• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recommended Os For Novice

#41 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 December 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

As far as I can tell, metro only makes things harder, unless you actually want to use your computer as a tablet. (yep, I can remember all 0 of the times I've wanted to do that) A novice isn't likely to be concerned with benchmarks either. (or even know what those are)

You keep glossing over that for a "novice" the concept of "harder" is kind of irrelevant if they have no experience older versions of Windows. So, what might be a "pain" for you, they may never notice.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#42 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Still, I don't see how things like two task switchers (taskbar and the one on the left) that do completely different things, having some programs use one kind of UI while others use another (desktop vs metro), etc can make sense in any situation. (with the exception of a tablet that occosionally runs legacy desktop apps (it almost seems like Windows 8 was designed primarily with that in mind, despite it not having much market share).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#43 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 23 December 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

Still, I don't see how things like two task switchers (taskbar and the one on the left) that do completely different things, having some programs use one kind of UI while others use another (desktop vs metro), etc can make sense in any situation. (with the exception of a tablet that occosionally runs legacy desktop apps (it almost seems like Windows 8 was designed primarily with that in mind, despite it not having much market share).

And what is the key part of what you said? How about "I"? Are you a "novice"?

Again, the point is that someone who has never really used any other version of Windows likely will never really notice or be bothered by the things that bother you. But, then it seems every thread about Windows 8 becomes how YOU don't like Windows 8 even if Windows 8 might just happen to work just fine for other people. Not every one works or thinks like you do, so amazingly enough some people might actually be fine with Windows 8.

I am sure you might cite one of the recent articles about how Windows 8 is doing worse that Windows Vista and that proves your point...but then again you would be ignoring the original context of THIS specific thread. This is not a thread about how well Windows 8 is doing or how most people don't like it or even how YOU don't like it. It is about how appropriate it might be for one specific individual. And this particular case, there is a high likelihood that such a "novice" user might have no problems with Windows 8 since they may have never used any other version of Windows.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#44 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

@ the OP...

Just go ahead and learn Win8. Being "nice" to a novice doesn't help them. They need to learn their PC using the latest available tech.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users