PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Mirroring + Dual Monitors = Possible? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mirroring + Dual Monitors = Possible? Can this work?

#1 User is offline   cctaylor88 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I own a NVIDIA GTX 460 graphics card. It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI mini outputs...I currently have my 2 monitors connected via DVI and the TV connected via HDMI mini. I know that it doesn't support three devices at the same time, for instance I can only have 2 monitors on at once, or 1 monitor and the TV at one time because it will automatically shut the third device off.

Currently I have to either use dual monitor setup or primary monitor and TV. If I buy an HDMI splitter, will it allow me to have all three devices connected and on at the same time? For instance, If i connect the Primary Monitor/TV up to the splitter (which will be directly connected to PC) and the second monitor connected as is...can I have dual independent monitors running as well as have the TV mirror the primary monitor? Will I be able to have all three devices running at once even though this gpu wont support it?

I just want my TV to mirror primary monitor and have the second monitor be independent for dual-monitor usage. So is this possible? Primary/TV mirrored and secondary monitor independent (to use for dual-monitor usage)

Grapics card: GTX 460
Motherboard:ASUS M4A87

This post has been edited by cctaylor88: 02 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

View Postcctaylor88, on 02 November 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I own a NVIDIA GTX 460 graphics card. It has 2 DVI and 1 HDMI mini outputs...I currently have my 2 monitors connected via DVI and the TV connected via HDMI mini. I know that it doesn't support three devices at the same time, for instance I can only have 2 monitors on at once, or 1 monitor and the TV at one time because it will automatically shut the third device off.

Currently I have to either use dual monitor setup or primary monitor and TV. If I buy an HDMI splitter, will it allow me to have all three devices connected and on at the same time? For instance, If i connect the Primary Monitor/TV up to the splitter (which will be directly connected to PC) and the second monitor connected as is...can I have dual independent monitors running as well as have the TV mirror the primary monitor? Will I be able to have all three devices running at once even though this gpu wont support it?

I just want my TV to mirror primary monitor and have the second monitor be independent for dual-monitor usage. So is this possible? Primary/TV mirrored and secondary monitor independent (to use for dual-monitor usage)

It should work. You will likely want to use a powered/amplified splitter (which is most of them).

The one potential slight issue will be screen resolution. Depending on your aspect ratio of the monitor and the TV, you might end up with one being a "distorted".
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

nvm

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 03 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 03 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I think he wants to have the displays cloned using 2 of the outputs on the video card, and then the 3rd output driving a separate display though. I'm not actually sure if this is possible or not, with the usual 2 monitor limit, but I suspect it isn't.

No, the OP is asking if he/she can use ONE video card output (namely the HDMI port) to output to an HDMI splitter that will then supply a video signal to the primary monitor AND the TV; then use a SECOND video card output to directly feed the second computer monitor; and lastly leave the third video card output unused. This should work.

The OP clearly states in the first paragraph plus the first sentence of the second paragraph that he/she has tried what you describe and learned that it does not work with three screens. The part in red is where the OP asks about using a splitter with one video port for two mirrored screens and a second video port for the third screen.

Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Whoops, I misread it.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   cctaylor88 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

View Postsmax013, on 03 November 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

View Postcctaylor88, on 02 November 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

It should work. You will likely want to use a powered/amplified splitter (which is most of them).

The one potential slight issue will be screen resolution. Depending on your aspect ratio of the monitor and the TV, you might end up with one being a "distorted".

Thats what I thought but some people think that since my primary monitor and my TV arent the same resolution it won't work?

How simple would it be to buy a video card specifically to plug my TV into...nothing fancy just the bare minimum to support its HD?

Also..the only thing holding me back is the fact that when I right click on my NVIDIA contrl panel in order to change from "dualview" to "clone" it only gives combinations of 2 devices (Monitor 1 + Monitor 2, Monitor 1 + TV etc)...so when I split the signal how then would it know to have the TV and Monitor 1 on same signal/clone and have Monitor 2 as an independent?

What do you mean multiplex system? I would just buy a simple 1 in 2 out splitter...or cheap gpu if that would work? Im just scared I wont be able to "select" this option from the NVIDIA control panel...as it only allows combonations of 2 devices

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

If the TV and primary monitor aren't the same resolution, it'll still work, but it will be a bit distorted - you'll have to use a resolution low enough that both support it.You should be able to buy a cheap card though (or use integrated graphics, if you have them) along with the main one for up to 4 displays though. (2 each) Come to think of it, I have a Geforce 210 in the closet, which I'll have to try sometime. That said, if you're cloning 2 of them, a splitter is cheaper and easier - the PC will see it as one display, so you can still have another monitor (displaying something else perhaps).
Spoiler

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

View Postcctaylor88, on 06 November 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

Thats what I thought but some people think that since my primary monitor and my TV arent the same resolution it won't work?

How simple would it be to buy a video card specifically to plug my TV into...nothing fancy just the bare minimum to support its HD?

Also..the only thing holding me back is the fact that when I right click on my NVIDIA contrl panel in order to change from "dualview" to "clone" it only gives combinations of 2 devices (Monitor 1 + Monitor 2, Monitor 1 + TV etc)...so when I split the signal how then would it know to have the TV and Monitor 1 on same signal/clone and have Monitor 2 as an independent?

What do you mean multiplex system? I would just buy a simple 1 in 2 out splitter...or cheap gpu if that would work? Im just scared I wont be able to "select" this option from the NVIDIA control panel...as it only allows combonations of 2 devices

If you go the route of a splitter for one monitor and the TV, then to the computer/graphics card it will appears as if there are only two screens hooked up. In other words, the graphics card/computer will have no clue that you are "splitting" the signal to mirror the image on the one monitor and the TV.

Monitors can typically handle quite a few different resolutions. TVs typically can handle different resolutions as well, but generally are not as flexible as a computer monitor. So, more than likely you will be able to find a resolution that will work with both the monitor and the TV...BUT it might mean that on one of the two that the image might be distorted or might end up with letterboxing (the black bars above and below the screen image) pillarboxing (the black bars on each side of the screen image).

As noted, you could buy a second graphics card, but that has the potential to get messy as sometime the display drivers won't play nice together.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#9 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Buy another video card that is similar to your NVIDIA GTX 460 and it should work fine.
Dont get an ATI card, that would probably make trouble.
Asus Vento Mini Tower Case....Asus M5A87 MOBO.....AMD Phenom II X6 1100T ( 3.3 OCed to 4.1GHz )....Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....Three Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III....Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III....8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600 RAM....450W PSU....ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Direct Cu 1058MHZ 1GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI D-Sub HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card....Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card....LG 24X SATA DVD burner....27" LED Monitor & 26" CRT TV.....custom pressurized air cooling system.... WindowsXP Home SP3 32bit
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users