PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Cpu & Fans Turn On,but The Computer Doesn't Boot - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cpu & Fans Turn On,but The Computer Doesn't Boot

#1 User is offline   B6 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Hello,
First of all,I saw that there's a topic similar to this one,but my situation is abit different.
Now,the problem is that it doesn't boot up when I turn it on,I replaced the CPU & CPU Fan with other one because the old one had an issue's with turning on...

So when I turn on the computer now,the CPU & all the fans turns on,but it doesn't make the bip sound and it doesn't show anything on the screen.

And I dunno what is the problem,I've tried to boot it up without the gpu and connected the screen to the motherboard's in-built video card and still nothing.
So,can somebody help me with it ?

Thank you,
B6.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. It isn't booting because it isn't posting. Having said that, I would go back and recheck the CPU and see that it is installed in the socket correctly. The CPU has two notches in it. The sockey has two matching nubs that would fit into the notches of the CPU. That is done to insure the correct placement of the CPU, but I have seen them in wrong. I am assuming you took the plastic cover off of the CPU before you installed it ? I have seen that done as well.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   B6 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

Thank you and thanks for the fast respond,and I've checked the cpu and everything is alright,so I replaced it with another cpu I found in my room,and tried to turn it up,
and it did boot up and it showed the logo of the company who made the motherboard and all,but it didn't turned on the cpu,
I mean,everytime I turn on the pc,I hear the cpu turning on,but now,I don't hear it,I just hear some noise of something repeating that sounds like a disk or a wave of a sound ..
does it mean that the pc is trying to turn on the cpu but fails ?

This post has been edited by B6: 28 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Ok. First, You don't have a CPU problem. If you are getting the LOGO of the Motherboard Company, then you are getting through POST. If it isn't booting after posting then that would almost have to be the hard drive. The CPU is the processor and you rarely have trouble with them. They may over heat and cause the machine to shut down, but there is no sound associated with the CPU, just the CPU fan, maybe. You should get a beep sound at post. A single beep is fine. Anything else is not so good. Ther info on your computer is sketchy and would help. Also the processors you have used and the Motherboard Number and manufacturer.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

If it boots with a swapped CPU, then the CPU is bad. Check it over with a magnifying glass and look really close at the pins. I've seen more than one folded over and that spells DEAD. I have resoldered pins back on but it's not dependable.

#6 User is offline   B6 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

It does respond with a (single) beep and my proccecor doesn't have any pins,its flat.

but there is no sound associated with the CPU, just the CPU fan, maybe

I tried to recognize where the sound came from and found out it came from the side of the proccecor,
I replaced the cpu fan with other model and it still makes the same sound.

This post has been edited by B6: 28 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

In that case, you don't have any bent pins on the socket on the motherboard, do you?
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#8 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

One other thing, I'm wondering how you determined you were having problems with the CPU orginally.

#9 User is offline   B6 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 28 January 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

In that case, you don't have any bent pins on the socket on the motherboard, do you?

The motherboard does have pins,but the cpu itself,doesn't.

View Postcoastie65, on 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

One other thing, I'm wondering how you determined you were having problems with the CPU orginally.

What you mean ?
If you mean installing it,then none.
I guess,the motherboard itself has an issue powering up the CPU,'cause I've left it for a bit and noticed that it did power up the cpu and the computer turned on,but the it couldn't find the hard disk,
I tried powering it up with other kinds of hard disk(few with SATA and few with ATA) and he couldn't find any of them.

#10 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Theres some other issues afoot on this. The BIOS first must have hardware agreement with the installed hardware, if not, it spends inordinate amounts of time looking and diagnosing the fault and comes up with the error code. Adjustments to the BIOS to match the drive parameters or setting it to autoseek any drives. Is this a new symptom with a good processor??

#11 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostB6, on 29 January 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 28 January 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

The motherboard does have pins,but the cpu itself,doesn't.

View Postcoastie65, on 28 January 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

What you mean ?
If you mean installing it,then none.
I guess,the motherboard itself has an issue powering up the CPU,'cause I've left it for a bit and noticed that it did power up the cpu and the computer turned on,but the it couldn't find the hard disk,
I tried powering it up with other kinds of hard disk(few with SATA and few with ATA) and he couldn't find any of them.

What I meant was how you determined it was a CPU issue as you changed it out.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users