• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Activate Windows Defender In Windows 8

#21 User is offline   bevaau 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

(Sorry - I'm still learning to use the trackpad too!)
Thank you - that worked great. I have used Windows Security Essentials for some time now (with Vista) and had NO desire to get into Norton's clutches.

#22 User is offline   tcmarkert 

• Pip

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Windows defender screen doesn't appear when trying to activate Defender a window appears with msg that windows defender is turned off It's as if the software isn't there?? what doe i do. I'm using a trial version of Kapersky that will expire soon

#23 User is offline   kevvy 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Windows defender screen doesn't appear when trying to activate Defender a window appears with msg that windows defender is turned off It's as if the software isn't there?? what doe i do. I'm using a trial version of Kapersky that will expire soon

I have exactly the same problem.
Thanks for any help.
Kevvy.

#24 User is offline   Joni46231 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

biginc said
When I try to activate Windows Defender, I get a box saying "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status. My computer came with McAfee trial installed. Any ideas? or if I uninstall McAfee, will that solve my problem? That will probably solve the problem. It is considered bad practice to have two AVs running at the same time (they tend to fight with each other).

That does NOT solve the problem, I deactivated McAfee, but before and after doing that I get the same pop up that states that Windows Defender has been turned off, how can I turn it on again?

#25 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Can you people read?

• simply uninstall the malware be it whatever so called antivirus
  • simply enable Microsoft Defender, built-in Windows 8

That's it. That's all.

View PostWinTard, on 31 December 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

View Postbevaau, on 31 December 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

I have a new computer with Windows 8 that came loaded with a heap of Norton 'stuff'. I cannot turn on Windows Defender - Control Panel - Security - offers no mention of it (that I can see) and Search - Apps - Windows Defender - only says 'Windows Defender is turned off' and offers no way to access it to 'turn it on'.
Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, Norton is the virus. Or is malware at the very least, since they purposely make it so hard to uninstall. But it is possible.

• First thing to do is to Google uninstall norton:
    Posted Image
  • REBOOT!
  • Verify Norton is gone, with all the accompanying crapware. It usually leaves some Symantec/Norton stuff like auto-updaters etc... If not entirely clean from this bloatware, go back to step 1 and 2, until finally disinfected clean.
  • REBOOT again! Why not it only takes six to twelve seconds or so on a clean Windows 8 system. Even a low-end one.
  • Go into Start Menu (lower left corner) and type Windows Defender (as administrator meaning login with your admin account, not the regular non-admin one)
  • Click onto the filtered search results (Windows Defender application)
  • Navigate to {settings}
  • Checkmark Turn on real-time protection (recommended) and save changes then you're done!
    Posted Image
The most difficult part will be to uninstall the bloat-crap-malware from Norton.

Good luck, and Happy New Year everybody!

PS: a properly configured Windows 8 system will cold boot in six to twelve seconds, from initial power-on of the system. Anything above that mark is caused by bloat-crap-ware. Unfortunately.

~~~~~~~~~~
A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match.
~ Some computer science & electrical engineering literate

The words of truth are always paradoxical.
~ Lao Tzu, Philosopher of Ancient China around ~ 600 BCE

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.
~ A practical theorist

The only constant is change.
~ Confucius, Chinese Thinker and Social Philosopher 551 BC ~ 479 BC

The result is:

View Postbevaau, on 01 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

(Sorry - I'm still learning to use the trackpad too!)
Thank you - that worked great. I have used Windows Security Essentials for some time now (with Vista) and had NO desire to get into Norton's clutches.

What is so complicated about that?

Now specifically, uninstall whatever malware antivirus you don't like. And then enable Windows Defender.

RTFM (an euphemism for Read The Fine Material) anybody?

~~~~~~~~~~
Stupid is as stupid does.
~ Forrest Gump

Ignorance is trainable – Stupidity is terminal.
~ Jerry Fleming

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
~ Confucius

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.
~ Galileo Galilei

The more you learn, the more you realize you didn't know. That's the downside of continuing your education. The benefits come next.
~ A WinTarded observation
Disclaimer: This is just my humble opinion -- In a free world, is everyone is entitled to their own opinions?
Spoiler

#26 User is offline   whatevs 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

biginc said
When I try to activate Windows Defender, I get a box saying "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status. My computer came with McAfee trial installed. Any ideas? or if I uninstall McAfee, will that solve my problem? That will probably solve the problem. It is considered bad practice to have two AVs running at the same time (they tend to fight with each other).

I just had the same problem and this fixed it. When the McAfee program was uninstalling an alert came up with the option to activate Windows Defender, it was easy from there.

#27 User is offline   MervynD 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Have not yet quite slit my throat over Windows 8, but it's getting close!
In order to access the Windows Defender application you have to uninstall any anti-virus software that might have been pre-installed or subsequently installed. Only then can you follow the instructions at the top of this page.

#28 User is offline   csthom01 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

The above directions for activating Windows Defender in Windows 8 do not work on the HP Envy desktop that I purchased from Best Buy. When I searched for Windows Defender I got this message:

"Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer. If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status."

Very disappointing!

#29 User is offline   csthom01 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

The directions above no longer work (2.1.13) . I received this message:

Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer.

If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status.

UGH! Chuck

#30 User is offline   nigelroot 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I like to have avast and WD running simultaneously, have done for quite sometime on my win7 laptop. Howeber since uninstalling the packaged Norton, and installing Avast I am unable to start WD, any suggestions?

I agree with mrdazjones' post on 31.12.12. I would like to run avast continuously, and WD occasionally, to virus check the PC. But it appears that it's one or the other, with another virus checker running Windows Defender can't even be started.
Regards,
Nigel

#31 User is offline   jacqueo 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

When I try to activate Windows Defender, I get a box saying "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status. My computer came with McAfee trial installed. Any ideas? or if I uninstall McAfee, will that solve my problem?

after my trail ended with McAfee it locked me out of my computer changing my passwords on EVERYTHING. What a nightmare, had to reboot the system. McAfee is a little to overprotective. According to the Lenovo computer geek they are seeing a lot of this issue.

#32 User is offline   catzmeow4u 

• Pip

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

biginc said

I have uninstalled the Anti-virus program that came with my computer, and it didn't help...any suggestions? I still get this message "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status."

#33 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Okay, I've said my piece above, and if followed correctly, to the letter; it will work time after time, anytime, all-the-time.

However, I'm not a support help-desk unfortunately.

In an attempt to help others resolve some of their issues, please do your own research by searching for can't start windows defender in windows 8 resulting in:
Posted Image

Also know that Microsoft officially supports security and updates issues, by simply calling the numbers found here. Just mention it is a "security / malware issue", someone will take your coordinates (Name, telephone #), then give you a case ID#, then you may speak with a Microsoft Technician for free.

Although technically, if you are experiencing problems with say Dell or HP, then you should really talk to Dell or HP themselves, since they are the OEM, thus provide their own technical support.

For me at least: Windows 8 problems? What problems?

Good luck to all!

~~~~~~~~~
There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.
~ Warren Buffet

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
~ Confucius

Follow the three R’s:
Respect for self
Respect for others and
Responsibility for all your actions.
~ Dalai Lama

Disclaimer: This is just my humble opinion -- In a free world, is everyone is entitled to their own opinions?
Spoiler

#34 User is offline   mattg 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

Not working!
when I click on Windows defender, the pop up says "Windows defender is turned off', and nothing else can be done

#35 User is offline   mean 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

When I try to activate Windows Defender, I get a box saying "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status. My computer came with McAfee trial installed. Any ideas? or if I uninstall McAfee, will that solve my problem?

#36 User is offline   mean 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

i am expiriencing the same,..that's what i've been thinking to do,..but i will wait for McAfee to expire first.,..have you tried it???

#37 User is offline   ekania 

• Pip

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

how to repair my windows defender, cause mine doesn't work properly and can't update well...

#38 User is offline   BobS1145 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

biginc said

#39 User is offline   BobS1145 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I just tried to activate Windows Defender and got the same message. I'd already installed McAfee's Security Suite and my new Samsung came with Norton ready for me to buy. I suppose I should remove both McAfee and Norton although McAfee and Windows Defender both ran fine on my old Dell. Sound right?

#40 User is offline   BobS1145 

• Pip

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Just activated Defender on my new Samsung laptop but Samsung SW update keeps giving me option to reactivate bundled Norton. A bit of a pain to reactivate Defender but got their in the end. Going to install 8 System Builder 64 bit on main desktop machine & stick with Defender & I.E. 10 & see how things go.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users