PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Power Through Schedules With 21 Google Calendar Tricks - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Power Through Schedules With 21 Google Calendar Tricks

#1 User is offline   PCWorld 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for Power through schedules with 21 Google Calendar tricks here

#2 User is offline   cmcfall 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I needed the capacity to share, as opposed to publish, a calendar. I looked at Google Calendar as an option, but as of last year, Google Calendar could not be broken up into 15 minute segments. Unfortunately, this was a deal breaker.

#3 User is offline   jcauseyfd 

• Pip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Trying the Next Meeting module, but it looks like it is only picking up the next event from my Master Calendar instead of all active calendars.

Thanks for all the tips!

#4 User is offline   coachmichael 

• Pip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

If Google Calender doesn't work for you, try ZOHO, it may have the 15min increments that you are looking for.

#5 User is offline   ianmcewan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Do you realize that Google stopped supporting Googly Sync and many of the Calendar functions on Dec 14th with zero warning? They also claimed that it would continue to work for existing users which is absolutely not true for syncing my Google Calendar to my Blackberry. So my advice would be to to forget these tips and go find yourselves another calendar. For more on this go to the Google groups calendar blog which is full of bitter complaints. Apparently you can't trust Google to care for customers. They have become the new 'evil empire'.

#6 User is offline   blurbpoint 

• Pip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

May be you are prepared for your plans , perhaps you have been on a calendar, but never on time.Though It really doesn't matter which approach you take on Google Calendar can fit your style.

#7 User is offline   stakeouttoo 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

Do you realize that Google stopped supporting Googly Sync and many of the Calendar functions on Dec 14th with zero warning? They also claimed that it would continue to work for existing users which is absolutely not true for syncing my Google Calendar to my Blackberry. So my advice would be to to forget these tips and go find yourselves another calendar. For more on this go to the Google groups calendar blog which is full of bitter complaints. Apparently you can't trust Google to care for customers. They have become the new 'evil empire'.

where can that Google Calendar Blog be found.. searched of all places on Google.. nada

#8 User is offline   MarineChief 

• PipPip

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

It may be considered a dinosaur now but I still use a desktop version of Palm calendar. It allows me to categorize entries (maintenance, doctors, travel, etc) so that I can limit the view or see it all, however I desire. I can schedule appointments in 5 minute increments or for all day. Another feature I like is the "find", where I type any word or number and get a return search of that instance wherever it occurs in calendar, memo, address or to-do locales. The only trouble I have with this program (and why I still look for a replacement that has similar, and easy-to-use, features) is that when I change timezones the calendar shifts all of my former entries by the two hour change. That problem hasn't been a major concern (more of an annoyance) but should you need time related info from a previous meeting you really must check the entry as opposed to relying on the time shown by the position on the calendar display (info IS correct within the entry - just not visually correct).

In the late eighties there was a free program distributed by either MS or Gateway (software included with computer purchase) simply called Calendar or Appointment (don't remember). That program was a mimic of the popular paper-based executive appointment scheduler binder type books that everyone seem to have a need for. The program did most everything you needed, kept good records that were searchable and had a very small footprint on the harddrive (which was a whopping 10MEG at that time - never did fill that hard drive). Too bad it's so danged hard to find something simply like that these days...

#9 User is offline   Gianni1962 

• Pip

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

where can that Google Calendar Blog be found.. searched of all places on Google.. nada

@stakeouttoo

He probably meant Forum not Blog

http://productforums...!forum/calendar

#10 User is offline   EmmaLeighD 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I needed the capacity to share, as opposed to publish, a calendar. I looked at Google Calendar as an option, but as of last year, Google Calendar could not be broken up into 15 minute segments. Unfortunately, this was a deal breaker.

If you go to "edit event" you can manually enter any time you would like. The drop down menu only allows you to select 30 minute segments.

#11 User is offline   TriciaWeight 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Not sure if this was ever resolved.
If you go into the settings of a Calendar you have the option to change the default duration of a meeting that you didn't include an ending time on. The default is set for one hour, but 15 minutes is an option in the dropdown menu to change the default to. Once you save the change the Calendar will schedule all appts you enter with a start time but no end time as 15 minutes.

#12 User is offline   Transaction72 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Sometimes I can get a good intuitive entry screen for new appointments in Google Calendar but most of the time all I can get into is a very clunky one, and I may be old (and do have an uncorrectable vision problem) but most of the time cannot get the easy "new appointment" screen tht has "save" or "save and close" at the end.
Also find re-entering address and telephone, needed her for public transit, each time a pain. Any advice?

#13 User is offline   aptly10 

• Pip

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Google Calendars, once rock-solid reliable, has quite suddenly become unstable and no-one from Google will respond to requests to combat its poor performance. Use it at your peril.
In my case, 15 months of previous events (Oct 2011 to Dec 2012) dramatically disappeared - with no help from me - never to return. As well, EVERY ONE of my repeated events (birthdays etc for the previous 5 and next 10 years) escaped into the ether, without so much as a goodbye.

I can't live with such uncertainty - nor such silence from its Google promoters.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users