PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How To Do Dual Monitors, One Pc, One Tv And One Flat Panel - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Do Dual Monitors, One Pc, One Tv And One Flat Panel HDMI and VGA, one graphics card

#1 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Turns out the Win7 Pro PC I just got from Dell Auction has both VGA and HDMI ports. It works fine with my LCD Toshiba TV 19L4200U, which is 1080i capable through the HDMI port. So I didn't need to buy the monitor for the PC; so now will have one extra. Best place to 'store' that extra monitor, is as a second screen for the PC.

What's great about the TV, is that I can just hit the Input Key on the remote, and switch between the monitor, video, cable.

One graphics card. Ergo the Query: can I simply hook up the Flat Panel to the VGA, and the monitor to the HDMI, and have both display? Will I short the computer if I try?

Machine is refurbished Dell Optiplex 780 on Win 7 Pro, 32 bit, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, Video RAM 8MB (very small). I've not configured it yet or even investigated all of what's on it. Says I have Intel Media Graphics Accelerator, will support Multiple Displays. I have that same Accelerator on my Acer Aspire One, and it works wonderfully. You can blank out one display, or have duplicate displays, rotate, etc. Not sure about split display, didn't check that yet.

Sorry for the question. Some things about computers I know well. Some things I know not at all. This is in the latter category. Thank you for your time!

PS: my experience at Dell Auction was quite pleasant. I really didn't expect to get this machine, had already gotten another, thinking my bid on this one would be overriden, given that it's Win7 Pro. But no one outbid me for only $225. And, they give you the reinstallation disc. HDD was only 80GB, maybe that's why. It's as if it were new. Came also with standard narrow keyboard and mouse, which I like but didn't need.

This post has been edited by brainout: 08 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

#2 User is offline   snorg 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

View Postbrainout, on 08 November 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

One graphics card. Ergo the Query: can I simply hook up the Flat Panel to the VGA, and the monitor to the HDMI, and have both display? Will I short the computer if I try?

Ya, that should work no problemo.
You can go clone, or separate (primary & secondary) then you have desktop on primary and play movie on the secondary, thats what I do.

This post has been edited by snorg: 09 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

Asus Vento Mini Tower Case....Asus M5A87 MOBO.....AMD Phenom II X6 1100T ( 3.3 OCed to 4.1GHz )....Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo....Three Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA III....Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA III....8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 2X4GB DDR3-1600 RAM....450W PSU....ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Direct Cu 1058MHZ 1GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI D-Sub HDCP PCI-E DX11 Video Card....Diamond Xtreme 5.1 sound card....LG 24X SATA DVD burner....27" LED Monitor & 26" CRT TV.....custom pressurized air cooling system.... WindowsXP Home SP3 32bit
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

Sure, you can use both simultaneously. Pushing Start+P is an easy way to change this in Windows 7 and later.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Turns out the Win7 Pro PC I just got from Dell Auction has both VGA and HDMI ports. It works fine with my LCD Toshiba TV 19L4200U, which is 1080i capable through the HDMI port. So I didn't need to buy the monitor for the PC; so now will have one extra. Best place to 'store' that extra monitor, is as a second screen for the PC.

What's great about the TV, is that I can just hit the Input Key on the remote, and switch between the monitor, video, cable.

Machine is refurbished Dell Optiplex 780 on Win 7 Pro, 32 bit, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo, Video RAM 8MB (very small). I've not configured it yet or even investigated all of what's on it. Says I have Intel Media Graphics Accelerator, will support Multiple Displays. I have that same Accelerator on my Acer Aspire One, and it works wonderfully. You can blank out one display, or have duplicate displays, rotate, etc. Not sure about split display, didn't check that yet.

Sorry for the question. Some things about computers I know well. Some things I know not at all. This is in the latter category. Thank you for your time!

PS: my experience at Dell Auction was quite pleasant. I really didn't expect to get this machine, had already gotten another, thinking my bid on this one would be overriden, given that it's Win7 Pro. But no one outbid me for only $225. And, they give you the reinstallation disc. HDD was only 80GB, maybe that's why. It's as if it were new. Came also with standard narrow keyboard and mouse, which I like but didn't need.

As others have said, it should work.

It will ultimately depend on the graphics system/card. Newer graphics cards (i.e. at least 3 years old or newer...but even some older ones) will typically allow at least two screens (some AMD/ATI cards will drive three screens). Older cards may only drive one screen, but you typically have to go back quite a ways in time for that to be the case.

My now 3/4 years Windows desktop that I built has been and still is hooked up to 2 monitors. Even many/most "low end" computers that have "integrated graphics" systems/cards will drive dual screens these days.

This post has been edited by smax013: 09 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I've never seen a video card with dual outputs that couldn't run 2 displays. Even a Geforce2 MX400 I had from 2002 could do that. (via VGA and S-Video)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postsnorg, on 09 November 2012 - 01:59 AM, said:

Ya, that should work no problemo.
You can go clone, or separate (primary & secondary) then you have desktop on primary and play movie on the secondary, thats what I do.

Thank you. Will get the HDMI cable over the weekend. The other monitor just arrived today.

#7 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 09 November 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

Sure, you can use both simultaneously. Pushing Start+P is an easy way to change this in Windows 7 and later.

Thanks, Brian. It's a Win7 pro, so will try after attaching.

#8 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

View Postsmax013, on 09 November 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

As others have said, it should work.

It will ultimately depend on the graphics system/card. Newer graphics cards (i.e. at least 3 years old or newer...but even some older ones) will typically allow at least two screens (some AMD/ATI cards will drive three screens). Older cards may only drive one screen, but you typically have to go back quite a ways in time for that to be the case.

My now 3/4 years Windows desktop that I built has been and still is hooked up to 2 monitors. Even many/most "low end" computers that have "integrated graphics" systems/cards will drive dual screens these days.

Thank you.The Intel Graphics Accelerator claims to run 2 monitors, and it's the exact same program as on my 2008 Aspire One, and I know that worked. This Intel program is a bit more sophisticated vs. my Acer, but shares the same basic menu scructure.

#9 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 09 November 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

I've never seen a video card with dual outputs that couldn't run 2 displays. Even a Geforce2 MX400 I had from 2002 could do that. (via VGA and S-Video)

Well, I don't know if both outputs are on one card. They are side by side, not stacked, and approx. 2" apart. But will see.Thank you, again!

This post has been edited by brainout: 09 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

#10 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

If they're both on the motherboard's port block (NOT on a PCI/PCIe card), that counts as one video card/controller.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 09 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Spoiler

#11 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 09 November 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

If they're both on the motherboard's port block (NOT on a PCI/PCIe card), that counts as one video card/controller.

What I thought 'HDMI', was actually DisplayPort on both Dell machines (780 and 760 Optiplex, Win7 and Vista, respectively). So I just ordered an active DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and will use that rather than HDMI, pending finding out how to get a DisplayPort-to-HDMI convertor. I couldn't find one at Amazon, but then I didn't look for long. Radio Shack is around the corner, maybe I'll go tomorrow.

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I figured DisplayPort was more likely on a business machine.
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 16 November 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

I figured DisplayPort was more likely on a business machine.

You're right. The Intel Media Graphics Driver offers both dual and extended desktops, and it works. Of course, now that it works, I can't figure out why I'd need it. Maybe there's a way to specify that program A be on one monitor and program B go on the other, but I've not yet figured out how to set that up. Else, I don't see much need for either style of display for my own uses. But at least, I have it.

#14 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

View Postbrainout, on 23 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

You're right. The Intel Media Graphics Driver offers both dual and extended desktops, and it works. Of course, now that it works, I can't figure out why I'd need it. Maybe there's a way to specify that program A be on one monitor and program B go on the other, but I've not yet figured out how to set that up. Else, I don't see much need for either style of display for my own uses. But at least, I have it.

Dual (more commonly call "mirrored") displays are typically mainly used for things like presentations...i.e. where you want it to show up on a laptop screen that you see but also on a larger "presentation" screen. Some people use it for media purposes with a TV (i.e. you mainly use the one screen on a monitor at your desktop, but then have a long cable to an HDTV for maybe watching movies or playing games on the TV).

Extended desktops is the more common scenario. It basically gives you more real estate to have more windows and/or programs open. If memory serves, most Windows programs will "remember" where you last opened a window for that program. Thus, when you open that program again, it will put the window in the same place. Or you just leave programs running with their windows in specific places. For example, I use three screens. Windows for certain program on specific screens (for example, I can have my email program's windows on one of the side screen so that it is easier to see when email messages come while I am working in a Word or Excel file, etc. And for certain types of programs, it is really useful...for example, it is very useful for CAD work stations to have at least two screens. You can have menus/toolbars on the secondary screen as well as windows with different views, while having the primary working view of the CADD model open on the primary screen.

For me, it is now tough to live with out at least a second screen...although I have adjusted when using my 11" MBA...but then Mac OS X has "virtual" screens (I have my email client open on one virtual screen, the browser on the second virtual screen, PDF reader on the third, and Word open on the fourth...then it is just a "swipe" on the track pad left or right between screens).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#15 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postsmax013, on 24 November 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

View Postbrainout, on 23 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

Dual (more commonly call "mirrored") displays are typically mainly used for things like presentations...i.e. where you want it to show up on a laptop screen that you see but also on a larger "presentation" screen. Some people use it for media purposes with a TV (i.e. you mainly use the one screen on a monitor at your desktop, but then have a long cable to an HDTV for maybe watching movies or playing games on the TV).

Extended desktops is the more common scenario. It basically gives you more real estate to have more windows and/or programs open. If memory serves, most Windows programs will "remember" where you last opened a window for that program. Thus, when you open that program again, it will put the window in the same place. Or you just leave programs running with their windows in specific places. For example, I use three screens. Windows for certain program on specific screens (for example, I can have my email program's windows on one of the side screen so that it is easier to see when email messages come while I am working in a Word or Excel file, etc. And for certain types of programs, it is really useful...for example, it is very useful for CAD work stations to have at least two screens. You can have menus/toolbars on the secondary screen as well as windows with different views, while having the primary working view of the CADD model open on the primary screen.

For me, it is now tough to live with out at least a second screen...although I have adjusted when using my 11" MBA...but then Mac OS X has "virtual" screens (I have my email client open on one virtual screen, the browser on the second virtual screen, PDF reader on the third, and Word open on the fourth...then it is just a "swipe" on the track pad left or right between screens).

Thank you for this post. I understand about moving a window to the other screen on Extended desktop, but I don't know how to get my icons and task bar to show. I'm talking about Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit. Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel doesn't specify any option for that. Nor can I find any option to duplicate the icons or taskbar in Win7's instructions. So do you have to keep moving back-and-forth to open new windows, since the Start menu and taskbar only show in the Primary Display? Thank you for your time!

This post has been edited by brainout: 24 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

#16 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I don't think you can - the start menu and taskbar are always on the primary one. I think 8 changes this, but then again, it's a piece of garbage for most other purposes IMO.

Programs tend to default to the monitor I had them on last, which is actually annoying at times - I don't always use my second monitor, but if I forget to disable it, I get things showing up on it (even if it's actually turned off), where I can't see them.
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

I don't think you can - the start menu and taskbar are always on the primary one. I think 8 changes this, but then again, it's a piece of garbage for most other purposes IMO.

Programs tend to default to the monitor I had them on last, which is actually annoying at times - I don't always use my second monitor, but if I forget to disable it, I get things showing up on it (even if it's actually turned off), where I can't see them.

You cannot do it "natively" in Windows 7 and Vista (or XP)...i.e. Windows won't do it by itself.

But, there are third party applications that provide such functionality. Here is one example (never used it myself, so don't know how well it works):

http://www.displayfusion.com/

Another possible solution would be to put the Taskbar on the right side of the left most (or left side of the right most) monitor...this will put the task bar basically in the "middle" of the two screens.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#18 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

View Postsmax013, on 24 November 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

You cannot do it "natively" in Windows 7 and Vista (or XP)...i.e. Windows won't do it by itself.

But, there are third party applications that provide such functionality. Here is one example (never used it myself, so don't know how well it works):

http://www.displayfusion.com/

Another possible solution would be to put the Taskbar on the right side of the left most (or left side of the right most) monitor...this will put the task bar basically in the "middle" of the two screens.

That's a good idea. Thank you!

#19 User is offline   outtatheblue 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 09 November 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but....
What is considered the start key? ( push start+p)
I have been trying to figure out a way hook a pc monitor & an hdmi tv to my laptop to run my karaoke screen on both simultaneously.
If anyone has ay thoughts on how to do this I would appreciate it.

#20 User is offline   outtatheblue 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

This post has been edited by outtatheblue: 03 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users