PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Confused, Transfering Music From Mp3 Player To Ipod? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Confused, Transfering Music From Mp3 Player To Ipod?

#1 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I am a novice indeed when it comes to doing anything other than the basics on my computer. So, my husband comes home w/ a MP3 player that's full of music he didn't download or want. He then got a ipod and wants to clean up the MP3 player and download from a program, (not sure which one, LastFM and Pandora rate highest) music he likes onto the player and then transfer to the Ipod.

Do we need to go through transfering from one player to the other or can a person just download onto the Ipod? I'm not aware of the legalities.

We can't spend alot of money buying music and have no idea how to go about this. We did download Itunes but I'm not sure I like it because of the confusion. We need something simple.

Does anyone have any idea how we can go about this? Any help is deeply appreciated..

I have Win/7 with I.E. 9 . The current programs I have installed are 1) Apple Software 2) Pandora internet radio 3) Windows media center and player. I hope I've provided you with enough info. to help you answer.

In advance.. a big thank you
Janisum

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi, Janisum.

I don't believe you can move music directly from the MP3 player (which I'm assuming isn't an Apple device) and an iPod. However, you can probably plug the MP3 player into your PC and, treating it like a flash drive, copy the files to your hard drive. If the music is in the form of .mp3 files, you can move the songs into iTunes on your PC, then sync iTunes to the iPod to get the music on that.

If the music is in the form of unprotected .wma files, iTunes can convert it to Apple's own format, but with some loss in quality. If the files are protected, they won't work on iTunes or an iPod. (Unless, of course, you bought the songs from Apple; in which case they won't work on anything else.)

I generally recommend .mp3s because they'll play on anything.

About acquiring music: If you're unwilling to spend money or break the law, your options are limited. If you have a CD collection, you can easily rip the songs off of them to mp3s. If you have LPs, it's possible, but difficult.

There's free music you can acquire legally (not from Pandora; that's streaming, only). Archive.org has a lot of public domain music, and an incredible selection of Grateful Dead concerts (yeah, I'm showing my age). You can also find legal free music at various web sites, including Amazon. But you're limited to what's being given away.

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users