Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why Are Amd Cheaper Than Intel Processors AMD vs Intel

#1 User is offline   Billyy 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Is it because they are inferior at quality and life span?

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

Processors generally don't die (things like the hard drive tend to be most likely to fail). However, Intel processors tend to be much faster than AMD ones. For instance, the Sandy Bridge processors are significantly better than the Bulldozers.

That said, their APU options are good for some machines - decent CPU, and nice (by integrated standards) graphics.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   Billyy 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 26 August 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

Processors generally don't die (things like the hard drive tend to be most likely to fail). However, Intel processors tend to be much faster than AMD ones. For instance, the Sandy Bridge processors are significantly better than the Bulldozers.

That said, their APU options are good for some machines - decent CPU, and nice (by integrated standards) graphics.

So they are worse at gaming and multi-tasking? Also eat more power causing more heat?

#4 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostBillyy, on 26 August 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 26 August 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

So they are worse at gaming and multi-tasking? Also eat more power causing more heat?

You should google amd versus intel to get really into the tecnical writings of this very question.
Here's one artical under the above search.
http://www.techradar...-is-best-936589

From what I know, the quality of the two is not an issue.
As Brian stated, performance is the most considered issue.
Intel is superior.

This doesn't mean amd sucks.
Any build is based on, what do I need this pc to do?
In many cases the AMD cpu is the superior choice based on performance/price ratio.

I'm not sure where the line is, but once a certain demand is needed for your pc experiance, intel is the better choice.
I own both processors and each machine performes excellent based on it's use.

Read the above artical, it answers some of your other questions.

#5 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

Intel currently offers far better value for CPU's over ~ $90. Intel CPU's are faster per clock/core, and they consume less power (generally). To be honest, unless I was building a dirt cheap machine, Intel is the go-to manufacturer right now.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users