Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bluetooth On Printer

#1 User is offline   isr1 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hello, I am a not a techie in computers, but not a novice either. Can you help me in converting my hp m1120 mfp into a bluetooth printer? I have a desktop connected to it, and a laptop which connects to the printer via network through workgroup. However, I have to start the pc to print from the laptop. I can use a print server, I know. But what about making the printer bluetooth enabled. I tried a few things.
1. I got a usb B male to usb A female adapter, and attached a bluetooth dongle to it on the printer,but it won't light up. Then I understood that the printer won't supply power to the usb port. So my option is to get power supply to the dongle from outside wall. I attached a usb hub to a usb wall charger (which I use to charge my mobile) and attached the dongle to it. But I didn't see the light coming up. But when I attached a usb speaker or usb light for laptop, they are working. Then why is it the bluetooth is not receiving power from the hub. The bluetooth works when I insert it into a usb port on pc.
2. If at all I can get the bluetooth light up, when attached to the printer, will it make the printer bluetooth enabled, and make my laptop discover it?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postisr1, on 28 January 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Hello, I am a not a techie in computers, but not a novice either. Can you help me in converting my hp m1120 mfp into a bluetooth printer? I have a desktop connected to it, and a laptop which connects to the printer via network through workgroup. However, I have to start the pc to print from the laptop. I can use a print server, I know. But what about making the printer bluetooth enabled. I tried a few things.
1. I got a usb B male to usb A female adapter, and attached a bluetooth dongle to it on the printer,but it won't light up. Then I understood that the printer won't supply power to the usb port. So my option is to get power supply to the dongle from outside wall. I attached a usb hub to a usb wall charger (which I use to charge my mobile) and attached the dongle to it. But I didn't see the light coming up. But when I attached a usb speaker or usb light for laptop, they are working. Then why is it the bluetooth is not receiving power from the hub. The bluetooth works when I insert it into a usb port on pc.
2. If at all I can get the bluetooth light up, when attached to the printer, will it make the printer bluetooth enabled, and make my laptop discover it?

To my knowledge, the printer must support printing by Bluetooth...either by a specific Bluetooth adapter or by a built-in Bluetooth system.

And nothing that I can see on the HP page for that printer model suggests that it supports printing by Bluetooth.

So, it would seem that either you stick with printer sharing and deal with the hassle of having to have the desktop PC turned on OR get some sort of a device with a built-in print server such as a router (many routers have built-in print servers that allow you to print over the network to a printer connected to the USB port on the router), NAS (many NAS devices support printing across the network to a printer connected to a USB port on the NAS device), or a dedicated print server device.

For example, I have my old HP LaserJet 6MP connect to the USB port on my router by way of a parallel port to USB cable (the 6MP was pre-USB ports). I can then print to it from any of my computers.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hi, isr1, and welcome to the forum.

There's another, low-tech solution. When you want to print from the laptop, just carry it into the room with the printer and plug it in.

That's what we do. Our ink jet isn't plugged into any computer most of the time. If someone in the house wants to print from it, they have to carry their laptop into my office, plug in the printer's USB cable, and print.

We also have a laser printer, which is network-capable and printable from any computer in the house. I think it's a good idea to make it more of a hassle to use the printer with obscenely expensive ink. Posted Image

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

In my case, my family uses a networked laser printer, but my mom's work laptop has a VPN and thus can't see the local network. Not a problem - I plugged a USB cable into it and put it on the desk, and she plugs that in when she needs to print.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#5 User is offline   isr1 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I am afraid I have to set aside the bluetooth option for the time being. However I would like to try whether a bluetooth hub would be of any help.
Any ideas there?

#6 User is offline   Szczecinianin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hi and welcome,

And why stick to Bluetooth when IR or Wi-Fi  is an option, too? And I saw the specs and remote printing is impossible as USB 2.0 HS is the only connection this device has. People also complain the scanner doesn't work in an online mode. Buy a better stuff, maybe wifi.  

#7 User is offline   pstviewer 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

How is it possible Bluetooth on printer.??

#8 User is offline   Hydro77 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

Why don't you get one of these for it?

http://img.tomshardw...bt1300-back.jpg

It is an HP Bluetooth printer adapter. There is a bluetooth symbol at the bottom left of the device, showing that it is compatible.

It is called the hp bt1300.
Intel i7 3820 ( OC'd to 4.8 GHz ) -- 3 x Gainward GTX 780's 3GB Superclocked -- Asus X79 Sabertooth Motherboard -- G-Skill Ripjawz 16GB 2400MHz Ram -- Cooler Master HAF X 942 Full tower -- Corsair H110 Water cooler -- Corsair HX1050V2 80+GOLD 1050 watt PSU -- Pioneer Blu-Ray drive -- WD Black 2TB -- 2 x Samsung 128GB 840 PRO Series SSD's (RAID 0) -- Bitefnix Fan controller -- Creative X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB Sound Card -- Windows 8 64-bit -- Samsung S27B550 27" 1080p Monitor -- Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard -- Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse

#9 User is offline   Hydro77 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

View Postpstviewer, on 24 July 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

How is it possible Bluetooth on printer.??

There are bluetooth printers, it is possible.
Intel i7 3820 ( OC'd to 4.8 GHz ) -- 3 x Gainward GTX 780's 3GB Superclocked -- Asus X79 Sabertooth Motherboard -- G-Skill Ripjawz 16GB 2400MHz Ram -- Cooler Master HAF X 942 Full tower -- Corsair H110 Water cooler -- Corsair HX1050V2 80+GOLD 1050 watt PSU -- Pioneer Blu-Ray drive -- WD Black 2TB -- 2 x Samsung 128GB 840 PRO Series SSD's (RAID 0) -- Bitefnix Fan controller -- Creative X-FI Surround 5.1 PRO USB Sound Card -- Windows 8 64-bit -- Samsung S27B550 27" 1080p Monitor -- Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard -- Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse

#10 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

A good example if the HP C5520 all in one unit. USB driver but with a BT adapter port on the from and a dongle to plug in. Very handy for the secure laptop needing printer use without network access. Most newer laptops, notebooks, netbooks, tablets ETC. have BT besides WIFI.

#11 User is offline   Hydro77 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

View Postmjd420nova, on 25 July 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

A good example if the HP C5520 all in one unit. USB driver but with a BT adapter port on the from and a dongle to plug in. Very handy for the secure laptop needing printer use without network access. Most newer laptops, notebooks, netbooks, tablets ETC. have BT besides WIFI.

I Really want to upgrade to a HP Printer with bluetooth, it will be so much easier to print things.

This post has been edited by Hydro77: 26 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users