• You cannot reply to this topic

Usb To Rj45

#1 User is offline   zyrrahXD 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

Good Day.

Almost all of us is familiar with USB and RJ45 right?

how well you know the connection using a USB device to RJ45?

a USB device carries a internet connection when plug on a desktop or a laptop.
the same with a RJ45 that carries a internet connection.

how about an input of USB device and an output of RJ45?
there are cables for this right?
did you get the same speed/transfer rate?

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostzyrrahXD, on 18 October 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

Good Day.

Hey zyrrah,
Here's a page full of USB/RJ45 adapters:
http://www.newegg.co...sb+rj45+adapter
I didn't look at the specs on any of them.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   alpineskier 

• Pip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

My question may be similar. Can I hard-wire my USB printer to a RJ45 port on my wireless router and use it as a network printer? Currently, my printer is directly connected to the 'main' computer which has to be on in order to print from another networked PC. (We do not use ICS.)

This post has been edited by alpineskier: 02 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

I've seen this attempted and the result was some smoking chips. RJ45 is a telephone standard and thus involves 48 volts DC. Not a delightful mix to be placing on asystem board. Adapters are preferble and external the basic, keep those higher voltages outside the case. Maybe an option for the printer to get you network ready. Like a WIFI adapter and then all on rhe home ntwork can access it.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

View Postalpineskier, on 02 November 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

My question may be similar. Can I hard-wire my USB printer to a RJ45 port on my wireless router and use it as a network printer? Currently, my printer is directly connected to the 'main' computer which has to be on in order to print from another networked PC. (We do not use ICS.)

There are print servers (sometimes built into the router) that should be able to do that.

Also, it's best to start your own thread.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Good Day.

You're trying to mix two different technologies.. The RJ45 is a standard for the phone system and conversion is usually done first by a MODEM. Outputs from the modem are most often ethernet only. USB is an entirely new interface standard that is to replace the serial/parellel interface for innumerable devices. I believe the phone standard is presently up to 156K baud but actually multiplexes two signals. Phone input is via RJ45 and is analog unless a digital line is subscribed to. (DSL) If you look at the older modems, both plug in and external, there is a section right at the point the phone line enters the device. Transformers and supression/protection devices are intended to stop any surges or spikes that may come in on the phone line and is a UL requirement for all such devices.

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

RJ45 is ethernet and RJ11 is phone actually. He just needs to get an adapter, like these.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

If it is a USB printer only (i.e. no built-in network printing function), then no. While you can send a USB signal over/thru a RJ45 connection (an excellent example are the data cables that APC UPS devices use to communicate with a computer...on the computer end it is USB and the UPS end it is an RJ45 connector), you cannot send a USB signal over an ethernet network, which is what you are basically looking to do.

If you want to use a USB only print over the netwrok, you will either need a print server or leave it connected to your computer and share the printer using Windows printer sharing function. For the former, some routers have built-in print servers as do some NAS devices, but you can also get "stand alone" USB print servers (such as this - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833139009 - this is an example, I am not necessarily recommending it).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#9 User is offline   alpineskier 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

View Postsmax013, on 03 November 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

If it is a USB printer only (i.e. no built-in network printing function), then no. While you can send a USB signal over/thru a RJ45 connection (an excellent example are the data cables that APC UPS devices use to communicate with a computer...on the computer end it is USB and the UPS end it is an RJ45 connector), you cannot send a USB signal over an ethernet network, which is what you are basically looking to do.

If you want to use a USB only print over the netwrok, you will either need a print server or leave it connected to your computer and share the printer using Windows printer sharing function. For the former, some routers have built-in print servers as do some NAS devices, but you can also get "stand alone" USB print servers (such as this - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833139009 - this is an example, I am not necessarily recommending it).

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply, especially smax. I appreciate your input.

#10 User is offline   zyrrahXD 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

To be more specific, a broadband brought an internet connection to a pc/laptop and its USB.
The phone connected to the modem brought also internet connection.
Just a curiosity, what if this broadband plugged in to an adapter that gives an output that fits
to the modem and the modem connected to your device, will you get internet connection?

#11 User is offline   billybob2014 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Good Day.

USB is a type of device network, but not the same thing as RJ45/Ethernet.

The only thing you can use the type of cable you are talking about it is to make a big long USB extension cord!!

If you had a printer in a office which didn't have a built in Network card/Printer Server. you can connect it to a computer/server thru RJ45 Jack/Network Cabling

Ex.. Printer <-- USB/RJ45 Adapter --> Network Jack(s) in the office <-- USB/RJ45 Adapter --> computer/server(probably some where else in the building)

This post has been edited by billybob2014: 25 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users