• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Splitting Large Avi File In 2?

#1 User is offline   rob39 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi all
I have a 6.24gb AVI film file and need to split it into two seperate parts so to burn it to dvd. Anyone know of any freeware which could do this.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postrob39, on 18 November 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Hi all
I have a 6.24gb AVI film file and need to split it into two seperate parts so to burn it to dvd. Anyone know of any freeware which could do this.

Microsoft's Movie Maker can manage a simple editing job like this. If you're using XP or Vista, you already have it. If you're using Win7, you can download it as part of Microsoft's free Essentials package.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hi,

I use 7-Zip for splitting/combining files, in it video, but you can use DVD ± RW DL which can store about 8 GB of data. And, to be on the safe side, convert the video to MP(E)G as not all stationary players support AVI.

This post has been edited by Szczecinianin: 19 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostSzczecinianin, on 19 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Hi,

I use 7-Zip for splitting/combining files, in it video, but you can use DVD ± RW DL which can store about 8 GB of data. And, to be on the safe side, convert the video to MP(E)G as not all stationary players support AVI.

HI, Szczecinianin.

A video editor would do a better job than a file splitter, because you have control over when the split happens. If you're watching a video, that makes sense.

Also, I assume that Rob wants to burn a video DVD, which makes the original format somewhat irrelevant. Part of the burning process involves converting the video to MPEG2--the standard for video DVDs.

I agree with you about DL discs. Assuming his drive supports them, it would allow Rob to put everything on one disc.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   doroty74 

• PipPip

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

i use Cut Video Tool (maybe on cutvideo.org not sure), that is not free, but it's the only one i know that is format-independent since it does not encode,
other software i tried have this problem: when i cut at a point in the video that is not a so called "keyframe", the first seconds are usually blank and i can just hear the sound but no video. I am sure there are other tools but so far i am happy with that, i do not remember the link, but check if it works for you.
I think that to "author" a dvd you need a authoring tool to use it in the post-splitting, since you are supposed not only to match the dvd format but to give it a dvd structure as well.
nero, for instance and as far as i know, doesn't do that.
just my two cents.

This post has been edited by doroty74: 05 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

#6 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 20 November 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

View PostSzczecinianin, on 19 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Hi,

HI, Szczecinianin.

A video editor would do a better job than a file splitter, because you have control over when the split happens. If you're watching a video, that makes sense.

Also, I assume that Rob wants to burn a video DVD, which makes the original format somewhat irrelevant. Part of the burning process involves converting the video to MPEG2--the standard for video DVDs.

I agree with you about DL discs. Assuming his drive supports them, it would allow Rob to put everything on one disc.

Lincoln

Right, but that's more of editing than splitting. Of course, if the video means to him then he should use an editor to make sure everything is fine. Otherwise ordinary splitting will do as it allows optimal use of the disc space as, say, a 12 GB video, depending on volume settings, can be 8+4 GB which is one full DVD DL and half of the second one. And if you have to observe a file size limit it's the only way. 

#7 User is offline   doroty74 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

if the purpose is burning to one disc and it does not fit a disc, then there should be a free utility exactly for that,
sort of dvd or video shrink that is an old freeware but released with that exact purpose. in any case it works only on an mpeg file that you need to re-author after shrinking it, since it won't likely get the dvd structure, just file size reduced by reducing the quality.

#8 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

View Postdoroty74, on 10 December 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

if the purpose is burning to one disc and it does not fit a disc, then there should be a free utility exactly for that,
sort of dvd or video shrink that is an old freeware but released with that exact purpose. in any case it works only on an mpeg file that you need to re-author after shrinking it, since it won't likely get the dvd structure, just file size reduced by reducing the quality.

Which I guess is not what the guy wants

This post has been edited by Szczecinianin: 11 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

#9 User is offline   doroty74 

• PipPip

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostSzczecinianin, on 11 December 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

View Postdoroty74, on 10 December 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Which I guess is not what the guy wants

which depends on him. if it has to go to ONE disk there is no other choice than reducing the quality. you cannot make 20 apples fit a box for 15. i prefer not to guess.

This post has been edited by doroty74: 12 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

#10 User is offline   JulieOkulanis 

• PipPip

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

There are two ways:

1 split manually avi with virtualdub
2 encoding all avi and then shrinking it

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic