PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Paying For 20mb Download Speed. Getting .7 Mb. Please Help - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paying For 20mb Download Speed. Getting .7 Mb. Please Help

#1 User is offline   interronator 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 23-December 12

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hello,
I have time warner and i'm paying for 20mb download speed and i'm getting .7 in return. This problem did not occur until 2 months after I upgraded my internet and i have not switched my computers security. Time warner has had their people come out and rewire everything but it has yet to be fixed. This also occurs all day and i have tried resetting my modem, multiple times actually, and the download speed remains stagnant. I'm asking for your assistance because I do not know what to do and Time Warner is useless from the constant failures that they have, which is about 6. Please help! Also my ping is anywhere from 77-110, when it was good it was at 33. my upload was 5 when it was good now it's 2.5.
0

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi, interronator, and welcome to the forums.

It's hard to say what we can do remotely that Warner technicians couldn't do in person, but we can try. Could you answer a few questions? If you don't understand a question, don't hesitate to ask me to reword it.

1) You said that you upgraded your Internet connection two months ago. From what? Was that also Warner? And what was the claimed and actually speed with that?

2) Do you have this problem with more than one computer?

3) How is the computer connected to the router? WiFi? Ethernet?

4) Please give us the make and model number of the modem and router?

Lincoln
0

#3 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 24 December 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

4) Please give us the make and model number of the modem and router?


4a) Do you have a router or is computer connected directly to the modem? If you do have a router, have you tried hooking the computer directly to the modem?
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#4 User is offline   interronator 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 23-December 12

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 24 December 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Hi, interronator, and welcome to the forums.

It's hard to say what we can do remotely that Warner technicians couldn't do in person, but we can try. Could you answer a few questions? If you don't understand a question, don't hesitate to ask me to reword it.

1) You said that you upgraded your Internet connection two months ago. From what? Was that also Warner? And what was the claimed and actually speed with that?

2) Do you have this problem with more than one computer?

3) How is the computer connected to the router? WiFi? Ethernet?

4) Please give us the make and model number of the modem and router?

Lincoln

Thank you for responding!
1) My previous internet was Time Warner's 10 Mb download speed and it was having the same problem as the 20Mb
2) There are about 4 computers in my house and they are all being affected the same way.
3) The computer that I primarily use is connected to the router through and Ethernet Cable
4) The router is a Linksys E3000 and the modem is an Arris Tg862

Thank you again for responding!
0

#5 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

View Postinterronator, on 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thank you for responding!
1) My previous internet was Time Warner's 10 Mb download speed and it was having the same problem as the 20Mb
2) There are about 4 computers in my house and they are all being affected the same way.
3) The computer that I primarily use is connected to the router through and Ethernet Cable
4) The router is a Linksys E3000 and the modem is an Arris Tg862

Thank you again for responding!


So this isn't a new problem? It just didn't go away when you upgraded your service. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Let me guess. You complained to Warner about the lousy speed, and they recommended you pay for more bandwidth. Is that what happened?

If that's the case, whoever made that suggestion was either a liar, ill-informed, or in a hurry to get you off the phone. Bandwidth that much lower than what you pay for is the result of a bottleneck, and a wider pipe before the bottleneck won't help.

Try these tests:

1) Take the router out of the equation. Plug your PC directly into the modem, and see if that helps. (Actually, I don't think you need a separate router with the Arris Tg862, which appears to be both a modem and a router.)

2) If that doesn't help, try replacing the Ethernet cable connecting the modem to the PC.

3) If that doesn't help, replace the coax cable between the wall and the modem.

4) If that doesn't help, insist that Warner replace your modem. If they didn't provide the modem in the first place, buy another one, yourself.

5) If none of these work, see if there are options beside Warner in your area.

Lincoln
0

#6 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postinterronator, on 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thank you for responding!
1) My previous internet was Time Warner's 10 Mb download speed and it was having the same problem as the 20Mb
2) There are about 4 computers in my house and they are all being affected the same way.
3) The computer that I primarily use is connected to the router through and Ethernet Cable
4) The router is a Linksys E3000 and the modem is an Arris Tg862

Thank you again for responding!


Try checking the router's firmware. There might be an update available for it.

A friend's Internet connection was doing something very similar. They had Comcast out a couple a times and they could not do anything with it. I went over to take a look at it. When I removed the router from the equation (i.e. connected the computer directly to the modem), they would get full speed. For the life of me, I could not figure out why the router was causing a problem...until I noticed there was a firmware update available. So, I decided the upgrade the router's firmware...and poof, there was full speed through the router.

I believe it was a Linksys E3000, but I am not 100% sure. It was certainly one of Linksys' newer routers.

So, as I mentioned (as well as Lincoln), try connecting the computer directly to the modem and see if that gets you full speed. If it does, then check to see if there is firmware upgrade. And if there is an upgrade for the router, try updating the firmware.
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#7 User is offline   interronator 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 23-December 12

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thank you for responding again and i will be trying these methods. I'll let you know what happens after i try all of these
0

#8 User is offline   mjd420nova 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,340
  • Joined: 05-August 06
  • Location:Fremont, California

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Was the modem provided by TW or did you buy it? I had a boatload of problems with the ISP provided modems failing and they won't replace them for free, you can buy theres or get your own. It has all the symptoms of a bad modem. In my experience, the modem is on its last legs and fail altogether shortly.
0

#9 User is offline   interronator 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 23-December 12

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 27 December 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

Was the modem provided by TW or did you buy it? I had a boatload of problems with the ISP provided modems failing and they won't replace them for free, you can buy theres or get your own. It has all the symptoms of a bad modem. In my experience, the modem is on its last legs and fail altogether shortly.

The linksys was something that i bought myself, the arris however was provided to me by time warner. The linksys is about 6 months old and the arris is about 2
0

#10 User is offline   Stevey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 178
  • Joined: 26-July 12

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 25 December 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

View Postinterronator, on 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thank you for responding!
1) My previous internet was Time Warner's 10 Mb download speed and it was having the same problem as the 20Mb
2) There are about 4 computers in my house and they are all being affected the same way.
3) The computer that I primarily use is connected to the router through and Ethernet Cable
4) The router is a Linksys E3000 and the modem is an Arris Tg862

Thank you again for responding!


So this isn't a new problem? It just didn't go away when you upgraded your service. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Let me guess. You complained to Warner about the lousy speed, and they recommended you pay for more bandwidth. Is that what happened?

If that's the case, whoever made that suggestion was either a liar, ill-informed, or in a hurry to get you off the phone. Bandwidth that much lower than what you pay for is the result of a bottleneck, and a wider pipe before the bottleneck won't help.

Try these tests:

1) Take the router out of the equation. Plug your PC directly into the modem, and see if that helps. (Actually, I don't think you need a separate router with the Arris Tg862, which appears to be both a modem and a router.)

2) If that doesn't help, try replacing the Ethernet cable connecting the modem to the PC.

3) If that doesn't help, replace the coax cable between the wall and the modem.

4) If that doesn't help, insist that Warner replace your modem. If they didn't provide the modem in the first place, buy another one, yourself.

5) If none of these work, see if there are options beside Warner in your area.

Lincoln

Whats bottleneck?
● Certified software analyst and programmer.
● Industrial hardware calibration and benchmarking professional.
● Franchisee framework administrator.
0

#11 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostStevey, on 09 January 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Whats bottleneck?


A "bottleneck" is some factor or "thing" that artificially limits your connection bandwidth/speed when your ISP connection might be capable of higher bandwidth/speed.

The term comes from a bottle. Think of how a bottle has a narrowing cross-section at the top (typically). So, now think of the fluid in that bottle. If the bottle did not narrow down at the "neck", then the fluid would pour from the bottle much faster than with the narrowed down "neck", right? To illustrate this, take a glass of the same approximate volume as a bottle and fill them up with water. Then at the same time, turn both over (ideally over a sink :) ). The glass empties of water faster than the bottle, right? This is because of the "narrowing" of the cross-section...i.e. the "neck". Thus, the term "bottleneck".

So, for Internet connections, if the original poster is paying for 20 Mbps download, but is only getting 0.7 Mbps, then something OTHER than the ISP service itself is likely "bottlenecking" the connection.

As classic example would be if someone only had 802.11b WiFi for a laptop. Since 802.11b has an absolute maximum throughput/bandwidth of 11 Mbps, then if that person had 20 Mbps ISP Internet service, they would be "wasting" money on that 20 Mbps connection since the 802.11b WiFi would limit your connection to 11 Mbps (realistically is actually more like 6 to 7 Mbps).
Good riddance PCWorld.
1

#12 User is offline   interronator 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Member
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 23-December 12

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

View Postsmax013, on 25 December 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

View Postinterronator, on 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Thank you for responding!
1) My previous internet was Time Warner's 10 Mb download speed and it was having the same problem as the 20Mb
2) There are about 4 computers in my house and they are all being affected the same way.
3) The computer that I primarily use is connected to the router through and Ethernet Cable
4) The router is a Linksys E3000 and the modem is an Arris Tg862

Thank you again for responding!


Try checking the router's firmware. There might be an update available for it.

A friend's Internet connection was doing something very similar. They had Comcast out a couple a times and they could not do anything with it. I went over to take a look at it. When I removed the router from the equation (i.e. connected the computer directly to the modem), they would get full speed. For the life of me, I could not figure out why the router was causing a problem...until I noticed there was a firmware update available. So, I decided the upgrade the router's firmware...and poof, there was full speed through the router.

I believe it was a Linksys E3000, but I am not 100% sure. It was certainly one of Linksys' newer routers.

So, as I mentioned (as well as Lincoln), try connecting the computer directly to the modem and see if that gets you full speed. If it does, then check to see if there is firmware upgrade. And if there is an upgrade for the router, try updating the firmware.


Sorry for the late response, i've been pretty busy lately. My laptop is always connected directly to the router and i still get the low download speed.
0

#13 User is offline   Stevey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 178
  • Joined: 26-July 12

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postsmax013, on 09 January 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

View PostStevey, on 09 January 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Whats bottleneck?


A "bottleneck" is some factor or "thing" that artificially limits your connection bandwidth/speed when your ISP connection might be capable of higher bandwidth/speed.

The term comes from a bottle. Think of how a bottle has a narrowing cross-section at the top (typically). So, now think of the fluid in that bottle. If the bottle did not narrow down at the "neck", then the fluid would pour from the bottle much faster than with the narrowed down "neck", right? To illustrate this, take a glass of the same approximate volume as a bottle and fill them up with water. Then at the same time, turn both over (ideally over a sink :) ). The glass empties of water faster than the bottle, right? This is because of the "narrowing" of the cross-section...i.e. the "neck". Thus, the term "bottleneck".

So, for Internet connections, if the original poster is paying for 20 Mbps download, but is only getting 0.7 Mbps, then something OTHER than the ISP service itself is likely "bottlenecking" the connection.

As classic example would be if someone only had 802.11b WiFi for a laptop. Since 802.11b has an absolute maximum throughput/bandwidth of 11 Mbps, then if that person had 20 Mbps ISP Internet service, they would be "wasting" money on that 20 Mbps connection since the 802.11b WiFi would limit your connection to 11 Mbps (realistically is actually more like 6 to 7 Mbps).

Wow...! Nice illustration and description, you must be a teacher I guess..-and the best one i've seen online yet...

This post has been edited by Stevey: 09 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

● Certified software analyst and programmer.
● Industrial hardware calibration and benchmarking professional.
● Franchisee framework administrator.
0

#14 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

View Postinterronator, on 09 January 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Sorry for the late response, i've been pretty busy lately. My laptop is always connected directly to the router and i still get the low download speed.


Have you tried any of the tests we suggested?

Lincoln
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users