• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bradford Agent Monitoring

#1 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

University is recommending students to use this Bradford Agent to get network access.

I have learned I have bypassed the Network Access (by accident) with using alternate DNS servers. The ISP/DNS providers here are all terrible! Crappy DNS is the #1 issue with the school's network. So using EPB/Google's provides 90% more reliable connection. Can't help when the gateway blocks DHCP requests. (the second most annoying problem)

Plus, no one in the IT department will tell me what other stats they are collecting from Bradford other than Antivirus.
I've witnessed some bugs where Bradford will run fine and then freak out over "No antivirus installed" When the AV is still running and active.

I am kinda hesitant to install Bradford being that all of the administrative and experimental stuff I do on the computer could trigger some false positives in the lines of Virtual OSes, VPN testing, Remote access connections via Teamviewer, Remote desktop, logmein, etc. Not to mention, the massive file operations 5GB+ of pictures moving between local disks and the FTP connections to the backup/fileswap servers.

Basically, the other reason I ask about this, comes from after what happened in Pennsylvania with the spying incident with the software Absolute Manage (a competitor to Bradford)

Lastly, I'm going to Austria next year, so its pointless to install it with 3.5 weeks left in the semester.

At present, Bradford is just in the rollout phase, students aren't required to use it (yet) But in the back of my mind, it whispers Big Brother.

I kinda feel like a rebel, but at the same time, I have the privilege to use university resources responsibly, without a digital watchdog...

Anyone have any details about what Bradford can/can't do?
Even the experts started out as beginners

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm not familiar with those kinds of programs, but I certainly wouldn't install one for the same reasons you listed.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users