PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Tablet Vs Ultrabook Vs Netbook Vs Notebook/laptop - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tablet Vs Ultrabook Vs Netbook Vs Notebook/laptop Charted comparison of features help readers and sales

Poll: Which type of computing HARDWARE style do you prefer? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

I prefer to compute on (pick one)

1. phone-like device (i.e., Android, ipad, etc). (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tablet, but not more than 7" (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Tablet, but more than 7" (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Ultrabook (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Netbook, but under 10" (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Netbook, but over 10" (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Notebook/Laptop, but under 16" (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Notebook/Laptop, but 16" or bigger (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

9. Desktop (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

We the bewildered users eager to improve our computing lot, are in something of a quandry when it comes to the pro's and cons of computer types. We kinda know that a tablet imposes limitations on keying; that the smaller it is, the harder it is to surf. We also don't want to lug around too much stuff, but then again, how often do we really travel? What do we need to carry, with these things?

So a chart of columns which help us decide what we should seek to buy, would be helpful. Now with Win8 entering the game, it becomes immediately relevant.. and holidays are just around the corner.

So, here's a basic idea of the chart, based on the Poll above, but truncated to fit this post. Sorry about the formatting, I can't get this to display as a table, it won't translate HTML.

........... FEATURE........................................PHONE...TABLET....NETBOOK..Notebook/Laptop
Carrying ease:1=lowest, 5=highest............... 5 ............. 4.................3 ..................2/1
Peripherals you can easily use ......................2 ...............2 ................3 ................... 5
(CDs, flashdrives, etc.)
Keyboarding ease........................................... 1............... 2.................4.................... 5
Speed............................................................... 2 .............. 3 ................4 .....................5
Connectivity options......................................... 1 ............. 2 ...............4 ..................... 5
File Storage...................................................... 1 ............. 2.............. 3/4 ....................5
Breakability ..................................................... 5 .............. 4 .............. 3 ...................2/1
Battery life ....................................................... 5 ...............4 ............... 3 ...................2/1
International travel ease .............................. 1/2 ............1/2 ........... 3/4 ..................4/5

You get the idea. Again, I'm just trying to illustrate the point of the chart, not saying my answers are right. For example, it's my understanding that if you travel overseas, you can't use your own phone, but maybe you can switch out your SIMS card. So for people traveling overseas, frequent phone usage isn't the best option.

The article can elaborate or have footnotes to explain the answers it gives. The answers don't have to be ratings as I show here. I also didn't include the Ultrabook or Desktop, so those would be added columns.

Finally, I can still edit the poll questions and wording, so if you've suggestions, holler. :)

This post has been edited by brainout: 20 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

#2 User is offline   aaparsan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

View Postbrainout, on 20 August 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

We the bewildered users eager to improve our computing lot, are in something of a quandry when it comes to the pro's and cons of computer types. We kinda know that a tablet imposes limitations on keying; that the smaller it is, the harder it is to surf. We also don't want to lug around too much stuff, but then again, how often do we really travel? What do we need to carry, with these things?

So a chart of columns which help us decide what we should seek to buy, would be helpful. Now with Win8 entering the game, it becomes immediately relevant.. and holidays are just around the corner.

So, here's a basic idea of the chart, based on the Poll above, but truncated to fit this post. Sorry about the formatting, I can't get this to display as a table, it won't translate HTML.

........... FEATURE........................................PHONE...TABLET....NETBOOK..Notebook/Laptop
Carrying ease:1=lowest, 5=highest............... 5 ............. 4.................3 ..................2/1
Peripherals you can easily use ......................2 ...............2 ................3 ................... 5
(CDs, flashdrives, etc.)
Keyboarding ease........................................... 1............... 2.................4.................... 5
Speed............................................................... 2 .............. 3 ................4 .....................5
Connectivity options......................................... 1 ............. 2 ...............4 ..................... 5
File Storage...................................................... 1 ............. 2.............. 3/4 ....................5
Breakability ..................................................... 5 .............. 4 .............. 3 ...................2/1
Battery life ....................................................... 5 ...............4 ............... 3 ...................2/1
International travel ease .............................. 1/2 ............1/2 ........... 3/4 ..................4/5

You get the idea. Again, I'm just trying to illustrate the point of the chart, not saying my answers are right. For example, it's my understanding that if you travel overseas, you can't use your own phone, but maybe you can switch out your SIMS card. So for people traveling overseas, frequent phone usage isn't the best option.

The article can elaborate or have footnotes to explain the answers it gives. The answers don't have to be ratings as I show here. I also didn't include the Ultrabook or Desktop, so those would be added columns.

Finally, I can still edit the poll questions and wording, so if you've suggestions, holler. :)

I use both an iPod Touch for entertainment,games and productivity.I use a PC for those things to but I use the PC also for programming and other things like that
Alexander Aditya Parsan

I have just got a new PC!!!!!!!!!I have been waiting years!

Think Different

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

I would suggest that you modify the poll slightly to ask "Which type of computing HARDWARE style do you prefer...if you could only have one piece of computing hardware?"

Otherwise, I find it rather tough to answer. This is because I find different devices work better in different situations.

For example, I find it much easier to do a quick check of email with my smartphone than my tablet, 11" laptop, 17" laptop or desktop...but then it is generally easier to use a laptop or desktop to respond to most email messages unless it is a relatively short response, in which case a tablet will work just as well and even a smartphone can work.

Another example is doing a quick look of something on the web while I am down watching TV. I generally find my tablet or sometimes my smartphone is best for this...generally less hassle (except for zooming the small screen of the laptop). For more "intensive" browsing, a laptop or desktop is better.

Reading something like a PDF or eBook, definitely the tablet.

Doing "real work" like word processing or spreadsheets, then it will be at least my 11" laptop, but sometimes it is best with my 17" laptop (which is basically setup as a desktop) or my actual desktop.

If I had to choose just one, then it would likely be the 17" laptop, but might be the 11" laptop. Either can do most of what I want/need with the 17" being slight better all around (but the it is much more of pain to lug around for "portable" use).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

I use my desktop for most things (due to the ergonomics and large screen), my laptop when I go places (and occasionally around the house), and my phone for looking things up quickly.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

View Postsmax013, on 25 August 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

I would suggest that you modify the poll slightly to ask "Which type of computing HARDWARE style do you prefer...if you could only have one piece of computing hardware?"

Otherwise, I find it rather tough to answer. This is because I find different devices work better in different situations.

For example, I find it much easier to do a quick check of email with my smartphone than my tablet, 11" laptop, 17" laptop or desktop...but then it is generally easier to use a laptop or desktop to respond to most email messages unless it is a relatively short response, in which case a tablet will work just as well and even a smartphone can work.

Another example is doing a quick look of something on the web while I am down watching TV. I generally find my tablet or sometimes my smartphone is best for this...generally less hassle (except for zooming the small screen of the laptop). For more "intensive" browsing, a laptop or desktop is better.

Reading something like a PDF or eBook, definitely the tablet.

Doing "real work" like word processing or spreadsheets, then it will be at least my 11" laptop, but sometimes it is best with my 17" laptop (which is basically setup as a desktop) or my actual desktop.

If I had to choose just one, then it would likely be the 17" laptop, but might be the 11" laptop. Either can do most of what I want/need with the 17" being slight better all around (but the it is much more of pain to lug around for "portable" use).

Good point, I wish I could make that change; it WAS what I meant. But suddenly I can't edit it now. RATS.

Thank you. (I've not even voted yet, lol.)

This post has been edited by brainout: 25 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

@brainout By the way, you get an hour to edit your posts.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 25 August 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

@brainout By the way, you get an hour to edit your posts.

Thanks, Brian. I didn't know that. Love your signature. It makes my day every time i sign in here and see your posts. So very true about how computers DO NOT WORK. Gotta run now, am setting up my new dream XP, yelling at Chrome for its dysfunctional bookmark manager. Why are they all so jealous of each other, that we can't just import AND EXPORT our bookmarks and passwords? Oh well. Four hours just on this. No wonder PC sales are declining. It's too HARD to upgrade.

Now if only I could figure out why my new (well, newly assembled) HP 6400's drive CHIRPs when it stores or moves data around. It's cute (I miss my pet bird who died); but weird. I used to have to CLAP MY HANDS to get my 286 to start. My computer guy didn't believe it, until he came over and saw me do it. Back then, it was only 1985. Wow.

This post has been edited by brainout: 26 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks!

In Chrome and Firefox, you can just go into the bookmark manager and export them as HTML. It's not that hard. For security reasons, I prefer to not use the password managers in browsers.
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users