Anatomy Of A Pc Crash: 7 Scenarios, And How To Avoid Them
Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:13 PM
Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:13 AM
Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:29 AM
A fragmented hard drive shouldn't cause a BSOD.
In my 20+ years of PC hands-on experience, most BSODs I've encountered resulted from a misbehaving or incorrect driver (often times crashing during startup or low-power standby), 16-bit operating systems like Windows 98 (those were the pits - by design), failing power supplies (don't go cheap!), and failing motherboard capacitors (though rare nowadays with decent boards). I've only encountered a single bad memory module way back in the early '90s with a 72-pin SIMM.
Windows drivers caused most of the BSODs. Updating or replacing them fixes the issue. AHCI/IDE drivers immediately come to mind.
As for McAfee, LOL - I've seen systems run better with malware on them than McAfee Antivirus!
As for that pathetic Windows 8 blue screen... sad.
Abort, Retry, Epic Fail? _
Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:43 PM
Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:50 AM
Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:03 PM
Most registry fixers CAUSE more problems. If you are going to play with stuff like that, just uninstall apps with Revo.
Hardware issues in Device Manager? Do not play with IRQs, that is DOS. PnP is almost 20 years old. If you see a non-working device in Device Manager, uninstall it, reboot and see if the reinstall by the PC corrects it.
Now if this article is aimed at a novive-mid-level, then they are not going to try cleaning their PCs, let alone reapplying thermal paste. And if they are pros, there is nothing new in this article.
Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM
The hardware issues identified are valid, especially the section on heat.
If people were to ditch Windows they're life would be a lot simpler and a whole lot less expensive. I haven't purchased an application in 14 years as everything I use is open source. Admittedly, I write software professionally for a living and now concentrate on the Linux market, but I find that most people can get along just fine on a stock Linux distribution that contains the usual assortment of web browsers, email clients, etc.
Folks, give Linux a serious try by finding a local Linux person to get you started. In about an hour you'll feel at home on a Linux system. No kidding.
Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:04 PM
Amen! They are modern day snake oil and down right dangerous in the hands of people w/o a good understanding of the registry and OS. Dont believe me or the other poster, google the Microsoft whitepaper authored by one of the senior engineers irrc.using them ais all risk and no reward.
In my experience 80 percent of the time a BSOD or lockup is the result of a bad driver.the other 20 percent is bad hardware - video card, hard drive, memory
Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:28 PM
Even the BSOD wouldn't 'load' properly, it was a blur as the screen went sideways and the system rebooted in an endless loop. Only the original system disc doing a clean install got around the problem. Very big SIGH!
Where were the gurus then? On a coffee break one presumes.SIGH and double-SIGH!!
Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:07 PM
Wise Disk Cleaner is fine, but I have used Wise Reg Clean in the past, and it scared me--too easy for a novice to screw things up. Check others here on PC World, and of course, remember to back up before screwing with your registry.
Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:43 AM
McAfee is not a virus, it is a security suite. McAfee probably didn't detect it because the program does not have a very high detection rate.