PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Random Shut Down To Blue Screens - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Random Shut Down To Blue Screens Hardware problem/software problem?

#1 User is offline   Elegi0nic 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

've had to deal with this problem ever since I got this rig about 2 years ago and I've tried fixing it myself, but nothing has gotten rid of the problem. I thought it was the power supply causing the problems, but I replaced the generic PSU my computer came with and replaced it with a 700w Corsair Gaming series, it reduced the frequency of the shut downs, but I still had the same problem. It will happen at random times either when I'm browsing the internet, looking at youtube videos, or gaming. I've monitored my CPU and graphics card temperatures and both are normal, my CPU never gets above 41ºC and my graphics card never goes above 60 ºC. I've cleaned my computer and made sure airflow is good, and I have liquid cooling for my CPU so I don't think overheating is an issue. So what else could it possibly be? I've made sure all my drivers are up to date and I flashed the lastest BIOS for my motherboard? So maybe the RAM? Also, whenever it shuts down and I have my headset on, it makes a long tone right whenever it shuts down, and doesn't stop till I press the reboot on my computer.

I tried looking through my event logs and whenever shut down/reboot happens all it says is that
"System shutdown was unexpected"

Also:
During shutdowns, the moment right before it takes me to the blue recovery screen the entire monitor goes black and then has these series of white/grey lines that form blockish looking figures that take up the screen for a brief moment, then shuts down to the blue screen.

Here is a picture of what the blue screen displays:
Posted Image

Here are my PC specs:

Case- NZXT Guardian
Motherboard- Asus M4A785-M
RAM- Corsair XMS DDR2 (2gb) x 2
CPU- AMD II X4 630 (2.8 GHz)
GPU- ATI Radeon Visiontek HD 5670
PSU- Corsair Gaming Series 700w
HDD- 1TB Hitachi

If you need any more information that would help you narrow down the problem let me know and thanks for taking the time to look at this!

P.S
I was also planning on upgrading my graphics card once I get back home for Christmas break to this card, just in case the problem was with the card I have now. Will me having an older CPU greatly affect the performance of this card? Is this upgrade worth it?
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB

This post has been edited by Elegi0nic: 12 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

#2 User is offline   Naman_dhingra 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

It's a blue dump error which means that there is some problem in your PC OS. Try running the Windows recovery option and if that also don't work, yo have to reinstall the OS into it.

#3 User is offline   Naman_dhingra 

• PipPip

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:35 AM

Can you give us any update what happened to your system??
Dis you re installed the windows or not?

#4 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostElegi0nic, on 12 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

've had to deal with this problem ever since I got this rig about 2 years ago and I've tried fixing it myself, but nothing has gotten rid of the problem. I thought it was the power supply causing the problems, but I replaced the generic PSU my computer came with and replaced it with a 700w Corsair Gaming series, it reduced the frequency of the shut downs, but I still had the same problem. It will happen at random times either when I'm browsing the internet, looking at youtube videos, or gaming. I've monitored my CPU and graphics card temperatures and both are normal, my CPU never gets above 41ºC and my graphics card never goes above 60 ºC. I've cleaned my computer and made sure airflow is good, and I have liquid cooling for my CPU so I don't think overheating is an issue. So what else could it possibly be? I've made sure all my drivers are up to date and I flashed the lastest BIOS for my motherboard? So maybe the RAM? Also, whenever it shuts down and I have my headset on, it makes a long tone right whenever it shuts down, and doesn't stop till I press the reboot on my computer.

I tried looking through my event logs and whenever shut down/reboot happens all it says is that
"System shutdown was unexpected"

Also:
During shutdowns, the moment right before it takes me to the blue recovery screen the entire monitor goes black and then has these series of white/grey lines that form blockish looking figures that take up the screen for a brief moment, then shuts down to the blue screen.

Here is a picture of what the blue screen displays:
Posted Image

Here are my PC specs:

Case- NZXT Guardian
Motherboard- Asus M4A785-M
RAM- Corsair XMS DDR2 (2gb) x 2
CPU- AMD II X4 630 (2.8 GHz)
GPU- ATI Radeon Visiontek HD 5670
PSU- Corsair Gaming Series 700w
HDD- 1TB Hitachi

If you need any more information that would help you narrow down the problem let me know and thanks for taking the time to look at this!

P.S
I was also planning on upgrading my graphics card once I get back home for Christmas break to this card, just in case the problem was with the card I have now. Will me having an older CPU greatly affect the performance of this card? Is this upgrade worth it?
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB

I have seen that exact error message under 2 circumstances.
1. The video card OR drivers are malfunctioning. Try updating the drivers, and running the card through an extended stress test.
2. Overclocking has caused instability. If you are not overclocking, consider number 1 to be your problem. The X4 should do fine for most games, on most mid-tier video cards. If you have a friend with an Nvidia card handy, test on one of those. for a few hours, see if the problem continues.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users