PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How-to Windows 8, $3 Kindle Book (you Can Read On A Pc) - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How-to Windows 8, $3 Kindle Book (you Can Read On A Pc) By Jack Dunning, who writes Win7 books

#1 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Click here for a preview of the Kindle $3 edition of a how-to book on installing and using Windows 8. This book differs from most, in that it is not afraid to criticize Win8, yet also offers frank tips and tricks. Essential if you are a Win7 fan, but think you might need Win8, too.

You can read any Kindle Book on any PC. Just download the 'Kindle for PC' app from Amazon. It's free. There's also a Kindle for MAC version, if I recall.

I installed the Kindle for PC on at least three of my computers. The only 'catch' with Kindle for PC, is that you don't want to download a Kindle book which you will later want to read on another PC. You can read any of them within the cloud, at Amazon. You also get 5 GB of cloud storage. Thousands of Kindle books are free or cost less than $10. Most classics are free or less than $5 (Shakespeare, Talmud, philosophers, classical history and literature, etc.) Moreover, you can RENT the heavier academic tomes for a month or more. There is even a lending library of sorts, but I didn't examine how it works.

Unlike Adobe, with Kindle you can highlight and annotate the book, change viewing sizes and colors on the fly, and a number of other things. Like Adobe, you can search, resize, print, copy, paste. What's best is that when you paste, Kindle adds the citation in a format fit for academic publishing, so you don't have to create the citation yourself.

For me, this beats buying physical books, except in rare instances, i.e., the physical book comes with a DVD, such as Linux for Dummies, or the transcription of Hebrew or Greek isn't in the Kindle edition, such as for Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. But it's still useful for searching, since the page numbers in a Kindle book are the same as for that edition in hard copy. Thus you save time.
Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users