Here, on my Pentium 4 XP Pro machine, Mozilla actually wrecked one of my video uploads because I wasn't using Reader XI. It didn't tell me that was why. When I went into the add-ons, I learned the Java was disabled by Mozilla (so why didn't Java update get signaled instead), and that it refused to run my very stable Adobe 9.5. So, stupid person that I am, I upgraded the add-ons.
Finally was able to upload my video without Mozilla attacking its process, but then my Acrobat no longer worked, and my other pdf-converter software no longer worked. Machine hung, mouse hung, took hours to reboot and retry and reset, as we all go through -- until finally, I uninstalled XI from my machine by normal procedures.
But that left a mess behind. Cleaned the registry, and now my Acrobat 9 won't work properly, nor does my other pdf-creating software.
So, I switched to my Win7 machine, and while this time the mouse didn't crash, my PREVIOUSLY (month- ago) INSTALLED Adobe XI Reader itself wouldn't work. Kept on freezing at startup, all of a sudden. Couldn't get rid of the splash screen. And now my other pdf-creating software won't read Word doc hyperlinks in conversion.
In short, the problem with Reader XI varies by machine, but if you have other pdf creating software on that machine, suddenly you can't convert your hyperlinks in pdf, or that other software won't work, even if Acrobat.
Another variation: Acrobat suddenly can't convert quickly. In short, not only is its hyperlink conversion utility disabled, but it slows down to an all-night affair to convert a 150-page document.
I've still not been able to solve the problem. I hate to say it, but it looks like Adobe is introducing changes which disable competing pdf-creating software -- even its own earlier versions of kindred software like Acrobat. This is why I stayed on 9.5 of Reader, and will reinstall it again now. If I have to lose Mozilla Firefox in the process, too bad. I need to create pdfs for Government filings. The browser is dispensable. It's sick, that the browser will dictate to you what pdf converter you use. So the 'middle' alternative is to have no pdf reader capability within Firefox, so I can at least still use it for some things.
There are other reports on the internet about Reader XI freezing the machine, so I thought I'd post here in case anyone found a workaround. Thank you.
PS: computing shouldn't have to be this hard. What with the Win8 debacle, Corel and Adobe and Mozilla being progressively more glitchy, it's getting too hard to use a Windows-based machine. Mind you, I'm not even using Win8 yet.
This post has been edited by brainout: 22 January 2013 - 01:10 PM