• You cannot reply to this topic

Playing Tunes From Ipad To Home Stereo Playing Tunes From Ipad To Home Stereo

#1 User is offline   Socratease 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

Here's the facts:

1. I have about 4000 cds.
2. I have a wireless network in my house.
3. I have a sony playstation (and I could buy more) hooked into one of the stereos.
4. I have 3 separate stereos in 3 separate rooms throughout the house that I'd like to be able to play all my songs (could add playstations to each stereo, if need be).

Here's what I want to do:

1. Get 2 (one used as a backup) NAS-enabled external hardrives with sufficent memory to store about 60,000 songs and connect this to my home network by plugging it into a (USB) wirless router.

2. Use an Ipad (or other tablet device, whichever is best suited to the task) to connect to the the above external hard drive, thereby gaining access to the 60,000 songs, using iTunes so that I can search for a specific song/artist/album without having to scroll through 60,000 songs.

3. Use the above iPad (or other tablet) to stream the music I select from the external hardrive through iTunes to my playstation (or some other device--such as, perhaps, a Bluetooth reciever, also plugged into the stereo) so that the music will play through my stereo.

So, basically, I want to use iTunes to create a home "jukebox" using my current stereo as the sound source.

I've done a lot of research, and I'm pretty sure that numbers 1 and 2, above are possible. It's number 3 that I'm not sure of. I think there are ways to make an iPad connect to my playstation, but I'm not so sure about number 3.

Can anyone confirm that this would work, before I buy the external drives and iPad? Are there any problems with this, or is there a better way to do it? Thanks to all.

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi, Socratease, and welcome to the forums.

This is an interesting challenge. My first thought was to attach an Apple TV to each stereo. The problem is that without an actual TV in each room, you'd have no way to tell the Apple TV what to do. Also, I'm not sure about streaming from a NAS in the Apple universe.

Here's something that I think will work, although I haven't tried it, and it won't work iTunes:

Make sure to get a NAS that's also a DLNA server. That shouldn't be a problem. I think you'd have a harder time finding one geared for the consumer market that didn't support DLNA.

Buy an Android phone or tablet, and install DLNA client software on it.

Then you could plug the tablet into any of the stereos and access the music.

Since I can't guarantee that it will work, I suggest buying everything from a store with a good return policy.

Please let us know if this works.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   Socratease 

• Pip

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 23 December 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Hi, Socratease, and welcome to the forums.

This is an interesting challenge. My first thought was to attach an Apple TV to each stereo. The problem is that without an actual TV in each room, you'd have no way to tell the Apple TV what to do. Also, I'm not sure about streaming from a NAS in the Apple universe.

Here's something that I think will work, although I haven't tried it, and it won't work iTunes:

Make sure to get a NAS that's also a DLNA server. That shouldn't be a problem. I think you'd have a harder time finding one geared for the consumer market that didn't support DLNA.

Buy an Android phone or tablet, and install DLNA client software on it.

Then you could plug the tablet into any of the stereos and access the music.

Since I can't guarantee that it will work, I suggest buying everything from a store with a good return policy.

Please let us know if this works.

Lincoln

Hey Lincoln,

Thanks for the advice. It is a challenge, isn't it? You might think that it shouldn't be in these times of "connectivity". Nevertheless I will try what you said in the New Year and report back for others that might be interested.

When you say "plug the tablet into any of the stereos", I assume you mean a physical connection, with, say a 3.5 mm jack that's on the tablet to an rca cable converter. Is there any way that you know of to have the tablet connect wirelessly with a play station (using play station media server) or, instead of that, perhaps a blue tooth connection with the corresponding blue-tooth decoder (which actually plugs into the stereo such as this: My link ? Also, how do I search through my many music files without the aid of iTunes?

Thanks,

Kevin

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Nope...use an AirPort Express with each stereo (same price as an Apple TV...$99).

You can then use AirPlay to stream from iTunes on a computer to ANY combination of the AirPort Expresses (sp?). Then install the Apple "Remote" app on your iPad, which will allow you to control iTunes on your computer remotely from your iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch).

For storing the music, you could use either an internal drive on the computer, an external drive, or even an NAS (iTunes can point to an NAS for the library storage).

This method will require the computer to be on and iTunes running for it to work, but works well. I basically use this system to stream to an AirPort Express connected to some old, cheap computer speakers in the living room and my Apple TV connected to my stereo in the family room. The result is that I have music playing on all three levels of my house (tri-level/split-level home) when you including the speakers connected to the computer. It is all wireless. No need to plug/unplug a tablet from each stereo.

There should also be ways of streaming music from your computer to the Playstation, just not sure if it will direction go from iTunes.

This post has been edited by smax013: 23 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   Socratease 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

View Postsmax013, on 23 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Nope...use an AirPort Express with each stereo (same price as an Apple TV...$99).

You can then use AirPlay to stream from iTunes on a computer to ANY combination of the AirPort Expresses (sp?). Then install the Apple "Remote" app on your iPad, which will allow you to control iTunes on your computer remotely from your iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch).

For storing the music, you could use either an internal drive on the computer, an external drive, or even an NAS (iTunes can point to an NAS for the library storage).

This method will require the computer to be on and iTunes running for it to work, but works well. I basically use this system to stream to an AirPort Express connected to some old, cheap computer speakers in the living room and my Apple TV connected to my stereo in the family room. The result is that I have music playing on all three levels of my house (tri-level/split-level home) when you including the speakers connected to the computer. It is all wireless. No need to plug/unplug a tablet from each stereo.

There should also be ways of streaming music from your computer to the Playstation, just not sure if it will direction go from iTunes.

Thanks Smax ,

I had thought of something similar to what you suggested, although I sure appreciate knowing the appropriate hardware and app names.

The only thing I don't like--and call me lazy or maybe "energy conscious"-- is that computer that has to be on all the time. From a purely intuitive point of view--i.e. in ignorance of how things actually work--one wishes that one could "remove the middleman", the middleman being that computer that has to be on all the time. Is there no way that an iPad (or any other wireless iDevice) could BOTH connect to a hard drive on the network with the music on it, using iTunes or something else to organize/search the songs, AND stream out the song selected to play to Airport Express (which is connected to the wireless network on one "end" and to my stereo on the other "end")? Is the impossibility of doing this somehow related to the fact that the one device (iPad) has to be connected simultaneously to two different things in the network i.e. both the external hard drive where the music is stored (for "incoming" content) AND the Airport Express (for "outgoing" content)?

I like, as far as I can, to know the why of something to help me really understand what I'm doing!

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostSocratease, on 23 December 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Also, how do I search through my many music files without the aid of iTunes?

Thanks,

Kevin

You wouldn't use iTunes. The DLNA client software on your tablet would do the same work as iTunes.

Of course, it wouldn't work with music you've downloaded from iTunes, but you're use of the word "CDs" in your original post made me assume this wasn't an issue.

Max's suggestion makes more sense if you want to stay in Apple's walled garden. I don't, and I only use iTunes when I'm writing about iTunes. So that's my prejudice peaking through.

I agree with your reluctance to have a computer on 24/7. It's a waste of electricity. I googled iTunes NAS and got some promising links, although I didn't follow them. Maybe there is a NAS that works with iTunes.

And yes, I was thinking in terms of physically plugging the tablet into the stereos. It's the cheaper and simpler solution. But yes, there are wireless solutions, as well.

FWIW, my entire music selection fits on a 32GB Cambridge Soundworks Zen music player. I also have subsets of that on my Android phone and my iPad (I'm not entirely anti-Apple). I can physically plug any of them into the sound systems in most rooms of the house, as well as my car. You could almost do the same thing with a 160GB iPod Classic.

Lincoln

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I suppose I should go "back to basics" and ask a basic question...

What equipment do you currently have that you may want to use vs. what you would likely end up buying? In other words, I am trying to figure out if we are trying to find something that fits equipment that you already have or if we are talking about "starting from scratch"? For example, do you have the iPad? I am assuming you don't have any NAS devices since you kind of implied that from the original post.

The other question: What is your budget for anything that you might end up "needing" to buy? This will help us "narrow down" the size of the "box" we are thinking in.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostSocratease, on 24 December 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

Thanks Smax ,

I had thought of something similar to what you suggested, although I sure appreciate knowing the appropriate hardware and app names.

The only thing I don't like--and call me lazy or maybe "energy conscious"-- is that computer that has to be on all the time. From a purely intuitive point of view--i.e. in ignorance of how things actually work--one wishes that one could "remove the middleman", the middleman being that computer that has to be on all the time. Is there no way that an iPad (or any other wireless iDevice) could BOTH connect to a hard drive on the network with the music on it, using iTunes or something else to organize/search the songs, AND stream out the song selected to play to Airport Express (which is connected to the wireless network on one "end" and to my stereo on the other "end")? Is the impossibility of doing this somehow related to the fact that the one device (iPad) has to be connected simultaneously to two different things in the network i.e. both the external hard drive where the music is stored (for "incoming" content) AND the Airport Express (for "outgoing" content)?

I like, as far as I can, to know the why of something to help me really understand what I'm doing!

FWIW, running a computer 24/7 does not take up that much power as long as you have the monitor turned off. For example, the computer that I run 24/7 (for a variety of reasons) will typically run at about 7 watts with the monitors off (it is a laptop that I kind of use as a desktop). It goes up to about 40 to 50 watts when the monitors are on (I have two monitors attached to it). Of course, it will depend on the computer...some computers will suck up more power than others.

If you really don't want to keep a computer running, then there are certainly other options.

The one option would be to put all your music on the iPad. For this would need a 64 GB iPad...and even then depending on what quality you rip the songs from the CDs, it would not all fit (if you rip at 128 kbps, that would mean roughly 15000 four minute songs). And of course, you would not end up with much room for anything else. With that in mind, you could go with an iPod Touch instead that you ONLY use for music and then have the iPad for other things assuming you want/need an iPad for other things. Going this route with an iOS device would still work with the AirPort Expresses. You can AirPlay from an iOS device to an AirPort Express (or Apple TV). The only different is that you can only stream using AirPlay on an iOS device to ONE AirPort Express/Apple TV/AirPlay speakers at a time, while you can stream to multiple AirPort Expresses/Apple TV/AirPlay speakers from iTunes on a computer.

The variation on the above option would be to go with a iPod Classic as Lincoln suggested. With 160 GB, you could get about 40000 four minute songs when ripped at 128 kbps. This option would eliminate the option of using AirPort Expresses since non-iOS based iPods don't have WiFi (or Bluetooth) to stream to an AirPlay device. You could use direct plug in method that Lincoln has mentioned. Or you could use Bluetooth (I know I said it does not have Bluetooth, but bear with me). You can get a Bluetooth "dongle" that plugs into the headphone jack or dock connector (such as this: http://www.amazon.co...ter+ipod...note this is an example just from a search on Amazon...I have no clue how good it may or may not be, but there are plenty of other similar devices). Then you can get a Bluetooth receiver for each stereo (here is an example: http://www.amazon.co...h+adapter+3.5mm ...there are other similar products). The downside of this option is that you would have to "manually" switch which Bluetooth receiver you are paired to when going from stereo to stereo...and I don't know how easy that will be with a Bluetooth adapter for the iPod Classic (it would be very easy with a tablet with built-in Bluetooth).

The other route is to go with what Lincoln has suggested...a DLNA server and then stream to tablet (there are DLNA players supposedly available for the iPad, but you could go with an Android tablet as well with this option). Many NAS devices support acting as a DLNA server. As Lincoln noted, I am not sure if DLNA players/servers will support songs purchased through the iTunes Store (i.e. in AAC format), but I believe some will. That might not be an issue if you are only dealing with your CDs that you have ripped. You can then use one of those Bluetooth receivers for each stereo since most (if not all) tablets tend to have Bluetooth (see the note about switching Bluetooth devices in the above paragraph). Also with an iPad (or iPod Touch), you likely could go the route of using AirPlay as I believe some of the DLNA players for iOS support AirPlay (thus, back to AirPort Expresses hooked to each stereo)...this would eliminate the Bluetooth switching hassles.

Another option would be to use Amazon's Cloud Player service. You would have to pay $25 a year. This would allow you to have up to 250,000 songs on the Amazon Cloud Player service (Apple and Google offer similar services, but limit you to WAY fewer songs...25,000 for iTunes Match and 20,000 for Google Play, I believe). You can then use the Amazon Cloud Player app on the iPad to stream your music. It is compatible with AirPlay, so you could use an AirPort Express connected to each stereo to stream the music from the Amazon Cloud Player service to the iPad and then to the stereos. The only downside to this is uploading your 60000 songs to the Amazon servers...that will take a while. :)

There are other variations I am sure, but one of those may do the trick.

Edit: You could also explore the Sonos system: http://www.sonos.com/. I believe it will work with NAS devices. Downside is that is on the expensive side.

This post has been edited by smax013: 24 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 24 December 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

I googled iTunes NAS and got some promising links, although I didn't follow them. Maybe there is a NAS that works with iTunes.

Yes, many NAS drives do have some sort of support for iTunes. I don't know exactly what that means, however. I believe it means that you can "stream" content stored on the NAS to iTunes on a computer.

My NAS has iTunes support, but frankly I have not figured out how to get it working yet. :(
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   Socratease 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

WOW--thanks guys. It'll take me a bit to parse through all the info you've given me. If it makes any difference, I have NOT purchased any tablet device or any storage device yet. I do, of course, have the stereos, a playstation (if it could be used), wireless network, and an extra Dell laptop.

#11 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

@smax013 FYI, desktops use a LOT more power than laptops. Mine uses 80W idle, and a friend's with a Xeon and a 580 uses 150W as I recall. I definitely wouldn't want to leave it on 24/7 just to stream music.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#12 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 24 December 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

@smax013 FYI, desktops use a LOT more power than laptops. Mine uses 80W idle, and a friend's with a Xeon and a 580 uses 150W as I recall. I definitely wouldn't want to leave it on 24/7 just to stream music.

And they can use a LOT less if they are set to going into sleep mode after a period of time. My dad's Dell Windows 7 desktop uses 0 W when it is in sleep mode.

So, with a "wake on LAN" function active, you should be able to even leave a desktop running 24/7 running iTunes with minimal power consumption and then potentially have the Remote app on the iPad access the desktop, which should wake it up.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#13 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

True. I wonder how well WOL works - in my experience, leaving it enabled tends to cause problems like the machine refusing to stay in sleep mode (waking up immediately) or turning on as soon as I turn it on. As a result, I have all of it disabled.

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 25 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   Socratease 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Despite hours of research, I've learned more from "real people" than the numerous articles and forums I've searched.

I've eliminated the following alternatives that have been proposed:

a) Storing music files on Amazon cloud, because of the expense, the long time to upload 60-80,000 songs, and the fact that each song must be downloaded to play.
B) Storing the music directly in a tablet/iPod/iPhone, as no device has nearly enough memory for all of my music collection.
c) Physically connecting a tablet into the stereo receiver, as I want to access my tunes from anywhere in the house.
d) Using Sonos, as it is expensive and I have a hard time understanding what pieces I need and which I don't. I don't need ANY more speakers and I'd prefer to use my own WiFi and not be dependent on what I perceive as their own method of wireless streaming.

As far as I can see, this leaves me 2-ish options. I think I prefer Option 1 (without Bluetooth). I've tried to be exhaustively explicit with the two options below, but sure would appreciate anyone showing me where I might be befuddled or run into trouble. Thanks again, all of you. Apologies for the length of this post.

OPTION 1:

1.Store music in 320 mbps mpeg files on an external hard drive.
-a second external hard drive will be needed to back up all music files in the event that the 1st external hard drive fails.

2. The external hard drive (from 1 above--does NOT have to be NAS?] is physically connected to a laptop (or desktop) running iTunes, which will organize the songs from the external hard drive so they can be searched by artist, song, genre or album name. iTunes will also facilitate the playing of any song. The laptop is connected to the home wireless network via the network settings in its operating system, Windows 8. The laptop also has Apple's "Air Play" installed on it so that it can stream songs selected for play to at least 3 Apple Airport Expresses (see 4 below) when requested to do so by the iPad (see 3 below).

-note that the laptop computer referenced above would have to be ON in order for the entire music playing system to work. A "wake on LAN function" (i.e. computer "wakes up" when something accesses the Local Area Network?) could save power and computer "wear", but it may make the laptop "do strange things".

3. A tablet, let's say an iPad--with the Apple "Remote" app installed on it--connects to the laptop (see 2 above) via the wireless home network. This connection enables the iPad to effectively control the entire laptop remotely. In this way, the tablet indirectly runs iTunes so that the songs on the external hard drive (1 above) can be searched, selected and played. Since the laptop (from 1 above) could simultaneously stream to 3 stereos (via 3 Airport Expresses, see below), one song could play over 3 stereos. It should be noted that 3 DIFFERENT songs could be NOT streamed to each of the 3 independent stereos (is this correct?).

4. Each of the 3 stereos has an Apple "Airport Express"* box that are each connected to the home wireless network. Each "Airport Express" receives the music streamed to it by the laptop/iPad combination described above. Each "Airport Express" box has a 3.5mm output jack. Using a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter, the Airport Express is physically connected to a stereo receiver. When the input into which the "Airport Express" RCA adapter is selected on the receiver, the music will play through the speakers connected to that receiver. [Could also use Bluetooth transmitter on the iPad to connect to a stereo receiver that as a Bluetooth receiver plugged into one of its inputs. In this case, however, only 1 song would be available for play on 1 stereo at any given time and you'd have to switch the iPad's Bluetooth device connectivity in order for music to play on a given stereo.]

*Does anyone know if the PlayStation 3 in conjunction with an installation of Play Station Media Server (on the tablet?) that I currently own (and could buy more of) could replace "Airport Express"? I'm thinking not, as PlayStation wants permission to access a (music) folder on the connected device, so that you have to use the TV and the PlayStation remote control to try and sift through 60,000 songs!

OPTION 2:

1. Store music in 320 mbps mpeg files on a NAS (Network Accessible Storage) external hard drive with DLNA server support. This device could be connected to the wireless home network so as to stream its music either by:

a) being physically plugged in to a USB port on a DLNA certified wireless router (physical connection better for speeds and reliability?) that supports USB connectivity (could it alternatively be connected to an Ethernet port on the router?)

B) being itself configured to transmit wirelessly to the network (is this possible/desirable?)

-a DLNA certified NAS hard drive may not support songs purchased through iTunes (i.e. AAC format), but some NAS devices MIGHT support AAC. Would be nice if this option existed, although majority of music will be from my CD collection.
-a second NAS external hard drive will be needed to back up all music files in the event that the 1st NAS external hard drive fails.

2. Some kind of tablet would connect to the NAS device through the home wireless network. DLNA software installed on the tablet (which one specifically?) would act like iTunes (from Option 1 above) as the searcher/selector/play-facilitator. An iPad could be used as the tablet IF a reliable DLNA music player is actually available for an iPad, otherwise an Android device (better support for DLNA?) should be used (I like the iPad).

3. Each of the 3 stereos has an Apple "Airport Express*" box that are each connected to the home wireless network. The tablet device (from 2 above) could stream to any ONE of Airport Express boxes at any given time. Each "Airport Express" box has a 3.5mm output jack. Using a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter, the Airport Express is physically connected to a stereo receiver. When the input into which the Airport Express RCA adapter is selected on the receiver, the music will play through the speakers connected to that receiver. [Could also use Bluetooth transmitter on the iPad to connect to a stereo receiver that as a Bluetooth receiver plugged into one of its inputs.. In this case, however, only 1 song would be available for play on 1 stereo at any given time, and you'd have to switch Bluetooth device connectivity on the tablet for each stereo.]

*Does anyone know if the PlayStation 3 in conjunction with an installation of Play Station Media Server (on the tablet?) that I currently own (and could buy more of) could replace "Airport Express"? I'm thinking not, as PlayStation wants permission to access a (music) folder on the connected device, so that you have to use the TV and the PlayStation remote control to try and sift through 60,000 songs!

#15 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostSocratease, on 26 December 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Despite hours of research, I've learned more from "real people" than the numerous articles and forums I've searched.

I've eliminated the following alternatives that have been proposed:

a) Storing music files on Amazon cloud, because of the expense, the long time to upload 60-80,000 songs, and the fact that each song must be downloaded to play.
B) Storing the music directly in a tablet/iPod/iPhone, as no device has nearly enough memory for all of my music collection.
c) Physically connecting a tablet into the stereo receiver, as I want to access my tunes from anywhere in the house.
d) Using Sonos, as it is expensive and I have a hard time understanding what pieces I need and which I don't. I don't need ANY more speakers and I'd prefer to use my own WiFi and not be dependent on what I perceive as their own method of wireless streaming.

As far as I can see, this leaves me 2-ish options. I think I prefer Option 1 (without Bluetooth). I've tried to be exhaustively explicit with the two options below, but sure would appreciate anyone showing me where I might be befuddled or run into trouble. Thanks again, all of you. Apologies for the length of this post.

OPTION 1:

1.Store music in 320 mbps mpeg files on an external hard drive.
-a second external hard drive will be needed to back up all music files in the event that the 1st external hard drive fails.

2. The external hard drive (from 1 above--does NOT have to be NAS?] is physically connected to a laptop (or desktop) running iTunes, which will organize the songs from the external hard drive so they can be searched by artist, song, genre or album name. iTunes will also facilitate the playing of any song. The laptop is connected to the home wireless network via the network settings in its operating system, Windows 8. The laptop also has Apple's "Air Play" installed on it so that it can stream songs selected for play to at least 3 Apple Airport Expresses (see 4 below) when requested to do so by the iPad (see 3 below).

-note that the laptop computer referenced above would have to be ON in order for the entire music playing system to work. A "wake on LAN function" (i.e. computer "wakes up" when something accesses the Local Area Network?) could save power and computer "wear", but it may make the laptop "do strange things".

The drive could be an external drive or an NAS...either would work. Also, AirPlay is not a separate "thing"...it is part of iTunes. There are some third party applications that allow you to stream other content from other sources to AirPlay device. One such application that I know of is AirFoil (http://www.rogueamoe...irfoil/windows/). It allows you to stream ANY audio from your computer.

3. A tablet, let's say an iPad--with the Apple "Remote" app installed on it--connects to the laptop (see 2 above) via the wireless home network. This connection enables the iPad to effectively control the entire laptop remotely. In this way, the tablet indirectly runs iTunes so that the songs on the external hard drive (1 above) can be searched, selected and played. Since the laptop (from 1 above) could simultaneously stream to 3 stereos (via 3 Airport Expresses, see below), one song could play over 3 stereos. It should be noted that 3 DIFFERENT songs could be NOT streamed to each of the 3 independent stereos (is this correct?).

For this option, it would HAVE to be an iPad (or some other iOS device such as an iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad Mini) if you want to use the Apple "Remote" app. Apple only makes the app for iOS devices. And it does not completely control the laptop/computer...it only controls iTunes on the computer.

There are, however, other apps/ways that will allow you to FULLY control the laptop, including iTunes. They will likely be less convenient to use than the Apple "Remote" app, but it would allow you to use an Android or Windows tablet.

I also believe there are Android apps that will do the same thing as the Apple "Remote" app. For example, this app seems to be serve the same function with iTunes: https://play.google....mlSZW1vdGUiXQ..

4. Each of the 3 stereos has an Apple "Airport Express"* box that are each connected to the home wireless network. Each "Airport Express" receives the music streamed to it by the laptop/iPad combination described above. Each "Airport Express" box has a 3.5mm output jack. Using a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter, the Airport Express is physically connected to a stereo receiver. When the input into which the "Airport Express" RCA adapter is selected on the receiver, the music will play through the speakers connected to that receiver. [Could also use Bluetooth transmitter on the iPad to connect to a stereo receiver that as a Bluetooth receiver plugged into one of its inputs. In this case, however, only 1 song would be available for play on 1 stereo at any given time and you'd have to switch the iPad's Bluetooth device connectivity in order for music to play on a given stereo.]

To my knowledge, a PS3 can stream media from another source, but I don't know if you can remotely control it. Thus, you might need to have a TV as well connected to each of the PS3s so that you can see the songs to select to play.

OPTION 2:

1. Store music in 320 mbps mpeg files on a NAS (Network Accessible Storage) external hard drive with DLNA server support. This device could be connected to the wireless home network so as to stream its music either by:

a) being physically plugged in to a USB port on a DLNA certified wireless router (physical connection better for speeds and reliability?) that supports USB connectivity (could it alternatively be connected to an Ethernet port on the router?)

B) being itself configured to transmit wirelessly to the network (is this possible/desirable?)

-a DLNA certified NAS hard drive may not support songs purchased through iTunes (i.e. AAC format), but some NAS devices MIGHT support AAC. Would be nice if this option existed, although majority of music will be from my CD collection.
-a second NAS external hard drive will be needed to back up all music files in the event that the 1st NAS external hard drive fails.

Most NAS devices are designed to connect to your network by an ethernet cable...but they can still be "accessed" wirelessly from WiFi devices (such as a laptop by WiFi or a tablet). A NAS would not typically support being accessed by way of a USB port (there are a few that do, to my knowledge). You could potentially connect an external USB drive to a router that supports acting as an DLNA server...but the router would need to provide/support that function.

FWIW, if the DLNA device/player does not support the AAC format, you can convert iTunes Store purchased AAC files into MP3 using iTunes (or other programs).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#16 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

BTW, if I get a chance, I will see if I can test the Wake On Lan function on my Windows desktop in sleep mode with iTunes and the Apple "Remote" app on one of my iOS devices.

I might not get to it for a few days, however.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#17 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 25 December 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

True. I wonder how well WOL works - in my experience, leaving it enabled tends to cause problems like the machine refusing to stay in sleep mode (waking up immediately) or turning on as soon as I turn it on. As a result, I have all of it disabled.

Dang it - I meant the machine turning on as soon as I turn it off. (turning on when I turn it on isn't a problem)
Spoiler

#18 User is offline   Socratease 

• Pip

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for all your help Smax. When the post-holiday shopping frenzy subsides a bit, maybe I'll find me a Best Buy buddy to recommend some specific products. Then, of course, I'll go home and buy cheaper online! Thanks all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users