• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Activate Windows Defender In Windows 8

#41 User is offline   BobS1145 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

How did you get to Windows Defender? My new Samsung gives me the same box ed message with only a close button.

#42 User is offline   sososolame 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

uh, yeah much like the many, many others who have tried this USELESS advice of typing in 'windows defender' in windows 8 - the ONLY response is a message saying 'windows defender is turned off' and the message box closes - that is the ONLY message - there is no 'settings' option - there is no dialog box - there is ONLY the message 'windows defender is turned off' - as usual - i remain completely underwhelmed by these advertisement updates.

#43 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

OMG!

Can you people READ?

Microsoft Windows Defender is built-into Windows 8. PERIOD.

What is so complicated about typing in the Search Page, 'defender' ? Disabled or not by other pre-installed crapware so-called antivirus, Windows Defender is still there.
Posted Image

Click on [Settings] (as administrator)
Posted Image

Is this checkmark ON? Duh!
Posted Image

Well you can't turn-on this checkmark (it is grayed out) unless the OTHER ANTI-VIRUS is completely UNINSTALLED, and the system REBOOTED, TWICE!

There are two kinds of people on this Earth. Intelligent ones, and Stupid ones. That is why the average IQ is 100. Which half do you belong into?

Microsoft free support Windows 8 Windows Defender
Posted Image

Rightly, those who bitch and complain, should first call the company where they bought their computers from and ask for support to solve this issue.

But just in case 'the computer dropped from a truck' and found its way into a seedy bar for cash, even Microsoft would support security issues for free!

The only reason for not calling the right source for support is if the unit was 'stolen', since Microsoft and other OEM will ask for your name, contact email, telephone #, address etc... And if the unit was reported stolen (easily tracked by its serial and license number), then tag, you're it!

Buying stolen merchandise or goods is considered criminal activity in most civilized jurisdictions, don't you know?:ph34r:

I'm not saying whether these are genuine units or not BTW. I'm just wondering why people won't call the place where they legally bought their merchandise for technical support? Best Buy? Wal-Mart? Or Samsung or HP? WTF (Where To Find)?;) What have you got to hide?

Microsoft free technical support regarding updates and security issues
Posted Image

http://support.micro...c_virsec_master
Posted Image

For those of average intellect with an IQ of > 100, please go back to the article, and also the top of the thread and please re-read the step-by-step instructions carefully, if you can understand what you are reading.

Others, get lost! You are just wasting our time and bandwidth, trolling or worse...

~~~~~~~~~~
Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do.
~ Bertrand Russell

The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.
~ Albert Einstein

Those who do not read are no better off than those who cannot.
{Chinese Aphorism}

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
~ Dale Carnegie

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.
~ Aldous Huxley

This post has been edited by WinTard: 24 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Disclaimer: This is just my humble opinion -- In a free world, is everyone is entitled to their own opinions?
Spoiler

#44 User is offline   blackhawk3 

• Pip

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

I still cant open windows defender, says another app is in use but when I go to the action center it says both Norton and Defender are turned off. Is there a way to turn it on manually??

#45 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Postblackhawk3, on 02 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

I still cant open windows defender, says another app is in use but when I go to the action center it says both Norton and Defender are turned off. Is there a way to turn it on manually??

Have you uninstalled Norton? Well if Norton is turned off, that means it still is installed? Have you completely uninstalled Norton? And then rebooted TWICE?

You might try this first? That is the most difficult part after all.

What's the point of reading I suppose?

~~~~~~~~~~
Those who do not read are no better off than those who cannot.
{Chinese Proverb}

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
{Chinese Proverb}

The rock that is an obstacle in the path of one person becomes a stepping stone in the path of another.
{Yiddish Proverb}

Disclaimer: This is just my humble opinion -- In a free world, is everyone is entitled to their own opinions?
Spoiler

#46 User is offline   tbridgemen 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Windows Defender works great for me. In fact, it's so flawless, I almost forget it's there. I haven't had to mess with it once. The only issue is that Microsoft Security Essentials (which Defender is based on) failed the latest AV-test mostly because of it's inability to catch any zero-day malware. http://download.cnet...latest-av-test/ Though Defender is suppose to be a bit better than MSE, until they start showing some improvement there, I wouldn't be able to sleep easy.

You really should read the articles you site. It says that MSE stopped two-thirds of the zero-day malware. Which is the first time I have ever heard of MSE not being one the best AV software packages out there. Makes me question the tests.

#47 User is offline   gmosley 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Just got an Asus Taichi with Windows 8 and, of course, a McAfee trial pre-enabled. I tried the process outlined above but when I clicked on the Windows Defender icon, a small window popped up saying Windows Defender has been inactivated. Period. No options whatsoever. So, I uninstalled McAfee completely and tried again. Same result. How can I get at Windows Defender?

#48 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

View Postgmosley, on 04 March 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Just got an Asus Taichi with Windows 8 and, of course, a McAfee trial pre-enabled. I tried the process outlined above but when I clicked on the Windows Defender icon, a small window popped up saying Windows Defender has been inactivated. Period. No options whatsoever. So, I uninstalled McAfee completely and tried again. Same result. How can I get at Windows Defender?

Well, unless your system is already infected with something nasty, perhaps you could try these additional steps?

Unfortunately, malware has a tendency to go and screw up the system so the built-in protection becomes unusable.

Regardless, on a proper, non-adulterated system, Windows Defender is built-in, and can work provided there are no other Anti-Virus running.

Please go to the computer management screen, and click on Services, then look for Windows Defender Service:
Posted Image

Make sure the service isn't disabled. If it is, simply force it to start:
Posted Image

Then also change the startup parameter to automatic, and restart the computer.
Posted Image

Assuming all other anti-virus are completely purged from your Windows 8 system, then after the restart, you should be able to access Windows Defender as per the methods described earlier.

Then please come back and tell us if this works?

Thank you and Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~
The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
~ John Barrymore

The luck of having talent is not enough; one must also have a talent for luck.
~ Hector Berlioz, 1803-1869, French Romantic Composer

We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.
~ Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865, 16th President of the United States

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   gmosley 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Never mind - discovered all I had to do was open the Action Center.

#50 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Postgmosley, on 04 March 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

View Postgmosley, on 04 March 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Never mind - discovered all I had to do was open the Action Center.

You mean just like this?
turn on windows defender windows 8
Posted Image

On the second link:

~~~~~~~~~~
Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.
~ Ambrose Bierce

Beware of the man who won't be bothered with details.
~ William Feather, Sr.

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum: I think I think, therefore I think I am.
~ Ambrose Bierce

Spoiler

#51 User is offline   RAJWINDER 

• Pip

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

when I open window defender, there is an error that is " window defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer"

#52 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

In case your system is already compromised by these 'trial' anti-virus expiring, then leaving your PC unprotected, and subsequently are having issues starting any anti-virus package whether from Microsoft or other brands, here is some useful info that might help.

Microsoft said:

There are many benefits from booting a clean OS, before attempting removal of any active virus fighting for its life! If booted clean, then the virus is dormant, and not active. This facilitates the detection and eradication of malware with extreme prejudice and efficiency.

Of course Microsoft Defender, online or offline versions are completely free. Think of it as a goodwill gesture from Microsoft.

The astute won't create the bootable offline version, from the same infected or suspected PC, of course? I mean, how difficult is it to get your hands on a PC nowadays?

~~~~~~~~~~
Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.
~ Voltaire

You know, feeling a lot of gratitude actually makes things taste better…
~ Bridgett Walther

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.
~ Cicero, 106 BC-43 BC

Spoiler

#53 User is offline   gyanuthapamgr 

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

i have 1 problome there not w0rking the windows defender why?but befor working this defender but now what hapaned i dont no can you give me som solution?

#54 User is offline   jj78hc 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

When I follow your advice to open Windows defender to activate all I get is a warning that defender has been turned off on my computer, and to go to the app now monitoring my computer. How do I change this? The device has Norton Trial bundled on it and it is about to expire. I have windows 8.

#55 User is offline   jj78hc 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

First, head to the modern-style Start screen and type "Windows Defender" to have Windows search for the program, then click on the Windows Defender icon when it appears in the results. A Windows Defender window will appear on the classic desktop.
"No it doesn't!" Only a box stating defender has been turned off and to go to the current app monitoring the computer.

#56 User is offline   carlo 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

i can't turn on my window defender what should i do ? im using asus windows 8 need help thankyou

#57 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postjj78hc, on 21 March 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

When I follow your advice to open Windows defender to activate all I get is a warning that defender has been turned off on my computer, and to go to the app now monitoring my computer. How do I change this? The device has Norton Trial bundled on it and it is about to expire. I have windows 8.

• You cannot enable or 'activate' (the article title is a misnomer) Windows 8 Defender if there are other third-party security software running installed.
  • Since your device got the Norton Trial bundled as 'bloat-crap-ware' by the OEM factory installed, then you cannot enable Windows Defender-->
  • Until you completely uninstall the offending and incompatible antivirus, and reboot TWICE.

Then enabling Windows Defender becomes child's play.

For the benefits of those who do not go back to and read the beginning of a thread (where solutions are usually found on the first page on post #19), here it is:

View PostWinTard, on 31 December 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

View Postbevaau, on 31 December 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

I have a new computer with Windows 8 that came loaded with a heap of Norton 'stuff'. I cannot turn on Windows Defender - Control Panel - Security - offers no mention of it (that I can see) and Search - Apps - Windows Defender - only says 'Windows Defender is turned off' and offers no way to access it to 'turn it on'.
Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, Norton is the virus. Or is malware at the very least, since they purposely make it so hard to uninstall. But it is possible.

• First thing to do is to Google uninstall norton:
    Posted Image
  • REBOOT!
  • Verify Norton is gone, with all the accompanying crapware. It usually leaves some Symantec/Norton stuff like auto-updaters etc... If not entirely clean from this bloatware, go back to step 1 and 2, until finally disinfected clean.
  • REBOOT again! Why not it only takes six to twelve seconds or so on a clean Windows 8 system. Even a low-end one.
  • Go into Start Menu (lower left corner) and type Windows Defender (as administrator meaning login with your admin account, not the regular non-admin one)
  • Click onto the filtered search results (Windows Defender application)
  • Navigate to {settings}
  • Checkmark Turn on real-time protection (recommended) and save changes then you're done!
    Posted Image
The most difficult part will be to uninstall the bloat-crap-malware from Norton.

Good luck, and Happy New Year everybody!

PS: a properly configured Windows 8 system will cold boot in six to twelve seconds, from initial power-on of the system. Anything above that mark is caused by bloat-crap-ware. Unfortunately.

~~~~~~~~~~
A computer is a stupid machine with the ability to do incredibly smart things, while computer programmers are smart people with the ability to do incredibly stupid things. They are, in short, a perfect match.
~ Some computer science & electrical engineering literate

The words of truth are always paradoxical.
~ Lao Tzu, Philosopher of Ancient China around ~ 600 BCE

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why.
~ A practical theorist

The only constant is change.
~ Confucius, Chinese Thinker and Social Philosopher 551 BC ~ 479 BC

Spoiler

#58 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postjj78hc, on 21 March 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

First, head to the modern-style Start screen and type "Windows Defender" to have Windows search for the program, then click on the Windows Defender icon when it appears in the results. A Windows Defender window will appear on the classic desktop.
"No it doesn't!" Only a box stating defender has been turned off and to go to the current app monitoring the computer.

I'll show you mine, then you show me yours...

• I type defender in the start screen:
    Posted Image
  • After I click on the Windows Defender found in the context sensitive search I get this on the Full Desktop mode:
    Posted Image
  • Perhaps you should follow exactly all the instructions, step-by-step in the prior post #57?
  • I think the fact your Norton is still installed, even if expired, it still remains... And continues to interfere.
  • There are NO shortcuts in life. In other words, colloquially: Easy come = Easy go.

~~~~~~~~~~
If you can't control your anger, you are as helpless as a city without walls waiting to be attacked.
~ The Book of Proverbs

A mediocre person tells. A good person explains. A superior person demonstrates. A great person inspires others to see for themselves.
~ Harvey Mackay

Freedom, privileges, options, must constantly be exercised, even at the risk of inconvenience.
~ Jack Vance

Spoiler

#59 User is offline   WinTard 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Postcarlo, on 21 March 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

i can't turn on my window defender what should i do ? im using asus windows 8 need help thankyou

Welcome Carlo, please read the posts on this page (for brevity) and follow the steps-by-steps, precisely. Do not skip any steps! Or it won't work for you.

Now if you had McAfee instead of Norton, then simply uninstall McAfee first!

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~
Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.
~ Napoleon Hill

The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear.
~ Brian Tracy

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
~ Dale Carnegie

Spoiler

#60 User is offline   nrmarcus 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

biginc said
When I try to activate Windows Defender, I get a box saying "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status. My computer came with McAfee trial installed. Any ideas? or if I uninstall McAfee, will that solve my problem? That will probably solve the problem. It is considered bad practice to have two AVs running at the same time (they tend to fight with each other).

I have this same problem. I uninstalled McAfee trial and restarted the laptop, but I till get the same message. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do now to activate Windows Defender! I am left with NO virus protection. Please help.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users