PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Multiple Linux Partitions? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple Linux Partitions? Can I do this?

#1 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

I want to prepare one computer with three partitions: eventually two of them being Windows, and one Linux. But I don't know yet which distro I'll like. So I was thinking of taking one of the computers with a version of Windows on it, then installing a distro and creating two partitions with it. One of the partitions would remain 'unallocated', and the other would be the Linux. Then, I'd find another Linux distro and install it on the last partition. After deciding which distro I like the best, I'll finally replace one of the Linux partitions with another Windows version, probably Win8, using its System Builder.

Do you think that's the easiest way to do this, or is there some better way? I have all of the EASEUS products, but am leery of using them. Thank you for your time!

This post has been edited by brainout: 06 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View Postbrainout, on 06 November 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

I want to prepare one computer with three partitions: eventually two of them being Windows, and one Linux. But I don't know yet which distro I'll like. So I was thinking of taking one of the computers with a version of Windows on it, then installing a distro and creating two partitions with it. One of the partitions would remain 'unallocated', and the other would be the Linux. Then, I'd find another Linux distro and install it on the last partition. After deciding which distro I like the best, I'll finally replace one of the Linux partitions with another Windows version, probably Win8, using its System Builder.

Do you think that's the easiest way to do this, or is there some better way? I have all of the EASEUS products, but am leery of using them. Thank you for your time!

The easiest thing might be to try various Linux versions in a VM using VirtualBox or VMWare. It should be good enough to allow you to get a feel for how well you like a particular distro. This would easily allow you to try more than 2 distros.

Another option would be to use separate hard drives for each distro.

What you propose would work, but I am not sure it is the easiest. I have found that installing multiple OSs in separate partitions on one hard drive can get problematic at times. You likely may not have any problems, but it does get a little bit more messy when using multiple OSs on multiple partitions on one drive. Of course, the messiness tends to come from wanting to remove an OS/partition later...which if you are purely doing "testing" and will ultimately wipe the drive when done "testing", then this may not matter. It is for this reason that my multiboot Windows computer (boots to Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7...and soon Windows 8) uses separate hard drives for each OS. When I no longer want to use a particular OS, I just pull that hard drive out of the computer and wipe it for re-use. No having to mess with "adjusting" a boot manager's setup/entries.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

When I test OSes, I use VMs. That is, by far, the easiest way.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thank you, smax and Brian. You both make good points.
Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users