Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Advice On Components For Pc

#1 User is offline   Loran33 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hey! I am building a new pc for high fps gaming and for design (web, photoshop, illustrator), the adobe stuff basically, but I am not sure whether I am making the right choices, so far I decided I really want the 2011 socket, for futureproofing, therefore I decided to go with:
Processor:
Intel i7 3820( Any good reason to upgrade to i7 3930k?)
Motherboard:
ASUS Extreme IV/ ASUS P9x79/ another x79 mobo? (very flexible here)
Memory:
16GB at 1600Mhz, thinking maybe corsair dominator GT since I want to include it in a liquid cooling loop, and it much easier to take off the top rather than the whole heatsink
GPU:
EVGA GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper (overkill?, not very keen on SLI, heard it causes lots of problems)
Case:
???
PSU:
???
Liquid Cooling:
Any good companies?

I know I don't have a well defined build but I am a bit undecided. Thank for any help :)

#2 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostLoran33, on 05 November 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Hey! I am building a new pc for high fps gaming and for design (web, photoshop, illustrator), the adobe stuff basically, but I am not sure whether I am making the right choices, so far I decided I really want the 2011 socket, for futureproofing, therefore I decided to go with:
Processor:
Intel i7 3820( Any good reason to upgrade to i7 3930k?)
Motherboard:
ASUS Extreme IV/ ASUS P9x79/ another x79 mobo? (very flexible here)
Memory:
16GB at 1600Mhz, thinking maybe corsair dominator GT since I want to include it in a liquid cooling loop, and it much easier to take off the top rather than the whole heatsink
GPU:
EVGA GTX 680 Classified Hydro Copper (overkill?, not very keen on SLI, heard it causes lots of problems)
Case:
???
PSU:
???
Liquid Cooling:
Any good companies?

I know I don't have a well defined build but I am a bit undecided. Thank for any help :)

The big reason to move to the 3930k would be for the extra 2 cores. The 2011 platform was really meant for 6 core CPUs.
As for the motherboard, that isn't bad, but I also suggest you take a peak at the Gigabyte Assassin G1. You do lose a few things, like the last PCI-E slot (replaced with legacy PCI), and the extra memory bank. However, you gain things like a higher quality network card (Bigfoot E2100), Wireless card, and even on board Creative X-Fi audio.

SLI doesn't really cause a lot of problems, it just requires a bit more attention to tune and keep at peak performance. However, one powerful card is typically superior to two less powerful cards. Namely because it is more consistent.

As for the case, that is really personal preference. My Antec 1200 does a great job cooling components, but has a bit of a noise issue. Too many fans! I would suggest looking into the Silverstone Raven RV03. Of course others will have different opinions.

The power supply for such a machine really doesn't need to be that powerful. Basically, any 650~750watt PSU would do the trick. Go for quality units though, PC Power and Cooling is my personal recommendation. I have been using my Silencer for quite some time now. Corsair TX and AX series are also at the top of the list. OCZ ZX series, SeaSonic, and Antec High Current Gamers are also recommended. If you find something you have a question about, ask.

Do you have an actual need to water cool? Do you have experience with it already? If you can answer no to those, then I would suggest going for a more "risk free" approach. Decent air cooling can work quite well, and still maintain a low volume. If your answer is 'yes' to those, then I will double check a few things before commenting - namely to see if the parts are still available.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#3 User is offline   Loran33 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

So for CPU would you suggest I upgrade to i7 3930k? I like the G1 Assassin, but superficial as it is, I'm not sure about the green, since with water cooling, that would force me to use green coloured liquid. Yea I think I'll stick with the GTX 680, with the case I wanted something with plenty of space for a cylindrical reservoir. I will need to look up some more cases before I ask any questions there, with the power supply, how many watts should I be looking for? A friend of mine in IT told me that I should get well over the amount of energy the computer needs, so that the PSU will have a longer lifetime. Now the thing with water-cooling is, that no, this is my first water-cooling rig, but this computer is part of a very important project that I need in order to graduate, now the thing is, the only way I could convince them that the process of building a computer is complex and challenging was by telling them it's gonna have a water-cooling loop, so honestly, I would prefer the simplicity of air cooling, but my hands are tied when it comes to that :/ Also any memory manufacturer that you prefer? Corsair, g skill?

#4 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostLoran33, on 05 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

So for CPU would you suggest I upgrade to i7 3930k? I like the G1 Assassin, but superficial as it is, I'm not sure about the green, since with water cooling, that would force me to use green coloured liquid. Yea I think I'll stick with the GTX 680, with the case I wanted something with plenty of space for a cylindrical reservoir. I will need to look up some more cases before I ask any questions there, with the power supply, how many watts should I be looking for? A friend of mine in IT told me that I should get well over the amount of energy the computer needs, so that the PSU will have a longer lifetime. Now the thing with water-cooling is, that no, this is my first water-cooling rig, but this computer is part of a very important project that I need in order to graduate, now the thing is, the only way I could convince them that the process of building a computer is complex and challenging was by telling them it's gonna have a water-cooling loop, so honestly, I would prefer the simplicity of air cooling, but my hands are tied when it comes to that :/ Also any memory manufacturer that you prefer? Corsair, g skill?

We all have our reasons for not using specific parts. I am just as guilty of using color as my reasoning. Though honestly, I have always been partial to parts that are blacklight reactive myself.

I would suggest going with the 3930k if you really want to go with the 2011 platform. If you are going to go quad core, you are actually better off with the Ivy Bridge chips (1155) otherwise, as the CPU's are actually a bit faster.

Having more power than needed doesn't mean the PSU will last longer. What you will find, is that your overclocking headroom will be determined by the total wattage, as well as video expansion room. However, if you have too much power, you may actually find yourself in a bit of an odd position, where (when idle in particular) the PSU is not only inefficient, but unstable. With top quality units the stability issue isn't much of a factor to consider. But, I would still keep that in mind. As an excellent example, if you bought a 1200watt PSU, anything less than 240 watts puts you into the "possibly unstable" load on that power supply. That also has around 700 watts more than you will consume under full load (stock). A machine like this typically idles around 100~120 watts. The full load should set you about 400 watt(EDIT to clarify, this is just the system power. There is, of course, a bit more in use from the water cooling system). That is why I suggested the 750 watt PSU. It sits right in there with plenty of power for the system, overclocking headroom, and even the water pump, while also reducing the chance of instability at idle. I can say, that I have a several year old 750 watt PSU that I have put under extreme loads, and it still works just fine. The trick here is to buy a quality unit. A decent PC Power and Cooling Silencer, or Corsair TX/AX power supply can easily last 7 years or more.

OK, I need to go back and do some homework on the socket 2011 water block. I know what I have, and what used to be the king block, but I don't want to go recommending those, when they are very likely not applicable here. So please give me a little time, and I will come back with water cooling ideas. Lastly, do you have any idea what your final goals are for the system? Is this something that you are going to overclock and stress with games, or will it be running continuous loads, or what? The radiator, and reservoir will have to be planned accordingly.

This post has been edited by waldojim: 05 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#5 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Ok, for the water block, the best bet seems to be the EK Supremacy. Roughly $120. That block cools to about 3 degrees cooler than the competition. Then look for a swiftech 35z - http://www.frozencpu...40/ex-pmp-109/. The radiator and reservoir will depend on what case you decide on.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users