• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows8-network Question

#1 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

I had to buy a new router and my old router the network was called say My Network with my new router I just used the same name so now my pc reads it as My Network 2. I know it Windows7 you can change and manage networks but how can you do that in Windows8? Anyway I can change it and delete one? My WiFi on my old router wont send the signal so I cant tell my pc Forget this Network using the networks list(connect). This it not a issue everything works fine it is just bugging me and giving my OCD so any help would be great.

Thanks

I have a small business where we fix and set up computers and networks for home users and businesses. I have Certifications in Information Technology and CNSS. My business just got certified with Microsoft and Apple. I have six partners that work with me and make us who we are where we say "Yes we can fix that and it is not fixed until it's Mlyo pc fixed".

If you would like to know more about me or my company feel free to send me a message and I will be more then happy to talk with you.

Erik
Mylo Corp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Sony VAIO E Series laptop
  • Intel Core i5-2450M Dual Core Processor 3MB
  • 2.50Ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Technalogy up to 3.10Ghz
  • Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • 240GB Samsung Solid State disk drive
  • Windows8 64bit

#2 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi Ericuse,
I had to do some googling since I haven't tried this on my Win8 systems yet, and the best I can come up with is to right-click the network icon in the systray, select "Open Network and Sharing Center", click "Change adapter settings", right-click the adapter, then select "Rename".
Some of the posts I've seen claim this will only change the name of the adapter, while others say it will also change the network name. Clearly, your results may vary and you may lose your wi-fi connection, so I would proceed with caution.

This post has been edited by compnovo: 27 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#3 User is offline   Ericuse165 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

That just changed the adapter name but I found a fix and how do manage network profiles in Windows 8. I changed the name of my router to Network 2 I used that for a few hours then I changed it back to what I wanted the name to be so again I changed the name in the router to Network. In Command Prompt I typed netsh wlan delete profile name="Network 2 and that is how I fixed it. More information on how to manage network profiles in Windows 8
I have a small business where we fix and set up computers and networks for home users and businesses. I have Certifications in Information Technology and CNSS. My business just got certified with Microsoft and Apple. I have six partners that work with me and make us who we are where we say "Yes we can fix that and it is not fixed until it's Mlyo pc fixed".

If you would like to know more about me or my company feel free to send me a message and I will be more then happy to talk with you.

Erik
Mylo Corp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Sony VAIO E Series laptop
  • Intel Core i5-2450M Dual Core Processor 3MB
  • 2.50Ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Technalogy up to 3.10Ghz
  • Intel HD Graphics 300
  • 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
  • 240GB Samsung Solid State disk drive
  • Windows8 64bit

#4 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Glad you fixed it, and thanks for that link.
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#5 User is offline   orlbuckeye 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostEricuse165, on 27 January 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

I had to buy a new router and my old router the network was called say My Network with my new router I just used the same name so now my pc reads it as My Network 2. I know it Windows7 you can change and manage networks but how can you do that in Windows8? Anyway I can change it and delete one? My WiFi on my old router wont send the signal so I cant tell my pc Forget this Network using the networks list(connect). This it not a issue everything works fine it is just bugging me and giving my OCD so any help would be great.

Thanks

Most routers have software that runs where you can change the name of the network. You do this my typing in the IP address of the router. This is usually shown in the documentation for the router. Not some internet provider's like the new Roadrunner Lightning I get from Bright House networks has the modem and the router combined. I got the documentation from the device (Motorola) and I get to the login page and the username and PW don't work ( the PW shown in the manual) so it looks like Bright House won't let me change settings on the router.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB with Jelly Bean 4.1.2
Samsung Galaxy SIII - AT&T 16 GB with 32 SSD GB Android 4.3

[A} Acer Aspire V5-571P-6648
Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i3
8 GB DDR3 1066 RAM will upgrade to 8GB soon
High-definition widescreen 15.6" LED-backlit with multitouch support (1366 x 768)
500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Intel® HD Graphics 3000 128 MB
Blacklit Keyboard
5.5 pounds
Windows 8 Pro

Acer Aspire AS8950G-9839
Intel Core i7 2630QM (2.0GHZ) 16 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
18.4" (1920 x 1080)
240 GB OCZ Agility SSD, 750 GB 5400 RPM BD Combo
Added Intel 6200 Wireless Card
AMD Radeon HD 6850M 2GB DDR3 VRAM
Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate

Acer Aspire 9810
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor
T7200/T7400/T7600 with (4 MB L2 cache, 2.0/2.16/2.33 GHz)
4 GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory(dual-channel support)
NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 with 256 MB of external GDDR2 VRAM
20.1" WSXGA+ high-brightness (300-nit) Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD, 1680 x 1050 pixel resolution

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users