Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vista Upgrade

#1 User is offline   292fan 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hi all, I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 laptop with 2G of memory. I am currently running VISTA on a Pentium dual core processor. My question is would it be wise and/or doable to upgrade to Windows 7? My setup currently works great and I am actually happy with VISTA. I only do light computing, internet, and music on my computer. I am concerned when Windows stops supporting VISTA. Any comments/advice are greatly appreciated.

292fan

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Windows 7 is better than Vista in nearly every way possible, is lighter, and works with existing drivers without a problem. If your machine can run Vista, it can run 7 at least as well. Go for it!

8, on the other hand, I don't recommend upgrading to. (The UI sucks, though it's even lighter than 7.)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hey 292fan !

Yes , Windows 7 is lighter than Vista BUT, if your current config works good for you, I would hold on to it
until you are ready to change your notebook.

Vista will be supported for a few more years so, I wouldn't be to worried about not getting the necessary updates
for a while yet.

Save your money and enjoy what you have now.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Hi, 292. And yes, I agree that you should upgrade to Windows 7. For quick instructions, see BestWay to Upgrade Vista to Windows 7. For more details, see How to Upgrade to Windows 7.

Now that Microsoft really, really wants you to use the way inferior Windows 8, buying a copy of Win7 will be more difficult. But it's still possible. This Google Shopping search should help.

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Here's one: http://www.newegg.co...m=N82E168321169 (Newegg, please stop putting Windows 8 at the top of the list when I typed 7. Really?)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

I see a lot of hate for Windows 8 - but I have to put it out there - TRY WINDOWS 8. Go to the local Best Buy, and take some time to try it out. Windows 8 is insanely fast compared to Windows Vista, and still a nice pick up from Windows 7. For $40, you get Windows 8 Pro, and all the goodies that go with it. If you can make it to the point that the Metro interface is just a replacement for your start menu, you will do fine with it.

I upgraded 1 device so far, just taking my time before I upgrade the rest. It really is worth giving serious consideration to.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#7 User is offline   Dellinsp531 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I recommand to upgrade to Windows 7.

Stay away from Windows 8. I have had many customers complaints and returns of products because of windows 8.

I have used and still semi using Windows 8 and had to install third part apps to get the Start Menu back. Plus now Windows should be called Window since it can not manage many Windows. It can only have 1 Window open unless do not use any of the apps. I have it install on separate partition that gets used very rarely. I use Windows 7 and Linux more.
"Windows 8 had the most vulnerabilities, at 156, but.... "
vulnerabilites rose in 2013, security firm finds

Windows 8 is a useless OS that Microsoft released that has many flaws and bugs. DO NOT USE IT. Use Windows XP or Windows 7.
Downgrading from Windows 8 to 7: What you need to know

German Agency Warns Windows 8 Pcs Vulnerable To Cyberthreats

Former Microsoft privacy adviser: 'I don't trust Microsoft now'

Other laptops that I had in the past:

(Why were my sign removed? Please let me know.)

#8 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

View Postwaldojim, on 21 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

I see a lot of hate for Windows 8 - but I have to put it out there - TRY WINDOWS 8. Go to the local Best Buy, and take some time to try it out. Windows 8 is insanely fast compared to Windows Vista, and still a nice pick up from Windows 7. For $40, you get Windows 8 Pro, and all the goodies that go with it. If you can make it to the point that the Metro interface is just a replacement for your start menu, you will do fine with it.

I upgraded 1 device so far, just taking my time before I upgrade the rest. It really is worth giving serious consideration to.

I too am running Windows 8 Pro on my primary desktop and I have to agree with waldojim. By the way, when you're in desktop mode you can open as many Windows as you like, just like with prior versions (an IT pro should know this). In fact, you never have to use the "Metro" UI if you don't want to. For example, I installed the Start8 demo, which returns the start menu to desktop mode, and one of the options is to boot directly to desktop and bypass Metro.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#9 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostDellinsp531, on 21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

I recommand to upgrade to Windows 7.

Stay away from Windows 8. I have had many customers complaints and returns of products because of windows 8.

I have used and still semi using Windows 8 and had to install third part apps to get the Start Menu back. Plus now Windows should be called Window since it can not manage many Windows. It can only have 1 Window open unless do not use any of the apps. I have it install on separate partition that gets used very rarely. I use Windows 7 and Linux more.

That is a lie. You can run as many applications as you want, and have them all cluttering up your screen if you feel the need to. I have posted MANY screenshots showing this already.

The least you can do is be HONEST when making a recommendation.

This post has been edited by waldojim: 21 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#10 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

The attached screen shot is sent from my Surface RT. It's in desktop mode. There are seven windows open.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot (2).png

This post has been edited by compnovo: 21 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#11 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

Click here for Windows 7 OS purchase options at Amazon.

292fan, how did you get past Vista disabling you from accessing your own My Documents?
I was all set to praise Vista over Win7.. until trying to actually COPY the 'My Documents' from my XP, to Vista. Most of the time on other things, it just annoyed me with that 'Continue' nonsense, recognizing me as Administrator (duh, I'm the only user and owner of the machine). But when just now trying to copy MY Documents, no matter WHAT I did for over an hour, no matter how many times I allowed sharing and 'Everyone' to have 'full control' over the My Documents and its subfolders.. I kept on being denied. It SEEMED to agree, then when I accessed, I got that INSANE.. 'Access Denied'. Exact same problem as in XP Home, which I can't stand.

Win7 is frustrating, but on that one topic, Win7 is heavenly. It only bugs you once, 'remembering' that you gave permission, thereafter.

Else, I would like Vista better -- well, except for Win7's Media Center and the cool way it will handle DVDs, a feature not available in Win8. Vista allowed me to port over my XP themes without a hitch, saving me a lot of customization hassle. Its interface pre-customization isn't bad, either. Kinda like it.

But all that PERMISSION garbage, if I can't get past it -- will kill Vista for me. Reluctantly. If I got that to work, it would be a tossup with Win7. The latter is cleaner, smoother, has better help (shock!), doesn't drive you mad on the permissions thingy, and most of the themes and settings port over. Of course if you'll upgrade to Win7, all your stuff will port over. Win7's flukey on restoring, but maybe my experience with it blowing up on me yesterday so that I had to clone back to the root drive, was an anomaly. Still testing that.

You know what: at dellauction.com they have a lot of Win7 Pro used machines for sale, for less than the cost of the OS. You can pick one up for $300 or less. Maybe try that, instead; they even have some luggable tablets, the XTR -- all with Win7 Pro on them, I noticed earlier today. Dell provides you with the reinstallation DISKS, too. And they answer email prontito.

So you don't have to part with Vista. My Vista Business machine is one of those Dells, 3.33 GHz (so I couldn't pass it up), 4 GB RAMM, 300 GB HDD, Core 2 Duo, Dell Optiplex 760 with dedicated video, graphics card of some kind, and Soundmaster.

This post has been edited by brainout: 22 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Willfully Insane Now Dangerous Or Wildly Stupid. :)

#12 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

Click here for user reviews of Win 8 upgrade. Interesting how many 5 stars versus 1 stars and in between. Very mixed.

#13 User is offline   brainout 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Two important links on Vista's INSANE locking you out of Documents and Settings: answer is there is no more D and S, it's been shortcutted now, and instead of just MOVING you to the right place, 'Access is Denied'!

Here's the story on Vista's insane locking out of Documents and Settings. I hope you realize, this DISABLES MANY PROGRAMS from functioning, since they make calls to those areas. Using the name as a mere shortcut won't fool all programs.

http://4sysops.com/a...tings-in-vista/

http://ask-leo.com/w...dows_vista.html

I lost all Thanksgiving over this, creating another Administrator account, changing all the Local Security settings, since I didn't know which of them would actually SHARE the folder as I kept on telling it to do; but oh no, 'Access is Denied'!. Did MS bother to EXPLAIN that's what happened? No. So do you think future iterations of MS junk will be any better? NO. Same garbage in the name of 'protection', just keeps getting worse and worse. Past is always prologue.

Only the nonthinking and bullies, like Windows 8 on a desktop. If the guy or gal likes Windows 8 on a computer (tablets excepted), then you know immediately the person cannot think, is a bully, and will make a lousy spouse or employee. Never date or hire a bully.

Why have I put up with MS for so long?

This post has been edited by brainout: 22 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

#14 User is offline   292fan 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

Thank you everybody for your comments and advice. They are very informative and well taken. As I stated before, my setup is working fine for what I do. I'm just concerned when MS stops supporting VISTA and whether I should upgrade before they drop. Believe it or not, VISTA is the only OS I know. I bought this computer(my first) new in '06 with VISTA installed and was never really exposed to XP, so I'm really comfortable with VISTA. Anyway, I think I will continue to use what I have and, at my leisure, look into how much it would cost to have someone install WIN 7.( I can fix airplanes but not computers) But I think I will ultimately upgrade with a new computer when the need arises. Again, thank you for your comments. You are enlightening me to the negatives of WIN 8 that I didn't now about.

Sincerely,
292fan

#15 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you can use Vista, you can use 7 - the interface is basically identical. The only difference is the taskbar, which can be changed to behave like Vista's as well.

Also, it's not hard to install an OS. I can help you with that if you like.
Spoiler

#16 User is offline   doslover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

The only time I upgrade an OS is when I'm having serious problems with it. In my case I had Vista preloaded on my laptop and it was not working at all, so I upgraded to Win 7 which works great. The only other time I had to do this was with Win 95 that I upgraded to Win 98SE. OTOH, I have an 8 year old desktop that is running XP Home and has always worked great so I'll keep it until the hardware dies.

#17 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Post292fan, on 23 November 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Thank you everybody for your comments and advice. They are very informative and well taken. As I stated before, my setup is working fine for what I do. I'm just concerned when MS stops supporting VISTA and whether I should upgrade before they drop. Believe it or not, VISTA is the only OS I know. I bought this computer(my first) new in '06 with VISTA installed and was never really exposed to XP, so I'm really comfortable with VISTA. Anyway, I think I will continue to use what I have and, at my leisure, look into how much it would cost to have someone install WIN 7.( I can fix airplanes but not computers) But I think I will ultimately upgrade with a new computer when the need arises. Again, thank you for your comments. You are enlightening me to the negatives of WIN 8 that I didn't now about.

Sincerely,
292fan

Vista will be in "extended" support until 2017. This basically means Microsoft will supply security fixes only. There will be no new features by way of Service Packs.

So, since 2017 is 4 years away and there is a better than average chance that you will upgrade to a new computer during that time, if Vista works for you, then I don't see a reason to upgrade to Windows 7. If it ain't broke, then why fix it?
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users