Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help Please! Computer Slow

#1 User is offline   nola27 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

I bought this laptop around October 10th and it was working fine up until last week. It was then that it started to run really slow and even crashed about 2-3 times. Today I had to kill a program that was not responding and noticed that the task manager stated that my memory is at 98%. I am wondering if this could be the cause. I ran the disk clean up program, defrag, and uninstalled a few programs that I installed. Those did not do very much to help. My McAfee did not detect any threats. Any help in pinpointing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

My Computer's Specs:

Attached Image: PC Info.PNG

SS of task manager as of about 5 minutes ago in case it helps.

Attached Image: Task Manager Performance.PNG

Attached Image: Task Manager Processes.PNG

P.S.- Sorry about posting pics as attachments, cannot figure out how to post them full size.

#2 User is offline   zemanjosef 

• Pip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

Here is a good article "50 Tools to Speed Up Your PC" http://www.pcworld.c...tion_tools.html
I hope at least one of the items you will approach

#3 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

If you show processes from all users and sort by memory usage, what's hogging it all?

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 10 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#4 User is offline   nola27 

• Pip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

View Postzemanjosef, on 10 December 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Here is a good article "50 Tools to Speed Up Your PC" http://www.pcworld.c...tion_tools.html
I hope at least one of the items you will approach

I got three of them. ccleaner, avg anti-virus and spybot. It helped a bit. I am now at 48% instead of 98%. Unfortunately, it doesn't stay low for long. After about an hour, I am back to 98%. I think it has to do with ie7. It uses a huge chunk of memory for some reason.

View PostLiveBrianD, on 10 December 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

If you show processes from all users and sort by memory usage, what's hogging it all?

If I show processes from all users, the memory hog is iexplorer.exe(ie7). It was shown at using 223,632K, that is from only 2 users. It does not start off that large, but after about an hour it is back to being huge again. If I restart my computer or log off and then log on again, it gets smaller. However that is not how it should be. Out of 12 computers, this is the only time I am having this problem. I am thinking that I will have to get rid of ie7 and go back to using my usual browser.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

That's not all that much RAM for a web browser. If there's nothing else showing, you're probably infected. Try running Malwarebytes-Antimalware in safe mode with networking.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Try Brian's suggestion and run www.malwarebytes.org . If you are running Vista or Windows 7 then you should be running IE9.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#7 User is offline   Naman_dhingra 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:16 AM

I think brain suggestion would be the best to go for..
by the way can you let us know the configuration of your laptop.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users