PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Black Screen - Range Out Of Sync - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black Screen - Range Out Of Sync Suddenly having troubles without changing anything

#1 User is offline   Teilchen 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Heya.

I'm new here, so hey to everyone. I'm having a problem with my desktop computer and I'm just not sure how to proceed from here.

For a couple of days now I had the problem that my monitor would suddenly go black while watching a video or playing a game and even though I still could hear sounds and everything, I couldn't access anything. After a forced restart it's working again for some time (read: a day or two with gaming, with watching videos...).
At first I thought Flash was the culprit as I had an update just a day before the trouble started. But after switching to an older Flash version I still had the problem today, but this time I had the message "Sync out of range" on my screen when it went black (that didn't happen before).
When this happened I was working on something in Photoshop and had a youtube playlist running in my browser. After restarting, the problem occurred once more when I got to the Windows logo (the progress bar was messed up and soon after the screen turned black and I had to restart again).

For now it's stable again, but I really need to find out what is causing this...

I'm not sure what informations are needed, so please tell me if I'm missing something.

CPU: 3Ghz
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon x1650 series
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 757DFX
Changes recently made (before the problem started): Newest Flash update, nothing apart from that.

I don't have any spare parts (a friend is mailing me his old video card though, it should be here sometime next week) or another monitor I could try. :s

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out how to proceed from here to find a solution.

Teilchen

#2 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Check connections for the monitor. Make sure they are all secure to the PC as well. Check the connections to the video card, also. I suspect the monitor myself. But having a vid card around to troubleshoot with might be wise.

#3 User is offline   Teilchen 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Cheers, forgot to mention that I already did that. Checked the power connections and the connection to the video card. Cleaned the video card too (though it wasn't really necessary because my monthly cleaning was just 2 weeks before it).

Right now I'm doing a windows update and after I'll uninstall everything ATI related and re-install the drivers. But when it's not fixed with that - could this even be a driver issue? - I am out ideas.

#4 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Just do what you're doing. This could be the beginning of a vid card failure, though. You may have the dreaded "intermittant fault",,, there's nothing for it but to wait and see.

There are video card stress test programs though, just google "video card stress tests".

This post has been edited by ElfBane: 15 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

#5 User is offline   Teilchen 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thanks! :3

I did a stress test for artefacts and there was nothing wrong about it. The card went up to 105 degree Celsius without any troubles and no errors at all. I have seen video cards failing before and this just doesn't feel like it's the card. Betting my money on the driver (which I re-installed and now just have to wait it out -.-) or the monitor. I wish there was an easier way to find out what it is for sure instead of this elimination process.

Edit: Last time I had the issue while booting, I actually got an entry for the event viewer, but I'm none the wiser about what it means:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: SDTV
Event ID: 49170
Date: 14.02.2013
Time: 18:25:52
User: N/A
Computer: FRIDOLIN
Description:
MODE: GXO Execute BIOS Table Error

This post has been edited by Teilchen: 15 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

#6 User is offline   ElfBane 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

That looks like an error for a TV card... do you have one of those installed?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users