Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Compatibility

#1 User is offline   Usrn 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

I have a HP a6120n with Vista. I've been running Superantispyware, MBAM, etc. regulary to try to keep this thing fairly clean. There probably are some registry issues. Do I need to get this squeaky clean before I put Windows 8 on it.

I ran the compatibility utility and it says "Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8" When I click on More info, Word opens with html code.

I've been all over the Internet trying to figure this out. Vague 'answers' to others' questions about this too. Any clues here?

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I don't think you can do an in-place upgrade from Vista anyway, so getting the system clean doesn't matter - the OS itself will be removed (even though your files will be transferred over).

Also, Secure Boot isn't at all necessary to run Windows 8. (note for others reading this: NX-bit IS, and old machines - Pentium 4 Northwoods, Athlon XPs, and back don't have this - anything newer shouldn't have issues as long as the BIOS supports it) The real question is whether or not you can put up with the interface. (this is a bit of an opinionated thing really)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

View PostUsrn, on 02 November 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

I have a HP a6120n with Vista. I've been running Superantispyware, MBAM, etc. regulary to try to keep this thing fairly clean. There probably are some registry issues. Do I need to get this squeaky clean before I put Windows 8 on it.

I ran the compatibility utility and it says "Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8" When I click on More info, Word opens with html code.

I've been all over the Internet trying to figure this out. Vague 'answers' to others' questions about this too. Any clues here?

When I upgraded I got the same message, because my motherboard doesn't support UEFI. It's nothing to worry about.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#4 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

I hope my new Vista system says the same thing. It means that Windows 8 cannot prevent you from creating a dual boot machine. Technically, 'Secure Boot' means that for the machine to boot, the OS must be 'signed'. To get a 'signed' OS, any other OS has to get a 'signature' code FROM Microsoft. This, of course, stops competing OSs from being used, though in the name of protecting you from malware. Fedora will get a 'signature' code from MS, so you will be able to create a dual-boot with Win8 and Fedora. But that might be all, for now.

Alternatively, one can turn off Secure Boot, but I'm not sure how to do that, yet. Finally, if your machine doesn't support turning it off OR on -- as yours does not, and neither do some of mine -- then Windows cannot tyrannize you by enabling it. Any machine you buy with Win8 preinstalled, already has Secure Boot, and it's enabled; so you can't create a dual-boot machine (well, maybe you can, but it's a hassle).

This post has been edited by brainout: 03 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

#5 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Here's what will stop Win8 from installing, the infamous and never-explained, 'NX'. Sorry this is so complicated, but it took me hours to find this, so I hope it won't take you more than 20 minutes.

1. Nx is an attribute in your computer's processor which Win8 has to be able to turn on, to protect good programs and detect bad ones. Basically, Nx is a traffic cop. But can Windows turn it on? Or is it even there TO turn on?
2. Windows 8 Advisor allegedly checks for this Nx attribute, but cannot detect it in older computers, even if it is there. So Win8 might not install on your machine if it isn't there. So to save you the irritation of buying the upgrade when you can't install it, you have to check it yourself.
3. To do that, you have to download a program called coreinfo.exe, but that program is defective, in the sense that it exits so you can't see the results.
4. You can fix the defect by running the program in a bat file, which is a text file (ASCII, not formatting), but with the special extention 'bat', which tells Windows it is a program shell. So in Notepad or Word create a bat file with only two lines:
coreinfo.exe
PAUSE
5. Save it as a text file, but with the bat extension. Name the bat file and put it in your root directory.
6.Go to http://technet.micro...ernals/cc835722 and download the zip file into your root directory, extracting only the exe file to the root directory, NOT a folder .
7. Run the bat file (Start Run type bat name, or just double-click on it in your root directory.) It will output as a DOS window on your screen, with PAUSE at the end.

8. So now, to interpret what that output means, go to http://www.intowindo...orts-windows-8/. When you first see the window, you're at the end of the file, so scroll up to read the output.

9. The PAUSE stops the window from closing. So when you're done reading, hit the Return/Enter key, and maybe type 'exit', if the window doesn't close.

Now all this still doesn't mean that Win8 will install. It might not be able to turn NX on. I have no idea how to know under what circumstances it won't be able to turn it on. But if it cannot do that, Win8 will not install on your machine.

One more glitch in MS OS.

This post has been edited by brainout: 04 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

#6 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

If installing from Windows without it, it will give an error. If booting from the disc, you'll get a BSOD.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

All that means is that Windows won't be able to lock down your boot-loader. Meaning that it is technically there are viruses that can attach there. If you run decent anti-virus software, and haven't had these problems yet, then they will very likely continue to be a non-issue.

For the majority of people upgrading, this is a warning that is safe to ignore.

Do yourself a favor and ignore Brainouts rant - he is referring to something that is completely unrelated.

This post has been edited by waldojim: 04 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Another way to think about it - so far, no one's been using Secure Boot, and it hasn't been a problem.
Spoiler

#9 User is offline   Usrn 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

This website sign in issue is going bananas...

So from what it sounds like, secure boot would be good to have. There must be a way to enable it.

#10 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostUsrn, on 04 November 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

This website sign in issue is going bananas...

So from what it sounds like, secure boot would be good to have. There must be a way to enable it.

You have to have a UEFI in place of a BIOS, and that UEFI has to support those functions. Most machines made before 2012 won't have this function. In reality, it is not that important.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#11 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

View Postbrainout, on 03 November 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

I hope my new Vista system says the same thing. It means that Windows 8 cannot prevent you from creating a dual boot machine. Technically, 'Secure Boot' means that for the machine to boot, the OS must be 'signed'. To get a 'signed' OS, any other OS has to get a 'signature' code FROM Microsoft. This, of course, stops competing OSs from being used, though in the name of protecting you from malware. Fedora will get a 'signature' code from MS, so you will be able to create a dual-boot with Win8 and Fedora. But that might be all, for now.

Alternatively, one can turn off Secure Boot, but I'm not sure how to do that, yet. Finally, if your machine doesn't support turning it off OR on -- as yours does not, and neither do some of mine -- then Windows cannot tyrannize you by enabling it. Any machine you buy with Win8 preinstalled, already has Secure Boot, and it's enabled; so you can't create a dual-boot machine (well, maybe you can, but it's a hassle).

Yep, my 32-bit Vista Business machine has UEFI off, and so Secure boot can't run on it, but Windows 8 can run. Whew. That said, I'll probably upgrade to Win7 instead, and treble the partition, get 64-bit Linux on the 2nd, upgrade the RAM to 16 GB (the max), and finally install Win8 fresh on the third partition. That way I can wipe it, when ready. Have a second drive bay for programs and data, since Windows restore and refresh are so dumb. Not RAID.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users