Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dual Hard Drive Help

#1 User is offline   PoloTiger 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hi I have a dual Hard drive set up with at Corsair 128gb SSD and a Barracuda 500gb HHD.

I put the main games I play on my SSD with my Windows 7 on it s well, about 100 gigs of data. Currently I have that as the main hard rice, but I want everyday downloads like images and adding and such on my HDD. Should I go into BIOS and change the order of the start up, or should I rename the HDD and SDD? Or should I do something completely different. I'm new to windows, and want my SSD to only have Games and Windows on it. Nothing else like music, addins, texture packs, or smaller games. Please help. And Happy Holidays.

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

You can create folders on the hard drive for documents, music, etc, and add them to the libraries in Windows 7 or later, setting those as the defualt save locations.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi, PoloTiger, and welcome to the forums.

Go to your folder within C:\Users. You can get there by clicking Start, then clicking your name in the upper-right corner of the start menu.

Once there, right-click the Downloads folder and select Properties. Click the Location tab. Set the location to a folder on your HDD. From here on in, your downloads will go by default to the HDD.

I recommend you do this as well for Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures, and most other folders here.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   PoloTiger 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Lincoln and Brian, both are ver very helpful. I have one question: Do I do the same thing I do with Download for all the other folders? ie Documents, Photos, Music...? Thanks for all the hope!!! Happy holidays.

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yes, if you want all of those on your spinning hard drive instead of the SSD.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   PoloTiger 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Thanks Brian, have a good holiday season.

#7 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 20 December 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yes, if you want all of those on your spinning hard drive instead of the SSD.

It's up to you. Basically, it's a choice between fast storage and cheap storage.

But in my experience, putting data files in cheap storage doesn't slow down the PC much. See TheBest of Both Worlds: An SSD and a HDD for details.

Lincoln

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

To be honest, the largest data files you have are probably sequential (videos for instance), and still don't need particularly fast storage. (In my case, the problem is that I have a lot of VMs, where a slow hard drive is a huge bottleneck, and I need quite a bit of space.)
Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users