Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Camcorders Transferring from Hi8 to PC

#1 User is offline   jsjones5 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

I have a bunch of Hi8 videos, but no machine to play them and I need to transfer these to my PC. I used a Sony CCD-TR81. Could anyone suggest the most cost effective, efficient way to preserve my home movies. Thx.

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

There are a number of videocapture devices, both desktop pluggin cards and external USB for laptops or desktops. These are usually composite video (SD) and analog audio. You can then output video from the camcorder or from a th HI8 player to the capture inputs. The software will allow you to capture, dit and even burn to DVD/CD. Pinnacle and Haupage are a couple manufacturers. Some have options for S-video and is almost HD. I say almost as it is on the borderline for 720P and not at all usable for 1080P. I've tranposed 8MM, VHS and VHS-C to DVD using a Pinnacle USB external and it was simple to install the software.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

View Postjsjones5, on 13 November 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

I have a bunch of Hi8 videos, but no machine to play them and I need to transfer these to my PC. I used a Sony CCD-TR81. Could anyone suggest the most cost effective, efficient way to preserve my home movies. Thx.

When you say "no machine to play them", does this mean that camera is dead/gone too? Or are you saying you just don't have a dedicated machine hooked to your TV, etc? I am assuming the former.

If it is the former, then you might want look into video transfer services. More than likely you have at least one local (or semi-local, depending on where you live) such service. If not, I believe there are online services where you would ship them the tapes and they transfer the videos to a computer format and ship you back the tapes and the transferred videos on optical disc or maybe an external drive.

If it is the latter (or you are willing to try to go buy a device that will play the videos), then you could transfer them yourself. How you would go about doing it would depend on the device that you have to play them back. More than likely it will have some sort of video out port, which means what mjd420nova suggested would work.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users