology (Inkwell) built into OS X. Maybe, you can help describe a scenario, but I don't see a future for writing with a stylus on tablets that isn't better served via typing or voice dictation. Drawing? Yes. Writing? No.

#30 User is offline   WhosYourSeanie 

• PipPip

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Even if it was the best tablet ever created I wouldn't buy it for the simple reason that it's a Samsung.

I've had to contact Samsung for help unlocking my Samsung Galaxy and they were terrible. I didn't get any help from them or Tmobile. I've got a number of Samsung products at home, but because of the experience I had with their customer service and tech support I will do everything I possibly can to not ever buy a Samsung product again. If it says Samsung on it I'll move on to the next product. I don't care how good a company's products are, if they aren't going to stand by their customers they don't deserve customers.

#31 User is offline   Miles 

• PipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostWhosYourSeanie, on 21 August 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Even if it was the best tablet ever created I wouldn't buy it for the simple reason that it's a Samsung.

I've had to contact Samsung for help unlocking my Samsung Galaxy and they were terrible. I didn't get any help from them or Tmobile. I've got a number of Samsung products at home, but because of the experience I had with their customer service and tech support I will do everything I possibly can to not ever buy a Samsung product again. If it says Samsung on it I'll move on to the next product. I don't care how good a company's products are, if they aren't going to stand by their customers they don't deserve customers.

Living in Chiang Mai, Thailand, I bought a Samsung Note in March. Went to Samsung Care office several times and now call them Samsung CareLess. An example: couldn't get on the internet for 2 weeks trying 2 different ISP's. Saw a counter lady at Samsung who sent me to another window to a tech who advised that I had the wrong phone, that there are 2 models. Mine was for 2 other ISP's not the one I have. Walked a kilometer to my ISP and in less than a minute was shown the setting to change and the internet has been fine ever since using the built in browser or Firefox. Samsung products have joined my "do not buy list."

#32 User is offline   JorjXMcKie 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Been using PS Touch for about 2 hours. Went through a couple lessons, then started to just create from scratch. It will take time to get used to it but so far PS Touch really is Photoshop for tablets. It is incredible.

I sold my iPad 3 (with Adonit Jot Touch Bluetooth stylus) this week and now have a Note 10.1 gray with an extra 32GB. PS Touch is the one artsy app I haven't messed with much because it doesn't seem to respond to pressure sensitivity. Other than that, it looks really useful for tweaking images. For art, Sketchbook Pro is hard to beat. Stylus is PERFECT! I recommend Layer Paint for an inexpensive but very cool app that can only get better. And as dissed as Adobe Ideas is (horrible reviews at Google Play), it is tremendously responsive to the S Pen, and is hard to beat for quick sketching, and don't forget the output is vector... very helpful if printing large. The external materials of the iPad do seem of better quality, but the Samsung *internals* kick its ass up and down the street--I am completely objective about this because I had both tablets this past week! I often found little roadblocks with the iPad... its unwillingness to 'share', forms with grayed-out data boxes, and so on. Things that seemed to have been put in place intentionally to prevent computer sales cannibalizing. Android has its own baggage, but I found it less restricting. Totally pumped about this Note tablet... the S Pen is amazing and addictive.

#33 User is offline   HankRearden 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostJorjXMcKie, on 22 September 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Been using PS Touch for about 2 hours. Went through a couple lessons, then started to just create from scratch. It will take time to get used to it but so far PS Touch really is Photoshop for tablets. It is incredible.

I sold my iPad 3 (with Adonit Jot Touch Bluetooth stylus) this week and now have a Note 10.1 gray with an extra 32GB. PS Touch is the one artsy app I haven't messed with much because it doesn't seem to respond to pressure sensitivity. Other than that, it looks really useful for tweaking images. For art, Sketchbook Pro is hard to beat. Stylus is PERFECT! I recommend Layer Paint for an inexpensive but very cool app that can only get better. And as dissed as Adobe Ideas is (horrible reviews at Google Play), it is tremendously responsive to the S Pen, and is hard to beat for quick sketching, and don't forget the output is vector... very helpful if printing large. The external materials of the iPad do seem of better quality, but the Samsung *internals* kick its ass up and down the street--I am completely objective about this because I had both tablets this past week! I often found little roadblocks with the iPad... its unwillingness to 'share', forms with grayed-out data boxes, and so on. Things that seemed to have been put in place intentionally to prevent computer sales cannibalizing. Android has its own baggage, but I found it less restricting. Totally pumped about this Note tablet... the S Pen is amazing and addictive.

Congrats. And I feel the same way. I still own the ipad 3 in addition to the note 10.1. And yeah, iOS feels restrictive. The lack of a file system just complicates everything. Something Android has no trouble with. Try Papyrus from Google Play. Great note taking app for the s-pen. It's just beta .2 version at this point but very promising.
Microsoft Surface Pro

#34 User is offline   MikeMinor3tbd 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I am pretty sure that the case flexing is due to the thinness of the plastic at this points on the case. Seems like a design trade off to shave weight off of the device. Just ho m ch of a issue is this for most buyers? If most are like me, I buy case stands for my tablets which generally cover and protect the back of the tablet. This generally provides added stiffness (and some weight) to the tablet when being held.

I do the same with my phones so plastic backs don't phase me at all and my mobile devices are in pristine shape when I sell them.

#35 User is offline   emlferguson 

• Pip

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hey, i was thinking of buying the Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1 and I don't really know anything about it, or how practical and appropriate it would be for me. Also, there aren't many reviews or anything that i've seen so far for the kind of answers i'm looking for.
You seem to know lots how it works and what it's capable of, so i was wondering if you could answer a few of my questions?

Like are you able to use a usb or similar device to copy files from the Galaxy Tab onto another computer?
What kind of file types for the Galaxy Tab are compatible with both a Mac and a PC?
Is there any kind of a word app for writing documents that can be used that's also compatible with other computers?
Is there an option to use the stylus or not?

I've read your review and they're all the questions i can think of right now that you haven't already answered. If you can, please just let me know what you think so i can continue on with my search.
Thank You!

#36 User is offline   jimmydacey 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Hey, i was thinking of buying the Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1 and I don't really know anything about it, or how practical and appropriate it would be for me. Also, there aren't many reviews or anything that i've seen so far for the kind of answers i'm looking for. You seem to know lots how it works and what it's capable of, so i was wondering if you could answer a few of my questions? Like are you able to use a usb or similar device to copy files from the Galaxy Tab onto another computer? What kind of file types for the Galaxy Tab are compatible with both a Mac and a PC? Is there any kind of a word app for writing documents that can be used that's also compatible with other computers? Is there an option to use the stylus or not? I've read your review and they're all the questions i can think of right now that you haven't already answered. If you can, please just let me know what you think so i can continue on with my search. Thank You!

#37 User is offline   jimmydacey 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Bought one yesterday, my only concern is I cannot download adobe flash and therefore connot play half the videos on the net, or listen to most radio stations

#38 User is offline   TechConc 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

View Postjimmydacey, on 04 November 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

Bought one yesterday, my only concern is I cannot download adobe flash and therefore connot play half the videos on the net, or listen to most radio stations

Flash is dead on mobile. Period. This is not a limitation of the device, rather it's a limitation of your source of media for not providing content using open standards. The internet is moving on and away from Flash. There are many places to find equivalent media without using Flash.

#39 User is offline   Ichabod08 

• Pip

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

We are in the market for new phones and is looking closely to one that best suits our need. How come Iphone 5 can play atp tennis videos and samsung note 2 cannot? Is there a way of making the samsung note play my atp tennis video. Is there a way to make samsung play html websites.

Please advice.

#40 User is offline   holderdenisej 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for about a week now & I love it. To download Adobe Flash go to CNET.com & they can connect you with a program that will translate to Adobe Flash for this tablet. It's really quite simple. For those you who need a manual you can download that as well from an ectronic website. It's in a PDF format. You'll find the answers to all of your problems there. The S-pen is fantastic & very responsive. Amazon, Google Play & Barnes & Noble are all supported by the Galaxy Note 10.1 Model N8013. Jellybean 4.1 is now available & will download via automatic update. That's the story!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users