Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Legacy Programs running legacy programs on Windows 8

#1 User is offline   thos38 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

OK. I got it. I can't transfer an eMachine vendor installed Windows XP Home Edition op sys (its not a retail copy) into a new home built Ivy Bridge system that will run Windows 8. Is there now or is it likely there will ever be a Win 8 Add-On that will run legacy programs written for Win XP and prior systems? From what I have read, a dual-boot configuration is not possible since I do not have a 'retail' copy of XP on CD. My intent is to scrap the eMachine - except for recycling the case, hard drives and CD/DVD periphferals.

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

View Postthos38, on 08 January 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

OK. I got it. I can't transfer an eMachine vendor installed Windows XP Home Edition op sys (its not a retail copy) into a new home built Ivy Bridge system that will run Windows 8. Is there now or is it likely there will ever be a Win 8 Add-On that will run legacy programs written for Win XP and prior systems? From what I have read, a dual-boot configuration is not possible since I do not have a 'retail' copy of XP on CD. My intent is to scrap the eMachine - except for recycling the case, hard drives and CD/DVD periphferals.

Hi thos38, and welcome to the forums.
Can you be more specific about which "legacy programs? I only ask because Windows 8 does a good job running most of them but it can't handle many older custom built apps, especially if they're 16-bit.

I've experimented with MS Office, v 2000, 2003, 2007, and 2010, with no problems. I use Nero 5 for disc burning duties, and Photoshop CS2 for image editing. My old HP Laserjet 1320tn installed without a hickup. I had trouble with the betas and Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 but they provided a free upgrade path to v10 and it has worked flawlessly with standard DVDs and Blue-ray. So far my experience has been very positive but as you can see I'm not running any customs applications.

This post has been edited by compnovo: 09 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   Stevey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Your emachine doesn't work anymore?

This post has been edited by Stevey: 09 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

● Certified software analyst and programmer.
● Industrial hardware calibration and benchmarking professional.
● Franchisee framework administrator.

#4 User is offline   thos38 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

View Postcompnovo, on 09 January 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Can you be more specific about which "legacy programs? I only ask because Windows 8 does a good job running most of them but it can't handle many older custom built apps, especially if they're 16-bit.

I've experimented with MS Office, v 2000, 2003, 2007, and 2010, with no problems. I use Nero 5 for disc burning duties, and Photoshop CS2 for image editing. My old HP Laserjet 1320tn installed without a hickup. I had trouble with the betas and Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 but they provided a free upgrade path to v10 and it has worked flawlessly with standard DVDs and Blue-ray. So far my experience has been very positive but as you can see I'm not running any customs applications.

#5 User is offline   thos38 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

View Postthos38, on 09 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

View Postcompnovo, on 09 January 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

#6 User is offline   thos38 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Repling to compnovo:
Your remarks offer hope, at least for some programs. I could perhaps be overly sensitized to the frequent editoials that old programs will not run on the newer operating systems. I do want to keep my Office XP Professional Suite. Its fully adequate and its paid for. Other programs I am attached to or do not care to abandon include - Punch Home Design (Punch! Software), Calendar Creator Plus (SoftKey Intl), PaperMaster file mgmt with its cabinet/drawer graphic theme (DocuMagix), MS Flight Simulator 5, MS Trains, and my Brother 490MFC four-function printer/scanner/fax. Actually, looking at the rest of a lengthy list of programs and utilities, most can be replaced with free or reasonably priced alternatives.
Thank you for your input. I'll do more homework. Dropping XP could be easier than previously thought.

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Your printer is compatible btw: http://welcome.solut...os=120&type2=-1

Office XP should work as well, though I've heard outlook tends to have problems.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#8 User is offline   thos38 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Replying to Stevey:
My eMachine does still work. However it is a vintage 2004 eMachine T3882 with a Celeron D 335 CPU. The motherboard is maxed out at 2GB RAM.. It has no PCIe (PCI Express) or USB 3 connectivity. Even in 2004 it was a 'budget' PC. Any tasks like video that needs graphics processing is sluggish because it needs to 'borrow' CPU memory to work. That slows everything down. Internet is also extremely sluggish in spite of an 11Mb/s cable service. But - - Its a good looking case that will house a new Gigabyte Z77 microATX board and IvyBridge CPU. And with upgraded ventilation and power supply, I'll have a great system for DVR and HD video projects. This is a new life for an old outmoded box. Thank you for your interest.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users