PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: When Can Windows Save A File With Simple Punctuation? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When Can Windows Save A File With Simple Punctuation?

#1 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Windows can save file names in Every language in the world. That must be difficult code to write.

When will Microsoft finally allow file names with simple punctuation?

Microsoft has written code, to save file names in Every Language in the world, but they can't figure out how to write code, to save file names with Simple Punctuation.

Your Thoughts Please

MLStrand56

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

The reason is because those symbols were used for system functions back in the DOS days. (the spacebar was also this way originally, but they changed it)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   MLStrand56 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 19 October 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

The reason is because those symbols were used for system functions back in the DOS days. (the spacebar was also this way originally, but they changed it)

LOL....So current Windows is still shackled to DOS?

Current Windows has figured out how to Include: ()[] ' (That I know of), but not other Common punctuation marks?

Maybe some Non-Mickeysoft programer can figure out how to fix this problem. Maybe the writers of Tweak UI can figure out the the code.

Any Takers?

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostMLStrand56, on 19 October 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Windows can save file names in Every language in the world. That must be difficult code to write.

Microsoft has written code, to save file names in Every Language in the world, but they can't figure out how to write code, to save file names with Simple Punctuation.

Your Thoughts Please

MLStrand56

Some punctuation has uses within path handling, and that would cause problems if it was part of a file name. \ separates folders in a path, ? indicates any character, * means any string of characters.

On the other hand, . separates the file name from the extension, yet you can also use . within a file name, which actually does cause problems.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostMLStrand56, on 19 October 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

Your Thoughts Please

MLStrand56

Get a Mac! ;)

The Mac OS file system is fine with most punctuation. It does have its own "quirks". The only completely off limits punctuation is a colon (i.e. a ":") as it is used in file paths. Others might cause some fun if you use the Terminal to go into the Unix side of things (i.e. wildcard characters such as a "?" and a "*").

I would assume that Linux might be in the same boat.

For Windows, as noted, it is due to DOS legacy issues. So, unless Microsoft completely redoes its file system (which is probably not too likely), this likely is not going to change anytime soon.

This post has been edited by smax013: 22 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hey, everyone. I've been researching this a bit. Here's what I found:

Actually, the problem isn't anywhere near as serious as somemight think. You can use the vast majority of punctuation marks available onyour keyboard in a file name.

There are, in fact, only nine that you can't use:

• ·\
  • ·/
  • ·:
  • ·?
  • ·"
  • ·<
  • ·>
  • ·|

If you use Microsoft Word, you might think that allpunctuation is blocked, but that's a problem with Word, not Windows. When you savea new file, Word brings up the Save As dialog box, and inserts the document's openingtext as a likely file name.

But it truncates that text at the very first punctuationmark. In other words, if your document starts with the title Pilgrim's Progress, Word will suggestyou save the file simply as Pilgrim.But you don't have to. You can type in the full name and save the file.

Okay, but why are those nine characters blocked?

One could arguably say that they're a throwback to the badold days of DOS, when only eight characters and no punctuation were allowed. Andin a sense, they are…but not in a bad way.

Windows, like DOS before it, uses all of these symbols todefine file locations as paths.

For instance, I'm currently writing in a file called November Answer Line.docx, inside my 1211 folder, which is inside my Dropbox folder, within Documents, within Lincoln, on my D: drive. Much easier to display it as D:\Lincoln\Documents\Dropbox\1211\NovemberAnswer Line.docx.

But if I could name the file November/Answer:Line.docx, it wouldn't know if November was a folder or part of the file name.

The same goes for characters like ?, which means any character in a search, or *, which means any string of characters.

Frankly, I wish Microsoft was stricter about this, anddidn't allow us to use periods (.) in file names.

Why? It allows malware developers to fool people intothinking that one time of file is another altogether. Remember that Windows, bydefault, hides the extension from the user, so that a file named Microsoft-Services-Agreement.pdf.exe(<a href="http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/09/17/malware-attack-blasted-out-in-important-changes-to-microsoft-services-agreement-email/">anactual example from a recent Trojan) looks to most users like Microsoft-Services-Agreement.pdf.

#7 User is offline   A41202813 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

@LincolnSpector

That Is Exactly Why 'I LOVE YOU' Was Such A Disaster.

Fortunately, I Almost Never Open Attachments In Mails - I Save Them For Future Inspection.

My Computer, In That Client Bank, Must Have Been One Of The Few Not Affected On That THURSDAY MAY 4 2000 - What A Memory Lane.

Cheers.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users