• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compaq Cq56 Laptop Keyboard Keyboard Problem

#1 User is offline   JuanAbreu 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hello all.

I've been having issues with my Compaq Pressario CQ56 laptop keyboard. The keyboard keys are acting like they are set up as shortcut, however they are not set up like that. When I press the U key the Easy of Access comes up, when I press L it locks the computer, The P key opens the screen resolution menu, and many others open menus of any kind. I have tried every single troubleshooting, from Keyboard Language and setup, to Reseting the entire system, and the problem doesn't go away. I even bought a separate keyboard, and its doing the same. My question is, if I reseted the entire system, and the problem is still there, is it a Hardware problem then? should I replace the laptop keyboard?

#2 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi, Juan.

Perhaps your laptop's Fn key, which changes the behavior of other keys, is stuck. At least in some situations, I've seen that effect an external keyboard.

There's an easier way to find out if it's a hardware problem. Try booting from a live Linux CD or flash drive. Either Puppy Linux or Ubuntu will do. These don't effect what's on the hard drive.

If you need more details on doing that, just ask.

Lincoln

#3 User is offline   JuanAbreu 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hello Lincoln,

Thanks for the reply. I tried ubuntu, and the keyboard works perfectly. So, what could be the problem in Windows?, if the fn key is stuck, how can i fix it?

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostJuanAbreu, on 11 March 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Hello Lincoln,

Thanks for the reply. I tried ubuntu, and the keyboard works perfectly. So, what could be the problem in Windows?, if the fn key is stuck, how can i fix it?

If it's only happening in Windows, I don't think it's a stuck fn key. I'd imagine that would effect Linux, too (although I'm not certain of that). Another way to find out is to check your manual, or the little blue icons on your laptop keyboard, to see if it's doing what it would do if you were pressing fn. For instance, if fn-P is supposed to bring up the screen resolution, then that's the problem. If that's the case, try pressing and releasing the fn key and see if that works.

Another question: Does this happen in every Windows program you use?

Lincoln

#5 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

When you say P opens the screen resolution dialog, do you mean the one that says "Computer only/Duplicate/Extend/Projector Only"? If so, based on what it's launching, it sounds like you're dealing with a stuck Start key. (many linux distros don't use that key)
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users