PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Windows Live Mesh Will Be Shut Down On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Live Mesh Will Be Shut Down On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 discussion and information on alternatives

Poll: Windows Live Mesh (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use WLM in a mixed Mac PC environment?

1. Yes (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

How many devices on you https://devices.live.com/ page (not including skydrive)

1. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 3 to 5 (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 6 to 8 (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

4. 9 or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you think Microsoft should keep Windows Live Mesh running?

1. Yes (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Don't care (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cvolpe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have been using Windows Live Mesh to sync data between half a dozen computer and it has provided good service. I do appreciate a good free service and I am looking for a suitable replacement.

I have been searching for alternatives on the web, but nothing I have seen does it all.

I would be willing to participate in a beta test of an unannounced (free) product.

Chet

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Windows Live Skydrive now has a desktop client that syncs everything in the account to your local machine (I had been wondering why they had the separate area for Mesh). Dropbox works the same way, but with only 2GB to start with (you can add a LOT of space by referring other people - through that, the photo upload feature testing, and some other stuff, I now have 24GB). I think Google Drive is the same way (5GB though), but I haven't tested it yet.

Personally, I use Dropbox (I have 2 machines).

This post has been edited by LiveBrianD: 29 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postcvolpe, on 29 December 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

I have been using Windows Live Mesh to sync data between half a dozen computer and it has provided good service. I do appreciate a good free service and I am looking for a suitable replacement.

I have been searching for alternatives on the web, but nothing I have seen does it all.

I would be willing to participate in a beta test of an unannounced (free) product.

Chet

Do you use direct PC to PC syncing of files and/or of Office & Internet Explorer application settings? Or the Remote Desktop functions? Or the syncing of Office

If not, then there are plenty of other options including Microsoft's replacement SkyDrive, Dropbox, Box, SugarSync, etc for cloud storage that also syncs files between computers using the cloud storage.

There are other options if you want to sync your bookmarks.

I am not sure about other Office or IE application settings.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

I use Dropbox and so far so good but read Sugar Sync is quite good  with five gigabytes to begin with and up to 32 GB of additional space. Dropbox offers extra 32 GB only for Dropbox Pro accounts and they're paid.   

This post has been edited by Szczecinianin: 01 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

#5 User is offline   nathancalouro 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

Chet

The best quality of technology products and especially IT products is that they are quickly replaced by better alternatives. Not only Windows live mesh but also MSN and many services of yahoo will be shut down in 2013.

I don’t think anyone after a few years will need these things. All we can do is keep ourselves updated with the latest updates in the market.

#6 User is offline   cvolpe 

• Pip

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Chet

Thanks to all that have posted. After more research, I will be using Sugarsync - it provides the file sync between multiple machines/platforms. As I have about 80GB to sync, I will be using the pay option after a period of testing with the free 5GB.

Thanks,
Chet

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users