• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which Is The Best Tablet?

#1 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hello All,
I am going to buy my wife an android tablet in the next 2 weeks. Im tired of her using my laptop and messing with my settings. lol.. I need your expert recommendations. I respect the opinions you guys have and need the help because I dont want a tablet that will be outdated in 6 months. She loves the android system and besides her normal app she will mainly be web browsing and probably let the kids play some games on in. She will store some music and photos on it but that is about all. She will stream music and use it mainly as a toy. She wont do any serious work on it besides typing out e-mails and her shopping which is her thing. She does want it to be fast during web browsing. I dont have a price limit. Any help is appreciated guys and gals..
Thanks in advance...
Oh yeah, which browser is the best for a tablet?

#2 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

You are likely to get all sorts of different feedback on this. I happen to like Lenovo products in general. While I don't like my wifes tablet, it isn't because the tablet itself has issues (especially now with jelly bean), but rather that 10" tablets don't do well for reading. Don't let anyone fool you, if extensive reading is on the list of things she will be doing then DON'T go for a 10" tablet. If reading is not an issue, then the Asus transformer, Samsung tablets, and Lenovo tablets are what I would recommend. Also, if you are not dead set against MS, I would suggest taking a look at the Surface.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#3 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

For Android my preferences would be (in this order) the ASUS Transformer and the Kindle 8.9" HD. I've never done any serious research on Lenovos so they may be a better choice.

I agree with waldojim about 10" tablets and reading. I've got the Surface RT (and I think it's terrific) but it's too heavy for extended, one-handed reading. I had one of the original 7" Kindle Fires and it was the perfect size for a reader but a bit small for web surfing, etc. That's why I recommended the 8.9" Kindle, I think it is a good compromise.

Disclaimer: I haven't had any hands-on experience with the Transformer or the 8.9" Kindle.

This post has been edited by compnovo: 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Personally, I would buy a Nexus 7 - I think the size is about right for an oversized-phone tablet, the size makes it nice and portable, and you'll have updates for a while. I've played with it hands-on, and think it's pretty nice. I haven't tried the Nexus 10, so I can't comment on that.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 03 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

After having used the iPads at school for reading (9.7"), I can definitely say that 10" is NOT a good form factor for that. I think they're just too heavy, considering that you need a stand for them if you want to use them for a decent length of time without tiring your arm. From my experience using the Nexus 7 in a store, I don't think that is as susceptible to the same problems. (it's a lot closer to being a really large phone)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

thanks for all the hlep guys. much appreciated!

#7 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I also need an seperate e-reader for school. I need to be able to transfer pdf files from my laptop easily and read them on it. It doesnt need to be anything fancy. Any suggestions?

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Personally, I would buy a 7" tablet (like the Nexus 7) and use it for both purposes. That said, my dad has a Kindle Touch and has been happy with it.
Spoiler

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 05 December 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Personally, I would buy a 7" tablet (like the Nexus 7) and use it for both purposes. That said, my dad has a Kindle Touch and has been happy with it.

While "traditional" Kindles (i.e. NOT Android based Kindles such as the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD) can deal with PDF files, they are not an optimal solution for dealing with PDF files. You are much better off using a tablet, whether an Android tablet or iPad or even a Windows 8 tablet. This will allow you to use an actual PDF app, which will work much better for reading PDFs than a "traditional" Kindle.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

View Postwaldojim, on 03 December 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

While I don't like my wifes tablet, it isn't because the tablet itself has issues (especially now with jelly bean), but rather that 10" tablets don't do well for reading. Don't let anyone fool you, if extensive reading is on the list of things she will be doing then DON'T go for a 10" tablet.

View Postcompnovo, on 03 December 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I agree with waldojim about 10" tablets and reading. I've got the Surface RT (and I think it's terrific) but it's too heavy for extended, one-handed reading. I had one of the original 7" Kindle Fires and it was the perfect size for a reader but a bit small for web surfing, etc. That's why I recommended the 8.9" Kindle, I think it is a good compromise.

View PostLiveBrianD, on 04 December 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

After having used the iPads at school for reading (9.7"), I can definitely say that 10" is NOT a good form factor for that. I think they're just too heavy, considering that you need a stand for them if you want to use them for a decent length of time without tiring your arm. From my experience using the Nexus 7 in a store, I don't think that is as susceptible to the same problems. (it's a lot closer to being a really large phone)

I would say that this will somewhat depend on how often you read hardcover books. If you are used to reading hardcover books, then you might find a 10" tablet to not be too bad for reading.

I have my fair share of hardcover books...there are some series where I was just not patient enough to wait for softcover. :) So, even though the vast majority of my books are softcover, I have ample experience reading hard cover books. As a result, I find that reading a book on my iPad is not really uncomfortable FOR ME. I will agree, however, that reading a book on my "traditional style" Kindle is more comfortable in general since it is so much more lighter. It is kind of like the difference of reading a paperback book vs. a hard cover book.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#11 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

View Postsmax013, on 07 December 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

I would say that this will somewhat depend on how often you read hardcover books. If you are used to reading hardcover books, then you might find a 10" tablet to not be too bad for reading.

I have my fair share of hardcover books...there are some series where I was just not patient enough to wait for softcover. :) So, even though the vast majority of my books are softcover, I have ample experience reading hard cover books. As a result, I find that reading a book on my iPad is not really uncomfortable FOR ME. I will agree, however, that reading a book on my "traditional style" Kindle is more comfortable in general since it is so much more lighter. It is kind of like the difference of reading a paperback book vs. a hard cover book.

When I read a hardcover book though, I normally find myself propping it up on something as well. Or just set it on a table. But really, books in general are easier to hold on to, with tablets you have to be careful how you hold it, which makes it that much more awkward. That is just my experience though, with a tablet that is almost entirely touch sensitive on the front of the device....
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Books also tend to be lighter than tablets in some cases. (10" ones anyway)
Spoiler

#13 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

View Postsmax013, on 07 December 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 05 December 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

While "traditional" Kindles (i.e. NOT Android based Kindles such as the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD) can deal with PDF files, they are not an optimal solution for dealing with PDF files. You are much better off using a tablet, whether an Android tablet or iPad or even a Windows 8 tablet. This will allow you to use an actual PDF app, which will work much better for reading PDFs than a "traditional" Kindle.

I was just reading up on this. Can you reccomend me a good quality, "cheap" tablet for this. Reading pdf articles for school is pretty much all I will do with it. I wont be using the one I buy for my wife because she will need it a lot and I will be carrying mine with me. I dont need the fastest most up to date tablet for myself.

#14 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

What's your budget exactly?
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

for my wifes tablet I dont have a budget. For the cheaper tablet I want for myself I would say about $100-$200. I would actually prefer to spend as little as possible. I dont even care if it is used. Just something I can read pdf articles on and that I can view them on without problems.

#16 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

View Postninthchamber, on 07 December 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

I was just reading up on this. Can you reccomend me a good quality, "cheap" tablet for this. Reading pdf articles for school is pretty much all I will do with it. I wont be using the one I buy for my wife because she will need it a lot and I will be carrying mine with me. I dont need the fastest most up to date tablet for myself.

Personally, I would likely not suggest a "no name" or "little know" name brand tablet that might be $100 or so, but if you will ONLY being reading PDFs, then such a tablet likely would work. Such tablets will tend to have lower powered processors and maybe older versions of Android. But, if you are only reading PDFs, then that may not be an issue.

I would likely at a minimum suggest either the Kindle Fire or the Kindle Fire HD. Both will keep you below $200.

Now, both of those are 7" tablets. So, while I personally don't have issues with reading eBooks on a larger tablet (i.e. 10" or so), I fully realize that I am the exception rather than the rule and thus generally it will be easier to read an eBook on a 7" tablet. HOWEVER, PDFs are a bit more complex than eBooks. eBooks generally have text that "flows" from page to page...thus you can adjust the size of the text. PDFs are "static" pages...you cannot adjust the size of the text in a PDF file (at least to my knowledge). Thus, when you view a PDF page "full size" on a 7" tablet, the text maybe too small to read. Of course, you can use a "zoom" function in order to read the PDF or maybe read in landscape mode (i.e. get a wider view of the file), but that can make it more difficult to read (but certainly do able). I have found that I can easily read PDF files in "full size" mode on my iPad (with a 10" screen). So, you might want to factor this into the decision as to whether or not you think a 7" tablet will work. Thus, you may want to seriously consider the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for your PDF reading. Of course, this will mean going to at least $300 (you might be able to get it for a little less if you wait until after Christmas).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#17 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'd be a bit wary of the quality of such cheap tablets (ignoring the performance aspect). For instance, the tablet might be cheaply built, have a battery that wears out quickly, etc.

Also, this is just my opinion, but I also played with the fire (forget which version), and didn't like the heavily-customized UI one bit. (and the performance wasn't great)
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

View Postsmax013, on 08 December 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

View Postninthchamber, on 07 December 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

Personally, I would likely not suggest a "no name" or "little know" name brand tablet that might be $100 or so, but if you will ONLY being reading PDFs, then such a tablet likely would work. Such tablets will tend to have lower powered processors and maybe older versions of Android. But, if you are only reading PDFs, then that may not be an issue.

I would likely at a minimum suggest either the Kindle Fire or the Kindle Fire HD. Both will keep you below $200.

Should have also included the Nexus 7 to that list as it will also keep you below $200 (with the base version).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#19 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 08 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I'd be a bit wary of the quality of such cheap tablets (ignoring the performance aspect). For instance, the tablet might be cheaply built, have a battery that wears out quickly, etc.

As I said, I would not suggest a "no name" tablet for a number of reasons (including possible quality issues), but that does not mean that one such tablet might not fit the OP's needs. If it is purely for reading PDFs and cost is the overall driving factor, then a low cost, "no name" tablet might be a viable solution for the original poster. Personally, I would never touch such a tablet, but then I would be using it for more than reading PDFs and rarely let cost be the overall driving factor for my purchase decisions (not that I ignore cost).

Also, this is just my opinion, but I also played with the fire (forget which version), and didn't like the heavily-customized UI one bit. (and the performance wasn't great)

If the original poster is ONLY using it for reading PDF files, then the general tablet UI likely will not matter much as the OP will likely be in the PDF app the vast majority of the time.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#20 User is offline   ninthchamber 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

ok i bought the nexus 10 32 gb for my wife and a lenova used lenovo ideatab a2107 for myself. thanks for all the help guys!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users