• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Security Primer

#1 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Can someone please explain, in simple terms, the difference between Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender, and third-party apps? I run antivirus and firewall programs, do I need to have anything more running as basic protection? I'm asking this as I seem to remember reading that MS Security Essentials was more than a firewall, but I can't find info on it. If its nothing but a firewall then how do I disable it permanently? And if it is more than just a firewall, is there a simple way to permanently disable just the firewall part while leaving the other functions intact?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostBearPup, on 05 November 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Can someone please explain, in simple terms, the difference between Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Defender, and third-party apps? I run antivirus and firewall programs, do I need to have anything more running as basic protection? I'm asking this as I seem to remember reading that MS Security Essentials was more than a firewall, but I can't find info on it. If its nothing but a firewall then how do I disable it permanently? And if it is more than just a firewall, is there a simple way to permanently disable just the firewall part while leaving the other functions intact?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi BearPup,
It started with Windows Defender as an anti-malware program that you could use in conjunction with an anti-virus program. That was followed by MSE, which is both an anti-virus and anti-malware program (although the distinction is pretty fuzzy these days). MSE is not a firewall, it works with the firewall that is built into Windows that should not be disabled unless you have another firewall program running.
(To complicate things further, MSE is called Defender in the new Windows 8, and is included in the install.)
Third party apps usually include extra features, like email filters, that aren't built in to MSE.
Several of the regular posters on this forum run MSE, often in conjunction with a non-resident malware program, with great success. The fact that it's free doesn't hurt either.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi compnovo,
Thanks for your response. From what you say, it sounds like I can disable the whole thing. My reasoning is this. First, I run Avast Antivirus 7 and PrivateFirewall 7, which cover inbound and outbound connections including emails. Second, every time I start Windows (7 Home Premium) I get this Defender dialog box saying the Service has stopped running, click the Start Now button to restart it; this tremendously slows down starting Windows, and if the Defs aren't up-to-date, its an 18Mb download and install through Windows Update.

Thirdly, I currently disable the firewall component using Tiny Wall (a third part app that controls Windows Firewall), to avoid conflict with my main firewall. And lastly, as it doesn't seem to be doing anything 'extra', I'm running needless programs and services that run the risk of causing conflicts.

If you disagree with this, please let me know, otherwise, thanks for the information, its been most helpful.

#4 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostBearPup, on 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Hi compnovo,
Thanks for your response. From what you say, it sounds like I can disable the whole thing. My reasoning is this. First, I run Avast Antivirus 7 and PrivateFirewall 7, which cover inbound and outbound connections including emails. Second, every time I start Windows (7 Home Premium) I get this Defender dialog box saying the Service has stopped running, click the Start Now button to restart it; this tremendously slows down starting Windows, and if the Defs aren't up-to-date, its an 18Mb download and install through Windows Update.

Thirdly, I currently disable the firewall component using Tiny Wall (a third part app that controls Windows Firewall), to avoid conflict with my main firewall. And lastly, as it doesn't seem to be doing anything 'extra', I'm running needless programs and services that run the risk of causing conflicts.

If you disagree with this, please let me know, otherwise, thanks for the information, its been most helpful.

It sounds to me like you're on the right track since you're running third party AV and firewall programs. You should be able to disable Defender in msconfig, and it will stop pestering you. I'm not at a PC where I can access msconfig or I would check to be sure.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hey BearPup !

In Windows 7, go to Control Panel. Click on the "View By" arrow on the upper right hand corner and choose "Large Icons"

Scroll down to Windows Defender and click on it.

If it is running, it will appear. Go to the Settings tab and make sure it Doesn't start with boot up and has the check box cleared
of the Real Time Protection.

If it is not running then this is what you get :

Posted Image

I would suggest you go to the Services folder and make sure it is Disabled and not on Manuel or Automatic.
It is not recommended to use msconfig for such tasks although, almost everyone does it.

If you had MSE installed, Windows Defender would have been disabled by MSE automatically upon installation of MSE.

For the Firewall again, use Control Panel and scroll down to the Firewall. Click on it and on the left hand side, you can click on the link to
either turn it on or OFF.

Posted Image

Again, by default, MSE would have turned it on upon install of MSE

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

To Both compnovo and Flashorn,
My thanks to both of you for your help. You're both right in terms of accomplishing the task. What I initially did was go through the Control Panel, first clicking on Windows Defender and then Windows Firewall to get to the 'turn off' settings for each item. That in turn leads to the Action Center where the settings are actiually changed.

Upon reading about msconfig I ran that and discovered that both Windows Firewall and Defender were listed under Services. Using the msconfig utility, I disabled both 'permanently', so on reboots I shouldn't be bothered any more.

Again, my thanks to both of you; I now have a leaner, slightly faster, more responsive, less nagging system.

Sincerely,
BearPup

#7 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostBearPup, on 05 November 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

To Both compnovo and Flashorn,
My thanks to both of you for your help. You're both right in terms of accomplishing the task. What I initially did was go through the Control Panel, first clicking on Windows Defender and then Windows Firewall to get to the 'turn off' settings for each item. That in turn leads to the Action Center where the settings are actiually changed.

Upon reading about msconfig I ran that and discovered that both Windows Firewall and Defender were listed under Services. Using the msconfig utility, I disabled both 'permanently', so on reboots I shouldn't be bothered any more.

Again, my thanks to both of you; I now have a leaner, slightly faster, more responsive, less nagging system.

Sincerely,
BearPup

Glad we could help. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users