Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Deletions Clearing disk space

#1 User is offline   FrederickMRuffer 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

I need to clear disk space on my primary drive and notice many Microsoft update programs in my "Add/Remove" section of the Control Panel. I also notice many "$Ntuninstall****** " and "$NtServicepackUninstall****" files under Windows. Can these be removed without harming the system? It just seems like Microsoft leaves so much junk behind!

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Yes, those can be removed, BUT you will no longer be able to remove the respective hotfixes. Additionally, you will leave registry entries behind that reference the nonexistent folders unless you remove those. (perhaps with CCleaner) http://www.tech-pro....ll-folders.html
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   FascistNation 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Wow, I don't see too many hard drive full problems anymore. I would define it as more than 75% full. I have seen people with up to 99% full. Personally it may mean you need a second drive.

Can examine drive with WinDirStat or Disk Space Fan to ID hog folders.

Run CCleaner. While there use its ability to uninstall apps you haven't used in years. While there remove unused restore points from System Restore. I'd save just one from about 3 months ago and CCleaner will insist you keep the latest. You don't need more.

Run PC Decrapifier and see if there are other apps (especially if they came with the PC) you don't use that you can lose.

Run Windows own cleaner, Disk Cleanup. I'd link to its instructions, but you can look it up on your own since you didn't state the OS.

Delete optional Windows components that you don't use.

Clean out any downloads folders on your boot drive.

Then defrag the drive using Windows Defrag. [not on SSDs]

Defrag the page file on the next boot. You can also go into Windows and manually restrict its size.

Run Windows Error Checking in case there is a bad sector problem slowing/filling the drive.

Can also run Soluto to tweak the system.

If the OS has been installed long enough over a prior OS then you can delete a file called windows.old too that contains the reset back to the old OS. If you really want you can also delete any CAB files you find. This will prevent the OS from finding a driver on the HDD on new devices, but usually I would rather provide the driver anyway. It will also require an OS disk present if you run SFC /scannow on a repair of the OS.

If HDD contains a small hidden partition from a big box maker with the OS on it and it is a old, now replaced OS that came with the PC the partition can be removed and nondestructively merged with the C: drive partition for a gain of 5-12Gb using GParted. If you are technologically versed and it is over a year old Win Vista or Win7 you can download a copy of the OS from MS digital river and get rid of an non updated version with old drivers that originally came with the PC on such a partition as well.

Let us know how you started out and what improvements you saw.

This post has been edited by FascistNation: 29 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Freedom's the Answer!
What's the Question?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users