• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building/buying 3tb Raid Storage

#1 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

A friend of mine is looking to replace her failed 3TB external disk (Seagate) 1. We're both annoyed it died so fast, 2. data recovery is cutting into the budget also.

I want to put her on an external RAID disk, but they're expensive to buy straight from a brand name. Looking at all seller options for name brands and for building an external array as well, Raid 1 is fine, but if the price is right I'm up for Raid5.

Any thoughts?
Even the experts started out as beginners

#2 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't have much experience with this, but one thing's for sure - I do NOT recommend Lacie (I had a NAS from them, and it failed).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#3 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

View Postcrazy4laptops, on 11 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

A friend of mine is looking to replace her failed 3TB external disk (Seagate) 1. We're both annoyed it died so fast, 2. data recovery is cutting into the budget also.

I want to put her on an external RAID disk, but they're expensive to buy straight from a brand name. Looking at all seller options for name brands and for building an external array as well, Raid 1 is fine, but if the price is right I'm up for Raid5.

Any thoughts?

What is your budget?

What kind of interface do you want? I am assuming USB 2.0, but you know what happens when you assume.

What usable capacity?
(note: in many cases the stated capacity of RAID drives is the capacity for both drives total...i.e. if you use it as RAID 0...you typically need to cut the stated value in half if RAID 1...but you will need to double check for the specific drive)

If you want to keep it in the $200 to $400 range, then you are likely looking at RAID 1 only. To get RAID 5, you need three disks in the RAID drive and that likely will mean $500 or more.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Here is my personal suggestion. Build a dirt cheap NAS box. Use a micro-ATX/ ITX board, like this little foxconn here. Slap on a Pentium dual core chip, about 2~4GB of ram, three hard drives of choice, and then use FREE NAS.

You get all the benefits of RAID, in a completely open, unbound system. Motherboard dies? Replace it with whatever you want. Need to expand your data pool? Slap in a new drive. and so on.

If you really want to go raid, then by all means, go for it. I would suggest AMD A-series systems in that case though.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users