• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hard Drive Problem?

#1 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Every so often when I run my system utility program (System Mechanic Professional) it flags my system drive as having errors and schedules a scan for the next reboot. I do an immediate reboot (it is my C:\ drive after all) and at the end of it all it does its Journal check (its an NTFS SATA drive), at the end of which it reports as follows: "The second NTFS MFT Boot sector is unwriteable". What does this mean, and, is it a problem? I replaced the system drive once because of this identical error message and don't want to repeat this if it isn't a "real" problem, but is only a general warning that has no effect on performance and reliability. If it does effect performance and reliability, what causes it and what do I do about it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thats the program telling you it can't write to that partition. Most often this is just a smal percentage of the full drive and is used for backup and hides a number of important files for the backup program and is write protected by that program. Yes, this is an expected response by the checkup program.

This post has been edited by mjd420nova: 01 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

#3 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 01 December 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

Thats the program telling you it can't write to that partition. Yes, this is an expected response....

Thank you for your reply. The drives this has shown up on were used for the OS only and therefore had a single partition (the C:\ drive), all data files and swap files are kept on separate hard drives (also single partition drives). Presumably I'm not understanding your response correctly. And while it may be an expected response for the chkdsk program, because it involves the MBR I presume it goes to the core of the drive's functioning, which is why I replaced the system drive the first time this happened. Now the replacement drive is saying the same thing. So is this a serious problem or not (drive-threatening), and regardless, what does this error message mean?

Thanks in advance.
BearPup

#4 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

I need to correct myself. The specific message I'm getting comes on after the usn journal is verified. A separate sentence then states: "The NTFS Boot Sector is unwritable.".

My apologies if I've caused any confusion.

#5 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Ahem, err, that should be (last time, promise): "The second NTFS Boot Sector is unwriteable".

#6 User is offline   BearPup 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

The true cause of the error messages became apparent a couple of days after my last posting - my motherboard was on the fritz, and completely burned out (along with the CPU and video card) one day after it started 'acting up'. The major symptom: the computer wouldn't boot up anymore. A week and almost $400 later and I'm back in business; and the drives which had been showing system errors now report that everything is just fine - no more system errors! I'm not sure what the "moral" of the story is, but I do know that if I ever get error messages again that seem unexplained, my first stop is going to be a computer technician!

#7 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I took your discription as you stated, the second partition. The MOBO failure can really lead you to some misdirected troubleshooting. I had some strange failures on one machine, different each day and intermittent. Turned out to be the IDE controller on the MOBO. After multiple system reloads and lockups in the middle for formatting.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users