• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Austria Bound!

#1 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'm back from University and a mini Florida vacation!

But I'm turning right around and going to be studying abroad in Austria starting in February. All of my friends say the experience is going to be amazing!
So I get to enjoy the European time difference, new foods and new cultures too!

Either way, I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Also, my photoblog- http://germany-austria-fun.tumblr.com/
Even the experts started out as beginners

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Don't forget about the power differences too. Strange plugs and most likely 220 volts. Adapters are much cheaper here than trying to get them on site. I used to carry a box with my instruments that had three dozen different adapters and a multi winding transformer so I could at least charge my batteries. Now I use a small gelcell and an inverter. That's a full circle, using a battery inverter to charge batteries. Some of the larger ones would run directly off twelve volts but your cables had to be almost like jumper cables. I've never been to the UK, always west, not east. Some countries also use fifty cycles too, not sure about Austria. This can cause some heat problems with the little adapters/wall plugin units but should work okay.

#3 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 20 December 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Don't forget about the power differences too. Strange plugs and most likely 220 volts. Adapters are much cheaper here than trying to get them on site. I used to carry a box with my instruments that had three dozen different adapters and a multi winding transformer so I could at least charge my batteries. Now I use a small gelcell and an inverter. That's a full circle, using a battery inverter to charge batteries. Some of the larger ones would run directly off twelve volts but your cables had to be almost like jumper cables. I've never been to the UK, always west, not east. Some countries also use fifty cycles too, not sure about Austria. This can cause some heat problems with the little adapters/wall plugin units but should work okay.

Yes indeed! 220/50 is what Germany & Austria use and my primary chargers all support 120/240 50/60

So I just need to get some physical adapters and all should be good to go.
Even the experts started out as beginners

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yep. The plug configurations differ as well, athough the voltage may be the same. I know that the plugs in the UK differ than the ones on the Continent. Yeah, keep in mind that there is a 6 hour time difference between here ( EST ) and there.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 22 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   lilxkid24 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

View Postcrazy4laptops, on 20 December 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

I'm back from University and a mini Florida vacation!

But I'm turning right around and going to be studying abroad in Austria starting in February. All of my friends say the experience is going to be amazing!
So I get to enjoy the European time difference, new foods and new cultures too!

Either way, I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Also, my photoblog- http://germany-austria-fun.tumblr.com/

that's awesome, have fun! I just started winter break last week & don't go back to school til Jan 28th!

#6 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Congratulations, you Americans should travel a lot to find out that the world is much more than Washington D.C., NYC and  LA. And next winter you may come to Poland, like Krynica-Zdroj or Zakopane, which is called Polish Winter Capital, or our other ski resorts. It's only a few clikcks away in Google. That's yet better food and a new culture and beautiful landscapes, too. Be easy, we have internet, mobiles and wi-fi so you don't have to worry about that.    

This post has been edited by Szczecinianin: 23 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users