PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Computer Repair Services - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer Repair Services Whom should I call for advice re: very slow computer?

#1 User is offline   Bill45 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Dear Friends,

My Dell Inspiron 530 computer has been running very slow for wks. I would have called someone by now except for chronic illness (not looking for sympathy here!) But now it is extremely slow at times and fast at other times. But the problem occurs too often to blame it on anything but my computer or Windows Vista Home Premium. I really think it's the computer. I keep my cache, cookies, etc cleared. In the past couple of yrs I have called Dell Tech Support for assistance, but after each of the 3 most recent calls my computer was worse than before I called. I have heard Geek Squad is good for telephone or in-home help. Do you agree, or would you recommend someone else?

Thank you very much,

Bill

#2 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

How much RAM are you running? The web says this model normally shipped w/ 2GB, is that true for this machine?

Here are some speed up tips... http://www.pcworld.c...dows_vista.html
and http://www.pcworld.c...everything.html .

Some of these tips may require computer skills beyond the "User" level.

Hope this helps.

#3 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi, Bill. Sorry to hear about your computer problems, and--even more so--your health problems.

See Very Slow PC for some advice about doing it yourself.

If you're not up to doing it yourself, you may want to find someone local who can fix it. I generally find that freelancers with their own business do a better job than Dell or Geek Squad.

Lincoln

#4 User is offline   Bill45 

• PipPip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostElfBane, on 04 February 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

How much RAM are you running? The web says this model normally shipped w/ 2GB, is that true for this machine?

Here are some speed up tips... http://www.pcworld.c...dows_vista.html
and http://www.pcworld.c...everything.html .

Some of these tips may require computer skills beyond the "User" level.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ElfBane. I may try the suggestions in the second link, tho I am just at the "user" level!
And yes, I am running 2GB RAM.

This post has been edited by Bill45: 04 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

#5 User is offline   Bill45 

• PipPip

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 04 February 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Hi, Bill. Sorry to hear about your computer problems, and--even more so--your health problems.

If you're not up to doing it yourself, you may want to find someone local who can fix it. I generally find that freelancers with their own business do a better job than Dell or Geek Squad.

Lincoln

Lincoln, I clicked on your link for Very Slow PC and downloaded the first suggested item. I ended up getting [Safe?]Blue pcspeedup and got the free scan.
Then I was offered a tweaking system for free if I bought the basic software for $29.95. Does this sound right to you? Thanks!

#6 User is offline   Bill45 

• PipPip

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostBill45, on 06 February 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

View PostLincolnSpector, on 04 February 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Lincoln

Lincoln, I clicked on your link for Very Slow PC and downloaded the first suggested item. I ended up getting [Safe?]Blue pcspeedup and got the free scan.
Then I was offered a tweaking system for free if I bought the basic software for $29.95. Does this sound right to you? Thanks!

P.S.
Later I ran a full system scan with Norton, which reportedly found and fixed 35 risks, cleaned a number of IE temp files, & cleared 6 MB of disk space. Now the puter is humming along!

#7 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostBill45, on 06 February 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Actually, that doesn't sound right. The first product I recommend in that article is SuperAntiSpyware. I haven't even heard of Blue pc speedup.

Lincoln

#8 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

There must be hundreds of PC speedup routines, programs and just as many that are scams. You can find them online and advertised on the tube. I'm not into allowing someone (or anyone) access to my PC. The advice would be to spend some time with the users manual and help tips. Above all, make a backup recovery disk(s) to insure that anything you change can be undone.

#9 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I haven't heaqrd of Blue PC Speed up either, but reading what it took care of, it doesn't seem to be destructive nor a scam. As MJD said, a lot of that stuff is and just a way to get your money. Your computer will build up a lot of old files over time and they will slow things down. As for fixing the 35 "Risks". what Lincoln suggested, SUPERantispyware, is very good and free. It doesn't seem as though it did any harm and your computer is running better, so I guess it is a matter of no harm, no foul.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users