Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ethernet Question?

#1 User is offline   sasdas 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this and such, but ill give it a shot. So I recently bought a hdmi over Ethernet device, and it works just as advertised and im using it to connect my computer to the tv in the living room, its an apartment with 3 rooms, and a living room, my computer is in one room, and the Ethernet cable used to connect the hdmi over Ethernet adapters is the one my computer uses, which goes through the wall to the room next door where the modem/router is, from there I disconnect the Ethernet cable since the adapter does not work like that and connect the Ethernet cable to another cable that goes through another wall to the living room and finally to where the tv iis. the problem im having though is that if I use the hdmi over ethernet I sacrifice the computers connection to the modem/router since I need to use that ethernet cable as there is no other ethernet cable.

Any advice on how would I be able to have both working at the same time, internet connection and hdmi connection to the tv.
I tried using a wifi adapter but their is a noticeable drop in Internet speed when connected that way.
Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Postsasdas, on 10 December 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'm not entirely sure how to phrase this and such, but ill give it a shot. So I recently bought a hdmi over Ethernet device, and it works just as advertised and im using it to connect my computer to the tv in the living room, its an apartment with 3 rooms, and a living room, my computer is in one room, and the Ethernet cable used to connect the hdmi over Ethernet adapters is the one my computer uses, which goes through the wall to the room next door where the modem/router is, from there I disconnect the Ethernet cable since the adapter does not work like that and connect the Ethernet cable to another cable that goes through another wall to the living room and finally to where the tv iis. the problem im having though is that if I use the hdmi over ethernet I sacrifice the computers connection to the modem/router since I need to use that ethernet cable as there is no other ethernet cable.

Any advice on how would I be able to have both working at the same time, internet connection and hdmi connection to the tv.
I tried using a wifi adapter but their is a noticeable drop in Internet speed when connected that way.
Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

You could try a set of PowerLine adapters for the Internet connection is one option and then continue to use ethernet cable for the HDMI over ethernet device to the TV. You might be able to use the PowerLine system for the HDMI device instead and keep using the ethernet cable for the Internet connection, but I don't know for sure.

The other option is as you have tried...use a WiFi adapter for the Internet connection. Unless you are using a really old WiFi protocol (i.e. 802.11b), have interference, or have a REALLY fast Internet connection, a WiFi connection should give the same speed as an ethernet connection as most residential broadband connections will generally not "saturate" a WiFi connection using at least 802.11g. So, I am not sure why WiFi would be noticeably slower than ethernet in your case.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   sasdas 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

is there any limitations in using a powerline adpater?

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

WiFi is definitely slower, and a bit less reliable. As you said though, it shouldn't impact web browsing.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 10 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postsasdas, on 10 December 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

is there any limitations in using a powerline adpater?

I have never used them myself, but others on the forums have. They will be better able to answer that question. From what I understand, they should work fine for your situation.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   sasdas 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I just saw this on amazon http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_ce
States how it can sort of split ethernet connections while allowing two devices to be used at the same time or something like that.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 10 December 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

WiFi is definitely slower, and a bit less reliable. As you said though, it shouldn't impact web browsing.

It is not just web browsing...it will all Internet functions. While WiFi is not as fast as ethernet, it is still usually fast enough to fully saturate a typical residential Internet connection.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   sasdas 

• PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

View Postsmax013, on 10 December 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

It is not just web browsing...it will all Internet functions. While WiFi is not as fast as ethernet, it is still usually fast enough to fully saturate a typical residential Internet connection.

Can the location of the wireless router have an impact on the connection, I know that it sends a wireless g signal, and can it also be that I play online video games, mmos like Guild Wars 2 and shooters like Call of Duty. Thats where I truly noticed a difference in speed.

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

View Postsasdas, on 10 December 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 10 December 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Can the location of the wireless router have an impact on the connection, I know that it sends a wireless g signal, and can it also be that I play online video games, mmos like Guild Wars 2 and shooters like Call of Duty. Thats where I truly noticed a difference in speed.

Yes, the location of the wireless router can have an impact.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   sasdas 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Ok, so I bought this powerline adapter http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B006OOKT3Y
Now, it has this feature called pick a plug
Pick-a-Plug LED — Automatically tests the connection between the two adapters and indicate the performance for best positioning in the house
it does this by helping you pick the electrical outlet with the strongest link rate, which you can tell by the color on the LED from red to amber then green
So where I have it connected it was Red, but then it turned to Amber, I dont really understand what is link rate, can you explain it?

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postsasdas, on 11 December 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Ok, so I bought this powerline adapter http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B006OOKT3Y
Now, it has this feature called pick a plug
Pick-a-Plug LED — Automatically tests the connection between the two adapters and indicate the performance for best positioning in the house
it does this by helping you pick the electrical outlet with the strongest link rate, which you can tell by the color on the LED from red to amber then green
So where I have it connected it was Red, but then it turned to Amber, I dont really understand what is link rate, can you explain it?

I am assuming that when they say "link rate" they are talking about the network "speed" between the two devices. I don't know for sure that is what they mean without looking into it further, but I would say it is likely.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users